How to Pin to Taskbar in Windows 11
Pinning something to the taskbar is a handy, time-saving feature in Windows. Windows 11 is not an exception, allowing you to pin almost anything to the taskbar. The taskbar in Windows 11 now allows you to pin files, folders, drives, and websites.
But how do you pin something to the taskbar? Luckily, we’re going to cover just that in this article.
How to Pin an Open App to Taskbar
You’ll find the Start menu (and Task View and Widgets) pinned to the Windows 11 taskbar by default. However, it’s also possible to add additional applications to it, even the ones running on your computer right now. Taskbar icons appear whenever you launch a new app. Pin the app to the taskbar by following these steps:
- Right-click or press-and-hold on the taskbar app’s icon
- Select Pin to taskbar.
How to Pin an App from the Start Menu
If you often use an app from the Start menu, you may save yourself a step by pinning it to the taskbar.
- Go to the Start menu.
- Right-click on an app’s Start menu button or touch and hold on to its icon.
- Select Pin to taskbar.
The Start Menu in Windows 11 is limited to a few programs, so you may not be able to pin the one you want. If you want to see more applications to pin them, here’s how:
- Click the All apps located at the top right of the screen.
- Right-click or press and hold on to an app in the All Apps list.
- Simply select More, then Pin to Taskbar from the drop-down menu.
How to Pin an App from the Context Menu
The desktop and context menus may be used to pin apps to the taskbar for quick access.
- Right-click the app you wish to keep on the taskbar on your desktop or in File Explorer.
- In the Show more options menu, choose Pin to taskbar.
How to Pin a Folder to the Taskbar in Windows 11
Taskbar pinning lets you quickly access the most frequently used folders, such as work, music, or photos. Just follow the steps below:
- Locate the folder you want to pin.
- Right-click on it.
- Select Show more options followed by Send to and Desktop (create shortcut).
- Right-click or press-and-hold the folder shortcut and select Properties from the menu that pops up on your desktop.
- Add the word explorer and a space in the shortcut tab in front of the Target.
- Click Apply.
- Click or press the Change icon button.
- Enter imageres.dll in the search field and click Enter. Select a folder icon that you prefer from the show options, and then click/tap OK.
- Select OK from the Folder Properties menu.
- Your shortcut icon should be changed to that of the icon you picked on your desktop. By pressing and holding the folder shortcut, you’ll see Show more options and then Pin to taskbar.
The folder you selected has been added to the taskbar as a shortcut. It’s as simple as clicking or swiping. When you hover your mouse pointer over a pinned folder icon on the taskbar, you won’t see a thumbnail preview. The icon for File Explorer will reflect this.
How to Pin a File to Taskbar
Alternatively, you may pin a file you’re currently working on to always be at your fingertips. The steps are similar to pinning a folder to the taskbar in Windows 11.
- Navigate to the file that you wish to pin.
- Right-click it.
- Choose Show more options, then Send to and Desktop (create shortcut).
- Right-click or hold down on the folder shortcut and pick Properties from the desktop menu that appears.
- In the shortcut tab, in front of the Target path, type the word explorer and add a space.
- Click the Apply button.
- Select the button labeled Change icon.
- In the search area, type imageres.dll and press Enter. Choose a folder icon from the available selections, and click/tap OK.
- Click OK from the Folder Properties option.
- The shortcut’s icon should be modified to match the icon you selected on your desktop. By pressing and holding the folder shortcut, Show more options and Pin to taskbar will appear.
How to Pin a Drive to Taskbar
With many drives installed on your computer, you may easily access them by pinning them to the taskbar.
- Launch File Explorer on your computer.
- Find the drive you want to pin.
- Create a shortcut by right-clicking or pressing and holding on the drive and selecting Send to and Desktop (create shortcut). The drive’s shortcut will appear on the desktop.
- Right-click or hold down the drive shortcut and then select Properties from the resulting desktop menu.
- In the shortcut tab, type the term explorer followed by a space in front of the Target path.
- Click Apply.
- Select the Change icon option.
imageres.dllin the search field and hit Enter. Choose a folder icon from the available possibilities and then click/tap OK.
- From the Properties window, click OK.
- The shortcut’s icon should be changed to match the desktop icon you picked. Select Show more options, and then Pin to taskbar will appear when you press and hold the folder shortcut.
How to Pin a Website to Taskbar
There’s nothing better than accessing all of the websites you visit daily with a single click. Fortunately, Microsoft Edge makes it simple to add them to the taskbar.
- Open the Microsoft Edge browser.
- Open up the website that you wish to pin.
- Go to the three-dot menu and select Settings and more, followed by More Tools and Pin to Taskbars.
It is possible to pin websites and webpages that you browse in Chrome instead of Microsoft Edge. For example, you may set up a shortcut such that when you click on its icon in the taskbar, Chrome and Gmail open immediately. You can do this by following these steps:
- In Google Chrome, open Gmail.
- Type in your email address and select Next on the Sign-in page.
- Don’t enter your password on the following page. Instead, click or tap the three-dot menu.
- Go to More Tools, followed by Create a Shortcut.
- You’ll be asked to give the shortcut a name. In this section, you can customize the shortcut to be easier to identify.
- Click Create when you’re finished.
- You’ll see a Gmail shortcut on your computer’s desktop. To pin the shortcut to your taskbar, just right-click or press-and-hold the shortcut icon.
On your taskbar, the page icon will appear as the “G” logo of Google. Now all you have to do is click on it and enter your Gmail password. Fortunately, Gmail isn’t the only place you can use this function. You can easily pin any webpage to your taskbar by following these instructions.
Use Your Taskbar to the Fullest
With all the possibilities that the Windows 11 taskbar gives its users, accessing your go-to files and applications is easier than ever. However, it’s recommended that you don’t clutter your taskbar with too many applications. Pin only the things you use most often to avoid this.
Do you often pin things to your taskbar? What do you pin the most? Let us know in the comment section below!