How to Play Music in Discord
Most people use Discord to communicate with each other while playing their favorite video games. Whenever you add music to your Discord voice chats, you make the whole experience much more immersive and entertaining. But how, exactly, can you play songs while chatting with friends in Discord?
In this article, we’ll present you with two simple ways to play tunes while using Discord.
How to Play Music in Discord
There are only two methods for playing music in Discord.
- Use a bot and connect your account to Spotify.
- Play music using a Mic.
How to Add a Music Bot to Discord
Adding a music bot to Discord generally goes as follows:
- Create a server in your Discord with the “+” symbol.
- Name the server and your region.
- Go to a bot’s website and click on the “Invite” or “Add” button.
- Log in to your Discord account.
- Select a server for your music bot, pass the verification, and that’s all there is to it.
How to Play Music in a Discord Call
To include music in your Discord calls, you can set up a bot called Groovy. Here’s how it works:
- Go to the Groovy.bot website, and hit the purple “Add to Discord” button.
- Select a server, press “Authorize,” and check the “I’m not a robot” box.
- Join a voice channel and tell Groovy which song you want the bot to play with the “–play“ command. For instance, you can say, “-play Despacito by Luis Fonsi.”
How to Play Music in Discord Through a Mic
Playing music in Discord through a mic works the same way as through a call. You can also use Groovy and the “–play” command. But first, you’ll need to change some microphone settings on your PC:
- Go to your “Control Panel.”
- Navigate to “Hardware & Sound,” followed by “Manage Audio Devices.”
- Access the “Recording” options.
- Enable “Stereo Mix” and set it to the “default mic.”
You can now join a voice chat and start playing music using Groovy.
How to Play Music in Discord on Android
If you’re using an Android device, you can select a Discord bot from the discordbots.org website. Once you’re there, here’s what you need to do next:
- Hit the “Music” tab to see the list of available music bots. Some of the most popular options are Sinon, MedalBot, and Astolfo.
- Press “View” to find out more about a specific bot and tap the “Invite” button on the bot you wish to add.
- Log in to your Discord account. This will redirect you to the bot’s website, where you’ll need to select a server where you want to play music.
- Tap “Authorize” and the “I’m not a robot” box, which installs the bot to your Discord account.
- Open Discord and head to the “Menu.”
- From the list of servers, choose the one on which you added the bot.
- Join a voice channel and enter the command that tells the bot to play the music. You can find the commands on the bot’s website.
How to Play Music in Discord on iPhone
The MEE6 bot is an excellent choice for playing music in Discord on your iPhone. To set it up, take the following steps:
- Go to MEE6’s website and log in to your Discord account
- Authorize the bot to enter your account.
- Choose the server to which you want to add the bot
- Tap “Plugins” and press “Music.” If this function was previously disabled, tap on “Add.”
- Launch Discord and join a voice channel.
- Type “!search” and enter the song or artist. The bot will list the results.
- Enter the number of the song and add it to your playlist.
- Type “!play” to start listening to music.
How to Play Music in Discord Channel
FredBoat is another bot that lets you play music in Discord. This bot is how you can use the bot:
- Navigate to the Discord login link. If you’re not already logged in to your account, it will redirect you to the log in screen.
- Authorize the bot to access your account and pass the captcha verification to add the bot to your discord account.
- Select a server the bot will use and join a Discord channel.
How to Play Music in Discord Using Rythm Bot
Rythm is one of the most well-known music bots for Discord. Here’s how to get the bot and play music with it:
- Head to the Rythm website and press the “Add to Discord” button located to your right.
- Log in to your Discord account and choose the server where you want to add the bot.
- Hit the “Authorize” button near the bottom of the pop-up window. Check the “I’m not a robot” box, and the bot will be added to the server.
- Open Discord and select the server where the Rythm bot is installed.
- Join a voice channel.
- Type “!play,” followed by a space and the artist or song you wish to listen to. Hit “Enter” and the bot will search for the artist or song on YouTube and play it.
How to Find the Right Discord Music Bot
We’ve named a few Discord bots in this article, including Rythm, Groovy, and FredBoat. Consider the following features when deciding on the right Discord music bot should be a lot easier:
Rythm is one of the most reliable bots you can find. It supports a variety of music sources, such as Twitch, YouTube, and SoundCloud. Moreover, the bot is 100 percent stable, meaning you won’t experience lags in your music.
The most significant benefit of Groovy is that it’s easy to use. It also supports various customization options, such as showing lyrics and shuffling. Overall, it’s an outstanding addition to your Discord server.
FredBoat is very similar to Groovy. The bot is simple and has many valuable features. For example, FredBoat lets you determine who changes the playlists.
How to Play Music in Discord Without a Bot
The only way to play music in Discord without a bot is to connect it to Spotify:
- Launch Discord and go to your “User Settings.”
- Choose “Connections” and locate the Spotify icon under the “Connect Your Accounts” tab.
- Click on the icon, and you’ll be redirected to Spotify’s login page.
- Once the process is over, a notification should say “Connected Your Spotify Account to Discord.”
- Head to Discord and scroll down to check the connection.
You can now start listening to your favorite songs and artists on Discord.
As you can see, setting up music on Discord takes just a few clicks. Connect your Spotify account or see which bot works best, and all your tunes will be in your Discord sessions in no time.
Additional Discord Music FAQs
Here are the answers to some more of your frequently asked questions about Discord music.
What Is the Best Music Bot for Discord?
There are numerous Discord bots to choose from, but Rythm may be the superior bot. As previously mentioned, it lets you play music from various sources, and there’s no risk of lagging. Moreover, the bot is continuously updated, meaning that your service is always at the highest level possible.
Can I play Pandora on Discord?
Unfortunately, Discord does not support Pandora. At the time of writing, there isn’t a Discord bot to make this work either.
But, all hope isn’t lost. With millions of Pandora users, it’s incredibly inconvenient to get left with only Spotify compatibility. Sometimes, the only option is to submit a feature request to Discord. You can submit feedback to Discord and make feature requests. More specifically, there are already a plethora of Pandora-related requests here.
Visit this page and upvote the existing Pandora requests.
Are there any bots that can play music in a private or group call?
Unfortunately no. Many users have requested the option, but there are no bots available to play music in group or private calls. The only workaround to this issue is to create a private server and invite the member(s) to that server to play music using the instructions above.