Prime Video Not Working – How To Fix
Like any streaming service, you may experience technical issues with Amazon Prime. These can range from visual problems, performance issues, to the service not working at all.
Luckily, there are numerous fixes you can try to resolve the issue. In this article, we’ll show you some tips and tricks to deploy if Prime Video is not working.
Prime Video Not Working on a Firestick
If Prime Video has stopped working via your Firestick, you can try restarting the Firestick, updating the Prime Video app, or clearing the Firestick cache. Follow these steps to do so:
Restart Your Firestick
You can restart your Firestick in two ways:
- On the Firestick remote, long-press the “Select” and “Play/Pause” buttons together.
- Alternatively, you can restart via your home screen. Select “Settings,” “Device,” then “Restart.”
Once the restart is complete, try opening the Prime Video app to see if the problem is resolved.
Update the Prime Video App
To update the app:
- Locate the Prime Video app, then press the “Menu” button. The menu will appear in the lower-right corner of your screen.
- To go to the detail page, choose “More Info.”
- There will be an “Update” button if an update is available.
- Click on it to update to the latest version of Prime Video.
Clear Firestick Cache
To clear the temporary app data and cache on your Firestick:
- On your Firestick, navigate to “Settings.”
- Choose “Applications.”
- Via “Manage Installed Applications,” choose the Prime Video app.
- Select “Clear Cache” then “Clear Data.”
Prime Video Not Working on a Samsung TV
If you’re experiencing problems with Amazon Prime Video via your Samsung TV. Try rebooting your TV, checking for software updates, or freeing up some bandwidth:
Reboot Your TV
To reboot your Samsung set:
- Long-press the power button for about five seconds on your remote until your TV restarts.
- Start the Prime Video app to see if this resolved the problem. If not, try disconnecting the TV from the power source.
- Press and release the power button on your TV.
- After two minutes, plug the power cable back in.
Check for TV Software Updates
There could be a problem with the Samsung software. The process to check for updates may vary, but the general steps are as follows:
- Navigate to “Settings” then “Support.”
- Choose “Software Update” then “Update.”
- Any new updates will be downloaded and installed onto your TV. Leave your TV on whilst it takes a few minutes to complete the update.
Check for Active VPNs or Downloads
Prime Video requires a good internet connection to work well. If bandwidth-intensive activity happens on your network as you try to use the app, this can cause performance issues. Ensure nobody is downloading large files, gaming, or streaming. If you use a VPN, try disabling it, as it can also cause problems.
Prime Video Not Working on Apple TV
Your problems with Prime Video via your Apple TV could be because the app needs updating or some other problem with your Apple TV software. Try the following fixes to resolve the issue:
Update the Prime Video App
Running an outdated version of Prime Video can cause problems. To check for app updates, the steps may vary. However, in general, they are as follows:
- Navigate to and open the app store on your Apple TV.
- Find the “Amazon Prime Video” app and select it.
- Click the “Install” button, and “Update” will appear if an update is available.
- Click on it, then wait for the update to complete.
Reset Your Apple TV
Resetting your Apple TV to its original factory settings is a sure way to fix any software issues. Again, the steps may vary slightly, but here’s how to reset your Apple TV:
- From the main menu, go to “Settings.”
- Choose “System.”
- Select the “Reset” option, then go to “Restore.”
Wait while your Apple TV is restored to factory settings.
Prime Video Not Working on an Android TV
If the app is not working as expected via your Android TV, try checking your internet connection, or checking for updates:
Ensure Your Network Is Up and Running
Your internet connection should be at least:
- 900 Kbits/sec for Standard Definition (SD)
- Mbits/sec for High Definition (HD) videos
Try placing your router closer to your TV if you’re accessing via Wi-Fi. Follow these steps to check your connection:
- Disconnect your router or modem and TV.
- Wait for a minute or so.
- Plug everything back in.
Now, reconnect to the internet and see if the problem with the Prime Video app has been resolved.
Check for a Prime Video App Update
It could be that the Prime Video app has not been updated. You can set your TV to update all apps automatically. In the meantime, follow these steps to update the Prime Video app manually:
- Launch the “App Store” on your TV.
- Find the “Prime Video” app, and open the “Details page.”
- If an update is available, the “Update” option will appear. Click on it and wait for the update to complete.
Check for Software TV Updates
Generally, to update the software on your Android TV, the steps are as follows:
- Navigate to “Settings” then “All Settings/Support.”
- Choose “Software Update.”
- If available, select “Network.”
- Select “Yes” or “OK” to install the “Update.”
Prime Video Not Working on a PC
If you’re not accessing the Prime Video app via your computer, you could try disabling your VPN or any third-party apps or rebooting the browser:
Disable VPN and Third-Party Apps
Unfortunately, the Amazon Prime Video app doesn’t always work well with VPNs. If your VPN is connected, try disconnecting it, then restarting the app.
If you’re not using VPN, disable third-party apps like ad-blocker and antivirus software. Apps like these can conflict with Prime Video and cause problems.
Reboot Your Browser
First, ensure that everything is okay with your Amazon Prime Video account:
- Navigate to Amazon and sign in to your account.
- Go to your “Account” page to check your account is active.
- Make sure you have the latest browser version installed
- Reboot your PC, then open a new browser to access Prime Video
- Or, try accessing using a different browser
Get Your Prime Video Service Back
The Amazon Prime Video app offers a relatively stable streaming service. However, viewers can experience problems when something is wrong with their setup. When these problems arise, there are several common fixes you can try. Things like ensuring your network connection is stable, and the Prime Video app and TV software is up-to-date can often resolve the issue. Also, not forgetting a good old restart of the device or browser to clear any conflicts.
Do you have a favorite Amazon Prime Video original show that you enjoy watching? If so, tell us about it in the comments section below.