How to Remove People From Close Friends on Instagram
Instagram allows us to connect to numerous people virtually, so we won’t always feel comfortable sharing every minute detail of our lives with them. But the app comes with the handy “Close Friends” feature that allows us to upload stories only a select few users will be allowed to see.
This guide will go over how you can carefully curate your “Close Friends” selection by removing users from it. Keep on reading to learn how to get more control over your Instagram stories’ visibility.
Instagram works well with all mobile devices, so you’ll be able to make the most of the “Close Friends” feature on your iPhone, iPad, or Android device.
iPhone users can decide who has permission to go through their more personal posts by adjusting their “Close Friends” list and removing certain users. To do so:
- Launch the Instagram app on your iPhone and tap your profile image icon.
- Select the three lines in the upper-right section of your profile page.
- Choose the “Close Friends” option.
- You’ll now see your Instagram “Close Friends” list. Scroll down the list until you find the user you want to remove.
- Click on the “Remove” button, to do the removal of that friend of yours.
You can also mark certain users as “Close Friends” and grant them access to your private stories. To add their profiles to your list:
- Open the Instagram app on your iPhone.
- Select “Settings” and press “Close Friends.”
- Go to the search field and enter the username of the person you want to include in your Close Friends list.
- Tap the “Add” option beside their username and tap “Done” to finish the action.
Restricting someone’s access to your “Close Friends” stories on an iPad is a relatively straightforward process. Here’s how to do it:
- Enter your iPad’s Instagram app.
- Select your profile image at the lower-right end of the screen to open your Instagram profile.
- Click the three lines in the top-right part of your Instagram profile page.
- Tap “Close Friends” to generate the list.
- Go through the list until you spot the person you wish to remove. Press the name of the person you want to remove, to stop them from seeing your “Close Friends” posts.
The “Close Friends” feature also allows you to add users to the list and customize your Instagram experience. To mark someone as a “Close Friend” on your iPad:
- Open your device’s Instagram app.
- Locate your profile image at the bottom right corner.
- Now in your profile, choose the lines in the upper right corner of your account.
- Scroll or type the username of the person you wish to follow in the search field.
- When their profile pops up, just tap their name and select “Done”.
The app is compatible with Android devices, allowing you to remove users from your “Close Friends” list. To do so:
- Enter your device’s Instagram app.
- Tap your profile image in the lower-right corner of the interface to access your profile page.
- Choose the three lines in the top-right of your Instagram profile.
- Press “Close Friends” to view your friend list.
- Scroll down until you see the user you want to remove from the list. Tap the name of the person you wish to remove to prevent them from viewing your “Close Friends” posts.
You can use your Android device to grant users more access to your stories for more control over your Instagram connections. To select someone as a “Close Friend”:
- Launch the Instagram app.
- Locate your profile image at the bottom right of your screen.
- In your profile, go to the three lines at the top of your account, click on the “Close Friends”
- Tap on name of the person you want to add to your “Close Friends” circle and click on “Done”.
Will my Close Friends receive a notification when I make a new post?
The users on your “Close Friends” list won’t receive official notification when uploading a “Close Friends” post. However, your photo or video will be at the beginning of their Instagram Story tab on their homepage. The story will also have a green circle around it, alerting your followers that you’ve selected them to be your Instagram Close Friends.
How does Instagram make Close Friends suggestions?
When you adjust your “Close Friends” list, you’ll see an autogenerated “Suggestions” section. It’s basically a selection of people that Instagram believes you might want to share more private posts. While it’s not entirely clear how the app makes this selection, it’s most likely that these are accounts you engage with the most or users you chat with often.
If you see a user you want to give viewing access to more personal posts, just tap the “Add” button next to their username. This action will automatically categorize them as your Instagram close friend.
How will I know whether someone has added me to their Instagram Close Friends?
You are the only person who has access to your “Close Friends” list. None of your followers will be able to see whether you’ve included them on the list. Likewise, you have no way of knowing whether someone has marked you as their Instagram close friend. You’ll only know when the person uploads a “Close Friends” story. The post will have a green circle around it, indicating that only the person’s close friends will be able to view the story.
How do I remove my profile from someone’s “Close Friends” list?
No method will allow you to remove your profile from someone’s “Close Friends” list. However, you can reach out to the person and ask them to take your name off their list. If you feel uncomfortable doing so, you also have the option of unfollowing their Instagram profile or blocking them. You’ll lose all access to their posts, and they won’t be able to keep track of your Instagram activity.
Until Instagram rolls out a more convenient solution, these are the only steps you can take to have your name removed from someone’s “Close Friends” list.
How long are “Close Friends” stories visible?
Once you upload a photo or video as a “Close Friends” story, it will remain visible for up to 24 hours. You can also display the story as a Highlight on your profile page and save it from disappearing. But only your Close Friends will be able to view it. You cannot share this story with users who are not on your “Close Friends” list.
How many people can I include on my “Close Friends” list?
Instagram hasn’t restricted how many people you can add to the list.
How will I know when someone has removed me from their “Close Friends” section?
While there’s no exact way to determine whether someone has taken your profile off their list, you can still get a good idea based on their story uploads. If they’ve only been posting public stories with a pink circle around them, they’ve either stopped uploading “Close Friends” stories or limited your viewing access.
Keep Your Instagram Friends Close
Instagram has opened up our online lives to increased scrutiny, but there are ways you can control how much of your virtual activity is readily available to others. The “Close Friends” feature is useful in allowing only people you trust to keep track of what and when you’re posting.
Do you have an Instagram “Close Friends” list? Have you recently removed some users from it? Let us know in the comments below.