How to Remove Trends from Twitter
Twitter’s platform is designed to provide quick, minute-by-minute, updates on everything from news to entertainment. But, what can you do if uninteresting topics continue appearing in the Trending section of your Twitter feed?
While Twitter’s algorithm pushes topics to your feed that you may find interesting, the company gives you some control over what you see. This article will teach you how to remove trends from Twitter.
How to Remove Trends on Twitter
To better curate the content you see, especially Twitter trends, we’ll need to take different steps for different devices.
How to Remove Trends on Twitter – Web Browser
The web browser version of Twitter lets users remove trends in the Settings. As opposed to the mobile app, you don’t need to wait for a trend to appear before removing it. Whether you’re using a Mac, Chromebook, or PC, here is how to remove trends that aren’t interesting:
- Use a web browser to log into your Twitter account. Then, click the More icon in the lower left corner.
- Click on Settings & Privacy.
- Click on Privacy and safety.
- Click on Content you see.
- Click on Interests.
- Scroll through the list and uncheck any topics you aren’t interested.
Now, when you click the Trending tab, Twitter knows you’re not interested in these topics, and they should disappear.
How to Remove Trends on Twitter – Android
Android users can remove content directly from the Trending or For You sections of Twitter. Here’s how:
- Open the Twitter app and tap on the Search icon at the bottom.
- Tap on For You or Trending at the top.
- Locate the trend you’d like to remove. Then, tap the Three dot icon to the right.
- Tap on Not interested in this.
The trend will disappear from your feed. You can do this for anything from Politics to gaming.
How to Remove Trends on Twitter iOS
iOS users also have the option to remove entire topics from their For You and Trending feeds. Rather than traveling to Twitter’s settings, you’ll need to follow these steps:
- Open the Twitter app and tap on the Search icon at the bottom of the page.
- Tap on For You or Trending.
- Tap the three dot icon to the right of the trend you don’t want to see.
- Tap on Not interested in this.
How to Mute Tweets Based on Keywords
If you don’t want to hide all trends but only those you aren’t interested in, here’s how you can do it.
- Go to “Settings” and then to the “Mute” option (Notifications>Preferences). You can mute specific keywords in addition to users.
- Type the words or phrases that you’d like to mute. Sometimes one keyword won’t be enough to mute all tweets about a particular topic. You can type as many words as you like.
- Choose how long you’d like to mute tweets containing your chosen words. Your options include one day, one week, and one month. Of course, if you’ve had enough, you can hide them forever too!
Chrome Extensions to Hide Twitter Trends
A couple of years ago, there was a Chrome extension that allowed you to hide Twitter trends. It was called ‘Hide Twitter Guff’and was free to download. Now, there is an extension titled “Hide Twitter Trends” by ‘moath.dev.’
In closing, Twitter is a great place to have fun and get informed about current events. However, you don’t have to keep following news and hashtags that you’re not interested in. The methods described above are one way to narrow down what you see in Twitter Trends.