How to Remove Trends from Twitter
Some users like to follow trends on Twitter, while others find it irritating. Many use the platform as a source of daily news, while others are interested in other topics.
If you stopped watching TV because you aren’t interested in celebrities, politics, and gossip talk, it is understandable that you don’t want to see these topics on Twitter either. Unfortunately, there’s no option to remove Twitter trends with one simple click. We’ll show you what you can do instead.
Option 1: Hide Twitter Trends Automatically
In many instances, users complain that ‘Trends for You’ is entirely irrelevant. That section is supposed to be informative and show you tweets that you might like, and it’s based on the hottest events happening around you. Twitter believes that you shouldn’t miss anything! But what if you’re simply not interested?
Your location and the people you follow have the most substantial impact on the ‘Trends for You’ section. Sometimes, this scenario is irritating. If you are using Twitter to communicate with people worldwide, you probably aren’t interested in the local drama happening in your community.
The Twitter algorithm isn’t perfect, and it sometimes keeps showing you irrelevant things. No one can tell for sure how it works. However, there’s a way to hide annoying tweets and give yourself peace of mind. Here’s how to do it.
- Enter Twitter and go to “Settings.”
- Click on “Trends for You.”
- There, you’ll see all the trends that Twitter’s algorithm recommends for you. Click on the “Show more” option.
- Turn off “Trends for You” with a simple slide of a button.
There you have it! You won’t be seeing trends based on your location anymore, but you’ll still see world trends.
Option 2: Mute Tweets Based on Keywords
If you don’t want to hide all trends but only those that you aren’t interested in, here’s how you can do it.
- Go to “Settings” then to the “Mute” option. You can mute specific keywords in addition to users.
- Type the words or phrases that you’d like to mute. Sometimes one keyword won’t be enough to mute all tweets about a particular topic. You can type as many words as you like.
- Choose how long you’d like to mute tweets containing your chosen words. Your options include one day, one week, and one month. Of course, if you’ve had enough, you can hide them forever too!
Option 3: Chrome Extensions to Hide Twitter Trends
A couple of years ago, there was a Chrome extension that allowed you to hide Twitter trends. It was called ‘Hide Twitter Guff’and was free to download. Now, there is an extension titled “Hide Twitter Trends” by ‘moath.dev.’
In closing, Twitter is a great place to have fun and get informed about current events. However, you don’t have to keep following news and hashtags that you’re not interested in. The methods described above are one way to narrow down what you see in Twitter Trends.