How to Report Spam Text Messages
These days it seems like spammers are everywhere and chances are you’ve already received spam messages of some kind. As if robocalls and dubious emails weren’t enough, spammers also invade our SMS inboxes. And they can be harmful in many ways because their primary purpose is to lure you into giving away your personal data.
The best thing to do is to report such activity. And if you’d like to know how, you’ve come to the right place. In this article, we’ll explain how to report spam text messages across providers and devices. You’ll also learn how to protect your devices from receiving such messages in the future.
How to Report Spam Text Messages to the FTC
Spammers often send suspicious messages aimed at tricking you into giving them your personal info, including your bank account number, passwords, or even your Social Security number. Whether it’s by offering free prizes, low-interest credit cards, or promising to pay off your loans, the scammers’ tricks can be pretty convincing.
Whenever you receive a message of this kind, the first thing to remember is never to click on the links attached to it. No actual company will ever ask you for important information by text.
The best way to fight these annoying texts is to report them. There are several ways to report unwanted messages:
- Via the messaging app you use. Just find the “Report Junk” or “Report Spam” option.
- Copy the spam text you received and send it to 7726 (SPAM), a spam-reporting hotline managed by the Federal Trade Commission (FTC).
- Report the message to the FTC via this link. You can report a company, a scam, or an unwanted call. It also lets you see what scam campaigns are active in your state.
To report a message to FTC, just press the “Report Now” button on the website and follow the instructions. They’ll ask you to fill in the information related to the message and have you share as many details as possible. There will also be a comment box to further describe the case. Just make sure not to leave any sensitive information there.
How to Report Spam Text Messages to Verizon
Verizon, just like other mobile carriers, tries to fight spammers and protect its users from spam text messages. You can use a few methods to fight spam messages as a Verizon user:
Block Spam Texts on MyVerizon
Verizon lets you block texts through your account. Here’s how to do so:
- Log into MyVerizon.
- Click on “Plan.”
- Select “Blocks.”
- Select the line you wish to manage.
- Click “Block calls and messages.”
- Enter the number you wish to block.
- Choose “Save.”
MyVerizon lets you block up to five numbers for 90 days free of charge.
Forward and Report the Message to Verizon
Alternately, you can report spam messages free of charge by forwarding the text to 7726 (SPAM). As you copy the message, make sure not to click on any links in it. Verizon will ask you for the spammer’s number and further examine the case.
Report Spam With Verizon Messages (Messages+)
You can report spam on Verizon Messages (Message+) by doing the following:
- Tap and hold the text (but be careful not to click on any links.)
- Tap “Report Spam.”
The message will also be deleted from your inbox.
Block Spammers With Verizon Smart Family
Spammers can just as easily attack your children’s phones. To protect your kids from such attacks, follow the steps below:
- Log into Verizon Smart Family.
- Select a child from the top of the screen.
- Tap on “Contacts.”
- Select “Blocked Contacts.”
- Tap “Block a Number.”
- Insert the number you wish to block.
- Hit “Save.”
As you can see, there are many ways to block spammers on Verizon. Feel free to apply the steps that address your situation most effectively.
How to Report Spam Text Messages to AT&T
Whenever you receive a suspicious text message, you can report it to AT&T by doing the following:
- Forward the text to 7726. The process is free of charge and doesn’t count toward your text plan.
- Call 611 (it immediately connects you with your wireless provider) and ask for their Fraud Department or forward the text message to AT&T’s Anti-Phishing Working Group. The email is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Report robotexts here. Just make sure to never reply or click on links in suspicious texts.
- Fill out this form on AT&T’s website to let them know about spam calls or messages. The provider will then run the phone number through their database of reported spam and take action if necessary.
How to Report Spam Text Messages to T-Mobile
T-Mobile has a special app to help you prevent spam messages from reaching your inbox. It’s called Scam Shield. You can activate Scam Block and Caller ID, see which calls T-Mobile blocked for you, or report instances of spam and scams.
If you received a message you believe may be a scam, don’t respond, even if it seems like it’s coming from a person you know. Also, don’t click on any links in the text message. But make sure to change your T-Mobile ID password if you accidentally opened any of the links.
You can report spam to T-Mobile’s Spam Reporting Service by copying the message and sending it to 7726. Here’s how to do so:
- Tap and hold the message text and hit “Copy.”
- Start a new message and paste the text. Make sure not to edit the text or add comments.
- Send the message to 7726 (spells “SPAM” on most keypads.)
T-Mobile will send you a confirmation text and forward your message to their Security Center for further investigation. This Center is a system linked to a global database of potential spam numbers. Your details will be encrypted, so you don’t have to worry about giving away your identity. However, the information received from your message may be shared with government agencies that fight against fraudulent actions.
How to Report Spam Text Messages From Email Addresses
Protecting yourself from individual spam messages and phone numbers is easy, but what happens when the spam text message comes from an email address? So far, there’s no 100% efficient way of addressing the issue. There are, however, a few tools to help you fight the problem:
For Android Users
If you use Google’s messaging app, you’ll be pleased to learn about a dedicated spam filter that automatically removes spam texts. You can enable it by following the steps below:
- Launch the messages app.
- Tap on the three dots in the top right-hand of the screen.
- Navigate to “Settings” from the drop-down menu.
- Select a SIM card.
- Tap “Spam Protection.”
- Enable the toggle button next to “Enable Spam Protection.”
If you have a Samsung phone with the latest Android version, you can tap on the message in question and select “Block Contact” from the three-dotted menu in the upper right-hand.
For iPhone Users
iOS has a great feature to filter spam messages. Here’s how to enable it:
- Go to “Settings.”
- Select “Messages.”
- Switch on the “Filter Unknown Senders” button.
There will now be a specific tab in your app for Unknown Senders and all spam messages will go there.
Prevent Email Address Spams With Your Carrier’s Help
The more the spam issue grows, the more mobile carriers try to find new methods to fight it. Some carriers offer ways to combat email address spam texts. Here’s an overview of their services:
- T-Mobile’s “Message Blocking” service blocks TMOmail.net emails as well as incoming chargeable messages.
- Verizon’s “Block Calls and Messages” service blocks emails and domains in your account.
- AT&T’s “Call Protect” blocks messages from specific 10-digit numbers. You can also report spam messages coming from email addresses by forwarding the text to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to Report Spam Text Messages on the iPhone
iPhone users can use the Messages app to block unwanted messages, filter those coming from unknown numbers, or report spam and junk texts.
When you get a message from a sender who’s not on your contact list, it may get identified by spam or junk. You can always report these messages to Apple, and here’s how:
- Open the message in question.
- Tap on the “Report Junk” button under the message. This option will be available if the sender isn’t on your contact list.
- Tap on “Delete and Report Junk.”
The message will now be permanently deleted from your inbox without the possibility of retrieval. Also, the sender’s info – including the number and the message – will be sent to Apple.
Note: When you report spam or junk, the sender can still send you messages. Try blocking the number to stop receiving any messages from that number in the future.
You can report spam and junk messages via SMS and MMS by contacting your carrier. For further details, check the dedicated sections for each carrier above.
Win the Battle Against Spam
Many marketers use aggressive marketing campaigns that often result in spamming our inboxes. And in the worst scenario, others send fraudulent links to trick people into revealing their personal information, which can lead to identity theft, credit card misuse, and many other issues.
It’s essential to know how to protect yourself and report any instances of spam. This article has provided you with all the necessary information to report spam across providers. If you ever get puzzled, remember that you can always forward a spam message to 7726, and your provider will take care of it.
What type of spam messages do you receive? How do you handle the situation? Share your experiences in the comments section below.