How to Report a User on Discord from a PC or Mobile Device
Discord may be a synonym for disagreement, but it doesn’t mean you can’t be nice when exchanging opinions. This chat app can be an excellent way to spend your free time communicating with members interested in topics you like.
However, it’s not unheard of that sometimes a simple misunderstanding or different opinion can lead to a more serious dispute. It happens often online, where you can’t see how your words affect others.
If you experience an unpleasant situation on Discord and wish to report someone’s inappropriate comments or behavior, here’s how to do so.
How to Report a User on Discord using the iPhone App
Reporting a user on Discord is a straightforward process on iPhones, and other iOS devices, such as iPads. The complaint process is easier to use than on a desktop computer, where you must enter specific ID codes.
Thankfully, iPhones make reporting users on Discord simple. However, the fact that the process is so quick doesn’t mean you should report any objectionable messages. You should ensure that the specific user is breaking Discord’s rules.
Note: You can only report an existing message. If the message is deleted, you can no longer do that. Keeping all your communications, even if hurtful, is essential until the problem is resolved.
- Locate the message you want to report and tap and hold the top of the message.
- From the pop-up menu, choose “Report” at the bottom of the screen.
If the above method to report Discord users doesn’t work, enable Developer Mode and report them using the user ID and message ID.
Report Someone on Discord using Their IDs on Your iPhone:
If you need to report someone’s Discord account on an iPhone, follow these steps:
- Open the “Discord app” on your iPhone. Then, tap the “profile icon” in the lower right-hand corner.
- Locate and select “Appearance.”
- Turn on “Developer Mode.”
- Now, get the necessary IDs to report the user—their ID and the message ID.
- To get the user’s ID, open their “profile,” tap on the “three-dot icon” in the top right corner, and choose “Copy ID” from the options.
- To copy the message ID, locate the message you want to report, tap and hold, and select “Copy Message Link” from the list.
Note: Don’t forget to paste the first ID somewhere so that you can copy it later. The second ID you copy will overwrite it if you don’t paste it somewhere first. For example, you can use the Notes app on your iPhone.
- Once you’ve collected the IDs, go to the Discord Trust & Safety Center and file your report so the Discord team can evaluate it. Provide the copied IDs and a short explanation of the issue in the Description box.
How to Report a User or Message on Discord using the Android App
Reporting a user on the Android app works similarly to iOS.
- Launch the “Discord app” on your phone or tablet.
- Open the user settings: Tap your “profile image” to access the menu.
- Scroll to the “App Settings” tab and tap it to open it.
- From the new screen, choose “Behavior.”
- Under “CHAT BEHAVIOR,” turn on “Developer Mode.”
- Once you’ve enabled Developer Mode, find the message you want to report and its author. Tap the user’s “profile image” to open their profile. Select “Copy ID.”
- Tap and hold the message and then choose “Share.”
- Select “Copy to clipboard.”
- Paste the “User ID” and the Message ID into the “Description box” in the “Trust and Safety Center” menu, then describe your issue.
After you submit your report, the Discord team will tackle it when possible.
Of course, you can always report hate speech or a similar issue to the moderators of a server. Some problems get resolved by talking to a user first if they wrote something that doesn’t align with the guidelines.
How to Report a User on Discord using the Desktop App
Are you using the Discord app on your computer? The Discord Support website was the only way to submit a Discord violator on a PC. Unfortunately, Discord removed the option in July of 2023. The entire Trust & Safety menu was removed. Therefore, there is no longer a way to report users on a Windows, Mac, or Linux PC. Discord’s response to the furious and confused Discord community was to tell them to use the mobile reporting system, which doesn’t do much either.
How to Report a Discord User for Being Under 13
Most social platforms will only allow you to create a profile if you’re over 13. Unfortunately, it’s not always possible to prove someone’s younger than this age. Still, if you have a reason to suspect someone has been breaking this rule, you can report them and let the Discord team take it from there. However, you should know that Discord probably won’t ban this person unless you have solid proof of their age.
When someone’s toxic or even cruel in an environment where you should make friends and have fun, you must do something. Reporting a user who’s inappropriate on Discord doesn’t only benefit you, but it can also make everyone else’s experience on this platform much better.
Why should anyone have to deal with rude comments or behavior online? You wouldn’t put up with such things in the real world, so there’s no need to tolerate harassment in the virtual world.
Reporting Discord Abuse FAQs
Can I Easily Block Someone on Discord?
Yes. You can use any device to block someone’s direct messages or profile; then, you won’t be able to see each other on the platform anymore.
1. If you only want to block the messages, open the Privacy Settings by clicking the down arrow in the upper left corner of the screen, next to the server’s name.
2. Switch the toggle to turn off the Allow direct messages from server members option.
1. If you want to block a user, click a person’s username to open their profile.
2. Click the three-dot icon next to the Send Friend Request button.
3. A dropdown menu will appear, select Block, and that’s it.
When Is It Appropriate to Report a User on Discord?
As mentioned, it’s essential to be sure that someone’s behavior or messages are breaking Discord’s rules. Here are the most common reasons for reporting a user on this platform:
• Sending spam messages
• Harassing or threatening other users
• Sharing photos of animal cruelty
• Sharing child pornography
• Violating IP rights
• Promoting self-harm or suicide
• Distributing viruses
You can also report someone if they’re picking on you specifically. Discord isn’t a platform where you should feel threatened in any way—it’s a place to enjoy chatting with people who like the same things as you. But before you report a user, you can try talking to them or asking a server moderator for help. If that doesn’t work, reporting someone may be the only option.
How do I take back a report I filed on Discord?
Perhaps you accidentally reported the wrong person or felt like the report was unnecessary after further review. It is possible to retract your complaint, but you’ll need to contact Discord to do it. When you visit the Contact page, choose the option for Appeals in the How can we help dropdown.
How do you report a suspicious user?
According to Discord, you should send them a direct email. You can also use the official report option and report this user like any other report. Add the reason to the Description box and use the Attachments option to add proof if you have it.
It’s always a good idea to take a quick screen capture if you’re going to file a report. But, according to Discord, you only need the Message ID and User ID (shown above).