How to Open the Chat in RuneScape
Runescape has a quite unique chat interface. While many veteran players find it convenient, newcomers may see it as a bit tricky to navigate and operate. Some players have reportedly even deleted the chat window from the game and were unable to find it afterward.
How to Open the Chat Window in Runescape
A chat window – used to communicate with other players in the game – is a part of Runescape’s interface by default. To open it and navigate between different chats, follow these simple instructions:
- While in the game, find a chat heading in the bottom left corner of your display.
- To expand the chatbox, click on the heading.
- Click and hold the edge of the chatbox, then drag it to resize if needed.
- Navigate between chat tabs to access other chats, such as Private Chat or Friends Chat.
- Optionally, you can type in “
/F” to the All Chat to access Friends Chat, “
/C” for Clan Chat, “
/G” for Guest Chat, or “
/P” for Private Chat.
If you’ve deleted the chat window from the game’s interface or wish to open it more conveniently way, you can program preferred keys to perform this action. Here’s how to do that:
- From the main menu, open game Settings.
- Navigate to the “Controls” tab.
- Scroll down until you reach “All Chat,” “Private Chat,” “Clan Chat,” “Group Chat,” and “Friends Chat” sections.
- Assign preferred unused keys to every chat type.
- Go back to the game and hit the dedicated key each time you need to open a certain chat.
How to Adjust Chat Settings in Runescape
You can customize the chat interface in the game by following the steps below:
- While in the game, press the “Esc” key or click the gear icon to open Settings.
- Navigate to the “Gameplay” tab and select “Social,” then “Chat Customization.”
- Enable the desired settings. You can:
- Use the “Enter” key as a shortcut to access the Quick Chat.
- Display your local time next to your messages.
- Select the way prefixes are displayed in Clan and Friends Chats.
- Prevent players who have you in their Friends list from plotting a trail to your location.
- Change message colors for every chat individually.
How do chats in the game differ?
In Runescape, you can connect with other players via several chats – Friends, Private, Clan, Group, Guest, and All. The All Chat is used to send messages to other chats by entering special characters at the front. To send a message to the Friends Chat, you should type in “
/”, Clan – “
//”, Guest – “
///”, and Group – “
////”. Via the All Chat, you can also respond to private messages by hitting the tab key.
Private Chat contains messages from private discussions with your peers. Additionally, this chat displays unfiltered messages and server announcements. The Friends Chat is a custom chat from people from any team. The Clan Chat is used to talk with players within your clan, even if they aren’t on your Friend list. If you’ve joined someone’s Clan Chat as a guest, messages will be shown in the Guest Chat. Finally, the Group Chat is created automatically in relation to the game’s grouping system. Players within one group must be within the same clan and can teleport, fight bosses, and engage in other activities together.
How Do I Create a Group Chat in Runescape?
A Group Chat is automatically added to your Runescape interface when you create a group. Here’s how to do that:
• From the Interface Ribbon at the bottom part of your screen, select the “Community” icon – two men in hoods.
• Navigate to the “Grouping System” tab.
• Select the “Create a new group” icon located at the bottom right corner of your screen. It looks like four human silhouettes with a yellow plus sign.
• Select the players within your clan you wish to add to your group and confirm.
How Do I Create a Friends Chat in Runescape?
To create a Friends Chat in the game, follow the steps below:
1. In the game, expand the chat menu, then navigate to the “Friends” chat tab.
2. Click the gear icon to enter Friends Chat settings.
3. Select players from your Friends list who you wish to add to the chat.
4. Assign ranks to chat members to control who can talk, enter, and kick others from the chat.
5. Name your channel and confirm.
How do I use quick chat?
A Quick Chat in Runescape enables you to communicate with other players quickly using pre-set responses. It’s perfect during intense game moments when typing a whole message may not be possible. To use the feature, you need to first enable it. Follow the steps below:
1. Hit the “Esc” key or click the gear icon located in Interface Ribbon to open Settings.
2. Navigate to the “Gameplay” tab, then select “Social.”
3. Select “Customization.”
4. Tick the box next to “Enter Quick Chat.”
5. Exit Settings and use the “Enter” key as a shortcut to access Quick Chat while in the game.
Once you’ve set up the Quick Chat, it’s time to customize your messages to use the feature with maximum efficiency. Follow the instructions below:
1. Hit “Enter” to open Quick Chat.
2. From the menu, select “General,” then “Responses” to see the whole list of messages with keys bound to them.
3. Optionally, click the “Search” tab at the top of the window.
4. Start typing a message. You will be presented with a phrase that most closely matches your request with the key bind to it. Edit the message to fit your needs.
Hopefully, our guide has helped you understand how chats in Runescape work. The multiple chat type system takes a bit of time to get used to. However, once you learn the difference between each one in practice, chats turn out convenient and helpful. We highly recommend memorizing Quick Chat key binds to connect with your peers in the most efficient manner.
Do you use Runescape multiple chat functionality to its fullest or prefer to only talk to players within a single group? Share your experiences in the comments section below.