How to Scan a QR Code From an iPhone or Android
QR codes help users access instant information via mobile devices. They are used everywhere to deliver that information in a time-efficient way. You can scan them in the blink of an eye with your smartphone camera. Here’s a quick guide if you don’t know how to scan a QR code on your iPhone or Android Device.
How to Scan a QR Code With the Built-in Camera App
As QR codes have become standard, many mobile phones are designed to scan them. In most cases, you can scan QR codes with an Android or iPhone automatically when you open your camera app.
Scan a QR Code From Android
Android is one of the most common operating systems for mobile phones. Many smartphone models that use Android have a built-in QR code scanner, which you can easily access via the camera app. Ideally, the scanner should do its work automatically and recognize the code as soon as you point your camera at it. It should then turn on the scanner and let you access the data contained in the code.
Here’s how to scan a QR code using the camera app on your Android phone:
- Open the standard camera app on your iPhone or Android phone.
- Point your camera to the QR code and frame it to fit perfectly.
- If the code is easily scannable, an URL will pop up at the bottom of the window.
- Tap the link to access the code’s data or trigger the code’s action.
With some models, the dialogue box with the link will pop up at the top of the screen.
If Your Android Phone Doesn’t Scan QR Codes Automatically
The previously mentioned steps will be successful if the code works well and your camera has a native QR code scanner. If your camera doesn’t recognize the code immediately, try the following:
- Close the camera app and open it again
- Ensure the code fits into the frame and is not too far from the edges of the frame
- Ensure that your camera lens is not too close to the code
- Move your camera lens until the scanner captures the code correctly
Alternatively, you should check if the model of your Android phone is equipped for QR scanning if it doesn’t recognize the code automatically. There is a quick way to test this, and we will outline the steps below.
The first thing you should do is try scanning the QR code by holding your phone as steadily as possible for three to four seconds. If the scanning option is enabled, the pop-up window with the code data will appear.
If nothing happens, QR scanning is disabled on your phone. To turn it on, do the following:
- Go to “Settings.”
- Select “System Apps.”
- Select “Camera.”
- Toggle to enable “Scan QR codes.”
If your camera doesn’t have these settings, your phone is unfortunately not natively QR-scanner friendly. There’s still a fix to this issue, however – downloading third-party apps.
Scan QR Codes From an iPhone
iOS devices such as iPhones or iPads have a built-in QR code reader in their camera app and don’t require the use of third-party apps to scan codes. Apple introduced QR support in 2017, and today every Apple device running iOS 11 or later can scan any QR code without encountering any issues.
Here’s how to scan QR codes using an iPhone:
- Open the basic camera app.
- Go to the “Photo” mode and ensure you have set it to a rear-facing lens.
- Frame the QR code. Hold your phone steady for a few moments until it’s focused.
- Tap the notification that pops up and access the data the code contains.
Google Lens is an app that allows you to access information about anything in your surroundings using your camera lens. It’s a machine-learning-based technology that enables you to detect certain objects. Google Lens then connects the data with Google Assistant.
You can use Google Lens if you can’t scan the QR code with your Android or iPhone for whatever reason. Google has solid image-recognition technology that allows you to scan QR codes more precisely than the primary camera. Scanning the QR code with Google Lens also gives you more options regarding accessing the code’s data. You can download the Google Lens app for free from the Play Store.
Here is how to scan a QR code using Google Lens:
- Open the Google Lens app.
- Go to the “Search” mode.
- Frame the QR code you want to scan and hold the phone for a few seconds. Ensure that the code is centered in the frame and focused.
- A notification will pop up. Tap the dialogue window to access the data or open the link.
Scan for More
QR codes are one of the big digital communications trend right now. They are also practical. All you need to do to access information is point your phone at the relevant code.
A QR code scanner on your mobile device can facilitate speedy information retrieval. Many third-party apps on the app market offer similar or more extensive features. Choose the one that works best for you and enjoy the information that otherwise wouldn’t be immediately accessible.
Do you use a classic camera or similar app when scanning QR codes? Let us know in the comments section below.