How to Find Your Workspace URL on Slack
Regardless of which Slack plan your company is using, you’ll need an URL to sign in to your Workspace. When you first join a Slack workspace via email invitation or a work email address, you should know how to find your workspace URL.
You will need it the next time you’re signing into the Workspace. But where is the URL exactly? Slack is very user-friendly, but it can be a bit overwhelming for first-timers. That’s why in this article, we’re going to show you where you can locate the Slack URL in your Workspace.
Where Is Your Slack URL?
The formula for creating a Slack URL is relatively straightforward. It starts with the Workspace or your company’s name and ends with slack.com. In case you have the Enterprise Grid subscription plan, you can even add your organization’s name in the URL.
You can locate your Slack URL on your desktop version as well as mobile iOS and Android apps. First, let’s see how you find the URL on your desktop:
- If you’re on a Free, Standard, or Plus Slack plan, select the workspace name (top left corner.)
- You will immediately see the name of your Workspace, and underneath there is the workspace URL.
- You can copy the URL if you need to share it or save it for yourself.
In case you’re signed out of Slack, and you don’t have the URL, and you’re not familiar with the Slack URL formula, there’s still something you can do. Go to Slack home page and then click on “My team is on Slack” and then follow the instructions on the screen.
If you’re the Enterprise Grid subscription user, you can also check your workspace URL by following the above steps. But if you’re signed out, this is how you can find it:
- Go to the Slack Home Page and then select the “My team is on Slack” option.
- Then type in your email address and select “Confirm.”
- Go to your email inbox and find the email from Slack.
- Select “Confirm Email Address.”
- Select the “Sign In” option next to your organization’s name.
- Go to your Workspace Directory and find the workspace name and URL.
If you’re using the Slack mobile app, you can locate your workspace URL following these steps:
- Open the Slack app on your Android or iOS.
- In the top left corner, select the workspace icon.
- If you’re using an Android device, select “Workspace Menu.” If not, skip this step.
- Find your Workspace URL underneath the name of your Workspace.
Changing Your Workspace URL
Most of the time, the workspace URL is the name of your company. But that’s not always the case, so you might want to change it for more convenience. Similarly, if your company is going through changes or restructuring, you might want to change the URL.
Admins and Workspace Owners can do this any time they want. However, it’s probably best to let all the members know about the change that’s coming, to avoid any confusion.
Also, once you change the workspace URL, you’ll need to update it on every other service where you used it. Here is how to change the Workspace URL if you’re a Slack Admin:
- Open the Slack desktop app and select your workspace name.
- Click on “Settings & Administration” and then select “Workspace settings.”
- Type the new name for your Workspace and URL.
- Select “Save Changes.”
That’s all there is to it. These steps apply for the Free, Standard, and Plus Slack subscription plans. If you’re on the Enterprise Grid plan, the process is a little different.
Large organizations often use many interconnected workspaces. So, Enterprise Admins can create an organization name and URL that will overreach the workspaces. Here is how you can do that:
- Open Slack on your desktop and select the workspace name.
- Click on “Settings & administration” from the drop-down menu.
- Select “Organization Settings.”
- Click on “Settings” (gear icon) on the left.
- Select “Organization Info.”
- Type in the new “Organization Name” and the “Organization Domain.”
- Select “Save Changes.”
Once you change the workspace URL, your old one becomes available to other companies and organizations. So, keep in mind that once you go through this process, you might not be able to return to the old workspace URL anymore.
Always Know Your Work(space) Address
Once you join a Slack workspace, remember that the URL is on the left, just under the company’s name. You can check the URL on the desktop version of Slack and from your mobile device.
And once you find it, you can always change it. Slack gives admins and owners plenty of customization options, and that includes renaming Workspaces and URLs. And you can repeat that process as many times as you want.
Do you still have problems finding your Slack workspace URL? Do you know how to change it? Let us know in the comments section below.