How to Connect a Sony TV to a Laptop
Connecting your Sony TV and a laptop gives you a large screen and a better picture. This is done through mirroring or casting. With the right tools, you can watch movies, videos, and other files on your laptop directly through your Sony TV. Mirroring and casting also make presentations in meetings and conferences easier.
If you’re interested in how it’s all done, you’ve come to the right place. This article will explain how to connect a laptop to a Sony TV.
Connecting Sony TV to Laptop
There are various methods you can use to connect your Sony TV to a laptop.
The High Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI) Cable Option
This is probably one of the easiest methods. HDMI transmits audio and video files from one source to another and doesn’t rely on the internet. You don’t have to compress data before it’s sent to the receiver. This means using an HDMI rarely causes lags or poor quality output. Note that several brands of HDMI cable can be bought at local stores or from online platforms.
To use an HDMI, do the following:
- Turn on your laptop and your Sony TV.
- Plug one end of the HDMI cable into your laptop’s port and the other into the TV’s port.
- On your TV remote control, select the “Input” option and press it.
- From the screen, choose the HDMI port used to connect your laptop. This should make the TV display the laptop screen automatically.
- Go to the laptop’s control panel if the step doesn’t work and choose “Display.”
- Select “Adjust resolution.”
- From the drop-down menu, choose any of the following. This should work, allowing you to view the laptop screen on the TV.
The main issue you may experience using the HDMI option is the supported format. If the format isn’t supported by HDMI, you may have a problem.
The Screen Mirroring Option
This screen mirroring function is another option for Sony users. It’s built-in feature available in Sony Bravia TVs released between 2013-2020. However, Google and Android TVs released after 2020 no longer support the function.
Designed mainly to allow the projection of different devices screens, including mobile devices and laptops, this option allows you to watch movies and videos saved on your laptop. Streaming from Netflix, YouTube, and other community sites is also possible. The thing that makes this a good option is that it’s free and can be used with a stable internet connection.
Since an internet connection is required, the output stability may vary per the network speed. For this to work, you must be running Windows 10 and above on your laptop, which should have a Miracast feature.
This is how to start casting a laptop to your Sony TV:
- Turn on your laptop and TV and connect them to the same Wi-Fi network.
- Start by setting up your Sony TV by hitting the “Input” button on the remote.
- On the resulting screen, select “Screen Mirroring.”
- Press “Enter” to send the TV to standby mode.
- On the laptop, navigate to the “Start Menu” and choose “Settings.”
- In the Settings menu, choose “Devices.”
- Go to the “Add devices” tab and select “Add a device.”
- Choose the TV model number from the available choices.
This should allow you to conveniently access and display everything on the laptop or watch it on your Sony TV.
Casting Through a Browser
Chrome is a hugely popular browser and can be used for this purpose. Regardless of the operating system, Chrome can be installed on any laptop to allow screen mirroring to a Sony TV.
Setting things up is relatively straightforward:
- Ensure both devices are switched on. Press the “Input” button on your remote.
- Choose the “Screen Mirroring” option on your Sony TV. This sets the TV on standby mode giving you time to register your laptop.
- Open the Chrome browser on the laptop.
- Choose the “More” option at the top right of the browser.
- Navigate to the “Cast” option on the screen.
- From the “Compatible device list,” choose your TV. This should connect the Sony TV and the browser.
Note that this method only works if your Sony TV has Chromecast.
If you want to connect your Sony TV to an incompatible laptop, find another screen-casting method. One of the options to consider is AirDroid Cast. This mirroring service allows you to cast different devices onto a Sony TV, including laptops. The service is web-based and connects to devices quickly and seamlessly. This means you can screencast to older models as well.
AirDroid has a friendly interface with multiple features and High-Definition quality. To use AirDroid cast, follow these steps:
- Download the AirDroid app on your laptop from the official website. It’s available in web/windows stores as well.
- Go to the “AirDroid Cast” webpage using your TV browser.
- On your laptop, launch AirDroid cast app and select the “Cast to” tab. Enter the QR code manually. This is a nine-digit code displayed on the Sony TV.
- Once the code is accepted, your laptop screen will be displayed on the Sony TV regardless of the model.
You can access more premium features on the AirDroid Cast app. However, you need to upgrade the app and sign in.
Common Issues When Screen Mirroring on Different Sony TVs
There are cases where your laptop and Sony TV may fail to connect. One of the main reasons is if the device doesn’t have the necessary features. Pressing the remote input button lets you know if a screen mirroring option is available. If there’s no standard capability on the Sony TV, you can use other options like AirDroid to cast the device that lacks the screen-mirroring feature.
Screen Mirroring Lag on Sony TV
Lagging can occur when your devices need restarting. Restart your Sony TV and laptop to handle the issue. Don’t restart just one device, since you can’t be sure which one has a problem. Restarting lets you establish a clean connection. Lagging while using HDMI may be caused by poor connection at the ports. Check either side of the cord and ensure it’s connected properly.
No Sound During Screen Mirroring
This is another issue you may experience when connecting your Sony TV to a laptop. If there’s no sound, you need to do one of the following:
- Restart your devices.
- If you’re using an app to cast, uninstall and reinstall it.
- Update your devices if there’s one available.
Sound Without Picture
When sound is cast without picture, it indicates a connection issue. To solve this, do one of the following:
- Disconnect the casting devices completely.
- Restart the devices, then reconnect.
- Unplug the HDMI cord, if that’s what you’re using, and reconnect. If things don’t work, try using a different cord.
Elevate Viewership by Connecting Your Sony TV and Laptop
You may want to mirror a laptop to your Sony Television for different reasons. It could be a movie you want to see on a bigger screen. Alternatively, you may wish to access an app not available in the Sony app store, or want to display photos or presentations on a larger screen for an audience. Regardless of your reason, mirroring offers a better viewing experience and allows you to share the screen with others.
Have you ever connected a laptop to a Sony TV? If so, did you face any challenges along the way? Let us know in the comments section below.