How to Sell a Ship in Starfield
Players can own multiple ships in Starfield. They’re an excellent transport medium for traversing the vast galaxy. But, you can only keep 10 vessels in this RPG game. As a result, you may need to sell old ones to obtain space for better and bigger vehicles. If you’re dealing in piracy, you may also need to quickly dispose of a stolen ship. This is a great way to make more buck. However, selling a hijacked vessel can be complex and costly.
Keep reading to learn how to sell ships on Starfield.
Selling a Ship
Ship Service technicians are the only characters who can buy a ship off you in Starfield. One of the most accessible vendors can be found in the Alpha Centauri system on Jemison. The steps below will guide you on how to sell it:
- Locate a “Ship Services Vendor.”
- Hit the “A” hotkey on the console or “E” on the PC to speak to the technician.
- Select the dialog option for buying a ship.
- Navigate to the “Ship Selling Menu.” You can do this by pressing the “Y” key on the controller or “R” on the PC.
- Choose the vessel you want to sell by hitting the “R” hotkey again.
- The number of credits you’ll receive after the sale will be displayed. Confirm the selection to complete the process.
While a ship’s value is noted in your inventory, actual ship prices will be lower during the sale.
Before deciding to sell your ship, ensure that you’ve got more than one vessel in your possession. The reason is that you can’t trade your home ship.
Selling Stolen Ships
Given Starfield’s extensive size, it’s easy to hit the 10-ship limit when exploring the cosmos. One of the ways players can obtain these vessels is through piracy. But you can’t sell stolen ships without registering them. This can be done at the Ship Services. Because of the strict authorities that patrol the planets, you may need to dispose of stolen ships faster. Here’s how you can do it:
- Visit the “Ship Services Technician” in your nearest spaceport.
- Select the “I’d like to view and modify my ships” option to view all ships in your possession. You can also select the “Let me see what ships you have for sale” in case the alternative doesn’t pop up.
- Select the “Sell” option on the bottom right.
- Choose the vessel you want to register.
- The “Register” option will be displayed. Select it to complete the process. Be aware that it costs a significant amount of credit to do so.
- You can now sell your ship.
Be aware that if you choose to sell a vessel to a vendor who doesn’t have sufficient credit to match its original cost, you’ll suffer a loss. You should also save the game before trading any vessel. This ensures that in case of a mistake, such as selling the wrong ship, players can return to an earlier stage of the game and still possess it.
How to Sell Ships Fast
Once you’ve understood the basics of trading ships, you can use piracy mechanics to earn significant credit regularly. Starting this business is relatively straightforward. The steps below will guide you in fast selling ships:
- Unlock the Targeting Control Skills. This can be accessed through the Tech Skill branch. Targeting Control skills are necessary for gaining control of a ship.
- Activate the “Ship Builder.” This enables players to upgrade essential vessel components like weapons and shields.
Players may later want to transform their ship into a killer machine. But initially, the primary goal for every Starfield enthusiast is keeping their vessel safe. You may need to battle bandits when exploring the universe’s settled systems. Your ship should help you to wipe them out.
You can’t board or dock a vessel during combat. For this reason, it may be wise to wait and target the last ship standing for hijacking. Remember that you’ll need to eliminate everyone aboard the vessel before gaining control. While companions aren’t comfortable with the assassination of innocent people, pirates don’t mind it.
Ship Services technicians have approximately 72,000 credits in their reserve daily. Players can quickly sell their vessels by moving from one to another whenever a vendor exhausts their resources. Remember, only the Ship Services technicians can buy the ship from you. The other option is exchanging it for another through negotiations with specified space stations.
Best Starfield Ships to Sell
The choice of which ship to sell or whether to trade at all is up to you. However, you should keep a decent number of vessels at hand to make sure you can complete missions. Ships with large carrying capacity and plenty of weapons are some of the best options to keep.
Vessels with large Grave Drives are also necessary for long travels. This is an essential buff when nearing game completion. At the beginning of the game, you might get lucky and successfully hijack a ship. Selling vessels obtained this way is an excellent method for earning credits.
Changing Starfield Home Ships
The ship you commandeer at any given time is referred to as the home ship. It carries all the cargo that you possess. Another elaborate way of switching your home ship is detailed below:
- Locate a “Ship Services Technician.”
- Interact with them through a “Dialog” option.
- Select the “I’d like to view and modify my ships” alternative.
- Hit “C” on the PC or “Menu” on the controller and choose “Make Home Ship.”
Be aware that you can’t sell a home ship. The vast nature of the Starfield cosmos means that players need at least one vessel for easy movement. The developers were kind enough to ensure that you hardly ever get stranded during your explorations.
Is it possible to own multiple ships in Starfield?
Yes. However, you can only commandeer one at a specific time. The maximum number of ships in the inventory per is 10.
How can you activate a Starfield ship?
Players must interact with a Ship Service technician to activate a ship, hover over the desired ship, and click the start button. Be aware that you can’t sell active vessels, and activating one ship will render the old one ready for sale.
Earn Credits Through Selling Starfield Ships
As you advance through the game, you may need to upgrade your ship. Larger, advanced vessels offer higher carrying capacity, speed, and weapons. This becomes necessary as you continue to traverse the Starfield universum. But amassing better ships means that players may need to get rid of old ones they no longer use. Selling them is an excellent means of earning credit and offloading your inventory.
What is the highest credit amount you’ve earned from a ship sale? Which type of ship was it, and would you recommend it to other players? Let us know in the comment section below.