How To Summon Spirits in Elden Ring
Elden Ring puts you up against mighty foes that are hard to defeat if you’re not a veteran warrior. Fortunately, you don’t have to fight some of them alone. Besides recruiting friendly players, you can also summon Spirits. These units come in various forms and provide many benefits, but how exactly do you call them to aid you?
This article will provide the answer. We’ll show you how to summon Spirits in Elden Rings to help you conquer your enemies more easily.
How to Summon Spirits in Elden Ring
Summoning Spirits in Elden requires you to obtain the Calling Bell. Here’s what you need to do:
- Find Melina. She’s a mysterious maiden who can help the Tarnished on their journey. You can find her by progressing through the first few Sites of Grace. The woman should be around your third Site.
- Talk to Melina and form an alliance. This will help you complete your journey and traverse the map faster. More importantly, you’ll now be able to call your Spirit Steed – Torrent.
- Return to the Elleh Church, which is most commonly the second Site touched after leaving the tutorial zone. Do this at night.
- Walk to the broken wall near the church, and you should notice an NPC named Renna.
- Talk to the witch and tell her you’re the owner of Torrent.
- Renna should now give you your Calling Bell for free.
You can now summon Spirits. They’re similar to spells, but unlike Glintstone Magic or Incantations, you don’t need to place them inside your memory. Instead, you can assign them to toolbelt items or the quick menu.
Furthermore, you won’t be able to equip the Calling Ball itself but various Ashes you’ll come across throughout the world.
Here’s what you need to do to call your Spirits:
- Open your in-game menu and head to your “Equipment” Tab.
- Scroll to “Quick Items” and press an available slot. Place the Spirit you wish to call.
- Press the corresponding button (usually X on PCs and square on PS), and wait for your character to ring the Calling Bell. The Spirit should now appear.
Alternatively, you can use your Pouch to activate the Calling Bell:
- Open the menu and go to the right section of the screen.
- Find Pouch slots.
- Click an available slot and press the Ashes of the Spirit you want to summon.
- Hit the appropriate button, and the Spirit should come forth.
There are a few caveats regarding Spirits in Elden Ring.
First, you’ll need a specific amount of Focus Points (FP) to summon them. The more powerful they are, the more FP they’ll consume. Some units even require Health Points (HP) and not FP.
Second, you can’t summon Spirits anywhere. Like bosses, they only appear in certain open areas, such as enemy encampments and legacy dungeons. When you reach a place that lets you call Spirits, you should see a shiny icon in the left section of the screen. It contains an inscription and an arch.
Third, enemies can kill your Spirits in combat. Despite being basically shadows, they’re just as mortal as you. The only exception is Skeletal units, which can be resurrected if enemies don’t damage them while the Skeletal unit is downed.
Finally, you can only summon one Ash Spirit at a time. For example, if you’ve brought out a Wolf, the game won’t allow you to call an Ash Sorcerer until the animal is recalled or dead.
Can You Summon Multiple Spirits?
You can’t summon multiple Spirits in Elden Ring. As previously discussed, the game lets you call just one Ash Spirit at a time. Therefore, choose the unit you want to fight alongside with carefully.
How to Summon Spirit Ashes in Elden Ring
Summoning Spirit Ashes is relatively straightforward.
- Head to the menu and go to your “Equipment” tab.
- Find “Quick Items” and add the Spirit you want to summon to an available tab.
- Press the Summoning button.
But before you can summon Spirit Ashes, you’ll first need to collect them. The following three Ashes let you call the most powerful allies.
Banished Knight Oleg
Banished Knight Oleg is a Spirit that wields two swords. He’s incredibly durable and only requires 100 FP. The weapons enable Oleg to maintain constant pressure on his opponents with powerful, swift attacks. Plus, he has heavy armor to keep him safe from heavy blows.
Although Oleg is less tanky than some other allies, he effectively diverts foes away from your character and toward him. This perfectly complements one of the smartest battle tactics – the more you attack your enemies and dodge, the more likely you’re to defeat them.
You can get Oleg’s Ashes early in the game, but this will be challenging:
- Obtain two Stonesword Keys. You can find one on the dead body by the Storm Hill shed by following the path that leads from the Gatefront. Another one can be found in East Limgrave, lying on the body behind a ballista on the bridge. Alternatively, buy them from Finger Reader Enia for 8,000 Runes.
- Go to Stranded Graveyard – a Site of Grace in Limgrave.
- Use the Keys to unlock the Fringefolk Hero Dungeon.
- Defeat the enemies inside the Dungeon, paying attention to traps along the way.
- Conquer the final boss – the Ulcerated Tree Spirit. You’ll be fighting in a confined environment, so prepare adequately.
- Collect Oleg’s Ashes from the Tree Spirit.
Lhutel the Headless
If you need another tenacious Spirit Ash ally, Lhutel the Headless might be your best option. She negates tons of damage using her shield, which can be a huge boon on the battlefield. She turtles behind the shield while poking opponents with a spear and hurls the weapon toward them.
If that doesn’t do the trick, Lhutel twists the reality, transporting back and forth to another dimension to catch her enemies off-guard or retreat. On top of that, she’s unforgettable while teleporting. This makes the 104 FP cost of summoning her an absolute bargain, considering her ability to move around the battlefield.
Her Spirit Ashes can be found early in the game.
- Go to the Weeping Peninsula. It’s located near the Church of Pilgrimage.
- Enter the Dungeon.
- Find the boss at the end of the Dungeon – Cemetery Shade.
- Defeat the enemy and collect the Ashes.
Mimic Tear Spirit
You can make your Spirit Ashes more powerful, but using them can become repetitive. Most have similar actions, use the same swords, and apply the same skills. This limitation prevents them from elevating their abilities, but this doesn’t apply to the Mimic Tear Spirit.
This unit is unique since it can transform into the summoner’s doppelganger. In other words, it can copy your stats, spells, equipment, and skills. The duplicate also has consumables. As a result, your enemies have to face another you whenever you summon the Mimic Tear Spirit.
Fighting alongside this Spirit is like teaming up with other players, but it has a few drawbacks. Primarily, you’ll need a whopping 660 HP to summon this unit. This is terrible news if you prefer magic builds, but it’s also good news if you’ve amassed a ton of HP.
As the Mimic Tear Spirit is so overpowered, you’ll need to move past several progression gates to acquire its Ashes:
- Access Nokron. This Eternal City can be accessed in the mid-to-late game.
- Go to the Site of Grace in Nokron, which can be found in Ancestral Woods.
- Jump across the rooftops to unlock Night’s Sacred Path.
- Unlock the fog wall with your Stonesword Key.
- Pick up the Mimic Tear Spirit Ashes.
How to Summon Spirit Wolves in Elden Ring
Spirit Wolves have high mobility and damage, making them a powerful ally. Summoning them works pretty much the same as calling other Spirits.
- Go to Melina and get Torrent.
- Return to the Ellah Church in Limgrave and speak with Renna.
- Accept the Calling Bell and Spirit Wolf Ashes from the witch.
- Travel to a place that permits Spirit summoning. Rebirth Monuments are the most common sites.
- Equip the Spirit Ashes into an available slot.
- Press your summoning button, and Wolves should arrive and help you fight your nearest enemy.
Don’t Commence Your Battles Unprepared
Many items can help you best your Elden Ring foes more easily, from potions to upgraded equipment. Spirits might be even more helpful depending on the unit you choose to summon. They have unique abilities to overwhelm your enemies and leave them helpless. Just find the appropriate Ashes before the skirmish, and start the clash fully prepared.
What’s your favorite Elden Ring Spirit? How long did it take you to find it? How do you use their abilities? Let us know in the comments section below.