Uber – How to Change the Destination as a Rider or Driver
You’re in an Uber riding to a restaurant to meet friends. Suddenly, they text you about a change of plans: the original place is overbooked so they’ve found a new one. But it’s four miles away.
Don’t worry, there’s still a way for you to make it on time. You can change your final destination in the Uber app at any point before the driver swipes End Trip. And this article will show you just how easy it is to do that.
Also, if you’re a driver, we’ve got good news for you as well. You can change the trip destination as a driver, so you can save the day should unexpected situations arrive and keep your ratings high.
How to Change the Destination as a Rider in the Uber iPhone App
It’s relatively straightforward for riders to change the trip destination with the iPhone App, whether it’s before or during the ride. The only exception is the multi-destination shared pool rides (UberPOOL trips.) In those cases, you’ll just have leave the ride early or not join at all.
If you’re already in the car and suddenly realized you need to be in a different location, it’s best to let the driver know directly. Sometimes, if the new destination increases the ride time and distance by a lot, they may not be able to accommodate the change.
But if the driver agrees with your request, you can safely tweak the final destination inside the Uber app.
Here’s how to do so:
- Launch the Uber app on your iPhone.
- Open the trip in progress by tapping on the black icon that says “Uber.”
- Tap on the bar in the bottom to pull it open.
- There will be a box containing driver details. Under it, you’ll see an additional box with different options, such as the end destination, current trip price, share trip status, and more.
- Tap the “Add or Change” button next to your current final destination info.
- Search for the new destination in the search box.
- Tap on the desired destination and confirm the choice.
Your final destination will now be changed. To change your pickup location, follow the same steps to update your new position on the map.
Maybe you need to add a stop between your pickup point the final destination. Fortunately, Uber lets you make short stops (up to three minutes) during your ride. This is how it’s done:
- Launch the trip in progress in the Uber app and hit the black icon saying “Uber.”
- Pull open the bar at the bottom of the screen.
- Tap the “Add or Change” button next to the final destination address.
- Press “+” next to the initial destination.
- Confirm that your stop will be shorter than three minutes.
- Tap “Add a stop” and type in a new address.
- Hit “Update” to confirm. Note that this will increase the price of your trip.
How to Change the Destination as a Rider in the Uber Android App
Uber has made arranging trips flexible enough for passengers that they can change their initial or final destination, with the latter being possible even during the journey. However, before tweaking the ride in the app, it’s best to talk to the driver directly. You can let them know about your trip change and see whether they’ll be able to accommodate.
Once the driver agrees to make the adjustment, you can tweak the info in the app. Here’s how to do so:
- Start the Uber app on your Android phone.
- Tap on the black icon saying “Uber” to open the trip in progress.
- Tap at the bottom of the screen bar to pull it open. There will be a box with driver details. Under it, you’ll see an additional box with many options, one of which is the current destination.
- Tap on the “Add or Change” button next to your current final destination.
- Search for the new destination in the search box but try to avoid accidentally dropping a pin in the map.
- Tap on the new destination address from the list and confirm your action.
You’ll see that the final destination of the trip has changed. You can also change the pickup destination by following the same steps.
If you still need to go to your original destination but suddenly need to make a short stop along the way, it’s possible to add an extra stop between the pickup and endpoint. Just make sure the stop takes less than three minutes since this is the longest time an Uber driver can spend at an additional location.
Follow the steps below to add an extra stop to your ride:
- Open the trip in progress in your Uber app and tap on the black icon saying “Uber.”
- Tap at the bar at the bottom of the screen to pull it open.
- Hit the “Add or Change” button next to the current destination address.
- Press the “+” button next to the initial destination. The app will ask you to agree to keep the stop shorter than three minutes.
- Tap on the “Add a stop” line and enter a new address.
- Confirm by tapping the “Update” button. Note that this change will increase the price of your trip.
How to Change the Destination as a Driver in the Uber iPhone App
It may so happen your rider suddenly decides to change the final destination of their trip, but they don’t know how to tweak the settings on their app. To keep your ratings high and handle the situation professionally, you can always change the destination yourself inside the Driver app.
Just follow the steps below:
- Launch the Uber Driver app on your iPhone.
- Make sure your screen is set on the current trip map.
- Pull the turn-by-turn direction list and scroll to the bottom.
- There will be a little pencil next to the final destination. Tap on it.
- Enter the information regarding the new destination.
It could happen that the rider wants to go to a restaurant, but they don’t know the address. You can simply type the restaurant name, find it on the map, and tap the location. If they know the address, simply type that in the box, and you’ll be good to go.
You can deal with this situation in a few more ways. If the rider doesn’t know, you can tell them that they can tweak the settings on their end. You can also drop the rider at their initial destination and have them start a new Uber ride. Since you’re the closest driver around, they’ll probably book you again.
However, it’s best not to use these methods unless there’s a glitch in the app that doesn’t let you change the destination on your side. It’s in your best interest to keep the rider satisfaction high since it can directly affect your ratings.
How to Change the Destination as a Driver in the Uber Android App
Say your passenger suddenly decides they need to be at a different location and asks you to change their end destination. Maybe they don’t know how to do so on their phone or simply feel more confident if you do it. Either way, it helps keep your ratings high if you know how to tweak the settings in the app and keep the passenger happy. Fortunately, the process is relatively straightforward.
Just follow the steps below:
- Start the Uber Driver app on your iPhone.
- Make sure the screen shows the current trip map.
- Pull the detailed driving directions list, then scroll to the bottom.
- You’ll see a little pencil next to the final destination. Tap on that.
- Type in the new destination information. If the rider only knows the name of the place, you can enter that, find it on the map, and tap on its location. If they have the exact address, type it in and tap on the result.
There are other ways to deal with the situation where a rider wants to change their final destination. You can always mention that they can change the destination on their end, but you’ll be glad to do it for them as well.
Another method is to drop the passenger at their initial destination and have them book a new ride. Since you’re the closest Uber around, there’s a chance they’ll book you again. However, these alternative solutions can often have a negative impact on your rating, so it’s best to stick with changing the trip destination in the app if asked for it. Only proceed to other solutions if a glitch in the app doesn’t let you get the job done.
Change Your Uber Destination Hassle-Free
Thanks to its flexible settings, Uber lets both drivers and riders change trip destinations. Whether you make the adjustment before or during the trip, it’s safe to know the driver can deal with your sudden plan changes. As a passenger, it’s always best to consult your driver about the change first and then make the change in the app. As a driver, it’s in your best interest to fulfill your client’s request smoothly, and changing the settings on your side can certainly help.
Hopefully, the tips in this article will help your ride and destination changes in Uber go hassle-free. Should you have any other questions, feel free to drop us a comment in the section below.