How To Uninstall YouTube on an Android Device
Most Android phones come with different built-in apps. While some can be very useful, others just take up unnecessary space. For many people, one such app is YouTube. The app takes around 175 MB, which can double or triple as you use it, so it’s no surprise many users are looking for a way to remove it from their devices.
If you’re interested in learning how to uninstall YouTube on Android phones, you’ve come to the right place. This article will discuss whether that’s possible and show you the steps.
Uninstall YouTube Android
If you don’t want YouTube on your phone anymore, there are several actions you can take, depending on your phone’s make and model. Let’s check them out.
Here’s how to uninstall YouTube on your Android phone:
- Open Settings.
- Go to “Apps.”
- Find and select “YouTube.”
- Tap “Uninstall” and confirm it.
You can also use this alternative method:
- Find the YouTube icon in the menu.
- Tap and hold it and select “uninstall.”
- Confirm that you want to disable the app.
In some cases, deleting YouTube from your Android phone is like deleting any other app. However, this method will not work for most phones. Why is that? Because YouTube is considered a system-level app, it can’t be removed entirely. This is because Android phones are powered by Google, and YouTube is Google’s subsidiary. The YouTube app comes bundled with Google’s search engine, Gmail, calendar, drive, etc.
If your phone came with the YouTube app, you can’t uninstall it. But, just because you can’t uninstall it doesn’t mean you have to use it. Those that aren’t using YouTube can always disable it. When you disable an app, you remove it from the app screen and prevent it from running in the background. Although disabling an app doesn’t delete it from your phone, it’s still a good option if you want to save space and prevent unnecessary updates.
Here’s how to disable YouTube on Android phones:
- Open your menu and go to “Settings.”
- Tap “Apps.”
- Find YouTube and tap “Disable.”
- You’ll see a message explaining the app and all functions related to it will be disabled. Press “Disable.”
You can also do it without accessing settings:
- Find the YouTube icon in your menu and tap and hold it.
- Tap “Disable” and confirm.
If you change your mind after a while, here’s how to enable YouTube again:
- Open Settings.
- Go to “Apps” and find YouTube.
- Choose “Enable.”
Generally, all apps you install yourself can be uninstalled. So, if you downloaded YouTube from the Play Store you can uninstall it. But, if the app came pre-installed, you won’t see the “Uninstall” button.
So, if you don’t see the “Uninstall” button, it means it’s not possible to completely delete the app from your phone. In such cases, the only thing you can do is disable the app.
Rooting Your Phone
You can get privileged control over your Android phone and customize numerous processes, including deleting pre-installed apps by acquiring root access. However, rooting your phone is usually not recommended. Firstly, rooting can make your phone unstable and cause irreparable damage if not done correctly. Secondly, rooting may void your warranty. In case something goes wrong, you’ll be on your own. Finally, gaining root access also circumvents Android’s security restrictions. This means your phone will not be protected from malware.
If you still decide you want to root your device, ensure you research the process thoroughly. Remember that the steps vary depending on the smartphone type and brand. If you’re not tech-savvy, it’s best to ask an expert for help. Moreover, don’t forget to install proper antivirus protection to fend off malware infections. If you go through with rooting and change your mind after a while, you can always un-root your phone.
If your YouTube app is malfunctioning, one of the first solutions that come to mind is reinstalling it. But, since this isn’t always possible, here’s what else you can try to get the app to work:
- Restart your device – Your phone may be experiencing a temporary glitch, causing the YouTube app to malfunction. You may be able to resolve this issue by restarting your phone.
- Check your internet connection – YouTube may not work if your internet connection is weak. Try connecting to a stronger Wi-Fi network or use your data.
- Clear the app’s cache – Cache memory stores data that ensure faster processing. However, storing old forms can slow down the app’s performance. You can clear YouTube’s cache to try and resolve performance issues.
- Update the app – If your app is outdated, it’s bound to slow down at some point. You can easily fix this by updating the app.
- Update the device – You could be experiencing YouTube issues if you’re not running the latest Android version. Update your device and try again.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are the answers to more of your questions about YouTube on Android.
How do I get YouTube back after I disable it?
If you’ve disabled YouTube and you’d like to get it back you can re-enable the app. Here’s what to do:
1. Open the Settings on your Android device and tap Apps.
2. Tap on YouTube at the bottom of the list.
3. Tap Turn on at the bottom of the page (some users may see Enable).
Now, YouTube will appear in your app drawer where you can log in and watch all the videos you like.
What is the difference between disabling and deleting an app?
As mentioned previously disabling an app won’t permanently delete it. But, all cached data, stored memory, and the app icon will all disappear from your phone. When you want to use the app again you have to enable it in the Settings rather than installing it from the Play Store.
When you delete an app all trace of the app disappears. Unlike a disabled app, an app that’s uninstalled doesn’t exist on your phone at all anymore. When you want to use the app again you must reinstall it from the Google Play Store.
No More YouTube
Although YouTube is still one of the most popular video-sharing platforms, many people don’t use it. Since most Android phones come with the app, it’s not possible to uninstall it without rooting your phone. If you don’t want to take any chances, it’s better to disable the app and prevent it from running in the background and wasting space.
We hope this article explains what you could do to get rid of YouTube on your Android phone.
How often do you use YouTube on your phone? What about other pre-installed apps on your Android? Tell us in the comments section below.