How to Upload a Font to Canva
When it comes to designing, fonts can be a real game-changer. Canva is aware of that and offers a variety of default fonts. However, the fonts available on Canva are not extensive. So, what if you want a font that’s not available? Luckily, you’d never have to worry about design again because Canva now allows users to submit their own fonts! This article will walk you through uploading a font to Canva from different devices.
How to Upload Fonts to Canva From a PC
Before you can upload a font, some things are worth mentioning. Canva Pro, Canva Education, Canva Enterprise, and Canva for Non-Profit accounts can upload fonts. Users of the free version of Canva are limited to the available fonts on the app.
Currently, it costs $12.99 a month or $9.99 annually to move from the free version of Canva to the Pro version. A 30-day free trial of Canva’s Pro account is also available for anyone unsure about purchasing it.
Adding fonts to Canva requires that you have the proper permission to do so. In other words, you have the option of using either freely available or commercially licensed fonts. Additionally, the maximum number of fonts that may be added to a Canva account is 100.
If you have an account that supports uploading a font, you have first to get the font you want on your PC. You can do that by downloading fonts. Here’s how:
Google Fonts is a great option to get fonts for your Canva designs.
- Go to the Google Fonts website.
- To narrow your search, use the categories and options that appear when you open the site.
- A tiny black box will appear at the bottom of your screen that reads “1 Family Selected” once you pick a font.
- Click the download button.
Your font will be downloaded in a Zip format. You’ll only need to unzip it before uploading the font to Canva.
Creative Market is also a great source to get your desired fonts. It’s also pretty simple to download the fonts you want.
- Go to the Creative Market website.
- Log in or make an account.
- Select a font.
- Click on the download button.
Now that you have the necessary Canva account and the font you want, it’s time to upload it to Canva. Follow these steps:
- Open Canva.
- Choose “Brand Kit” from the sidebar on the homepage. For Canva for Enterprise users, click your company name in the sidebar, then pick the “Brand Kits” option first. Select which Brand Kit to personalize if you have several Kits.
- Click “Upload a Font” under “Brand Fonts.” Canva accepts the OTF, TTF, and WOFF file formats.
- Select the font to upload and press the “Open” button. Remember only to upload fonts that you have permission to use.
- You will be asked if you have the necessary licenses or permissions to use the font. To confirm that you have, click “Yes, upload away!”
- Wait for the upload to complete. A pop-up notice will indicate whether or not it was successful.
Uploaded fonts will be at the top of the list of fonts when you add text to your design.
How to Upload Fonts to Canva From a Mobile Device
Even though the mobile app for Canva has a lot of options, it’s still not possible to upload fonts through the app. However, you can still upload to the app by accessing Canva via your web browser on your phone. For now, this is the only option. The steps are similar to uploading a font to Canva from a PC:
- Launch Canva in your web browser.
- Select “Brand Kit” from the homepage’s sidebar. For Canva for Enterprise customers, click your company name in the sidebar, then select “Brand Kits.” If you have multiple Brand Kits, choose which one to customize.
- Under “Brand Fonts,” click “Upload a Font.”
- Choose the font to upload and click the “Open” option.
- You will be prompted to confirm that you have the relevant licenses or permits to use the font. Click “Yes, upload away!” to indicate that you have.
- Wait for the upload to finish. If it is successful, a pop-up message will appear.
When it comes to obtaining a font on your mobile device, there are a couple of ways you can do so. You can download a font to your PC as described above and then transfer the file to your mobile device. This can be done using Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, or a USB cable.
Another option is to go to the Google Play Store and download an app with fonts. Just keep in mind the font requirements. Alternatively, you can access Google Fonts or Creative Market from your web browser on your mobile device.
How to Upload Fonts to Canva From an iPad
The same constraints exist for iPad users as with mobile users. You’ll have to log into Canva from the web browser to upload a font. The steps are similar to uploading a font from a mobile device.
- Open Canva in your browser.
- From the homepage’s sidebar, select “Brand Kit.” Click your company name on the sidebar, then pick “Brand Kits” for Canva for Enterprise clients. Choose which of your Brand Kits to personalize if you have more than one.
- Click “Upload a Font” under “Brand Fonts.”
- Select the font to upload and press the “Open” button.
- You’ll be asked to confirm that you have the necessary licenses or permits to use the font. To show that you have, click “Yes, upload away!”
- Wait for the upload to complete. A pop-up notice will show whether it was successful.
Why Can’t I Upload My Font to Canva?
There might be several reasons your font does not upload or causes issues when utilized. First, check if your font is in OTF, TTF, or WOFF format. Other formats are not supported. Also, the font should be licensed for embedding. Contact the font source if you’re unsure or need to obtain the relevant license or file version.
If your file and permissions check out, it may be that the file is illegible or corrupted. Instead, find a fresh copy of the font and upload it. There is also the possibility that the font is incompatible with Canva. A font may properly upload yet produce issues when utilized in a design. Errors may appear as missing letters, or the font appears different when downloaded. Find an alternative font to upload to solve this.
Use the Fonts You Want
Now you don’t have to limit your text choices when using Canva. If you’re using a free account and not sure about upgrading, take advantage of the 30-day trial. After 30 days, you can decide whether to continue and pay for a premium account. The fonts you’ve added in the 30 days will still be there for you to use with the premium account.
What’s your favorite font? Do you think Canva has enough font to choose from? Let us know in the comment section below!