How To Use Bait and Fish in Stardew Valley
Stardew Valley is a popular farming simulation RPG available for multiple platforms. One of the ways you can spend time is fishing, but you’ll need some bait first.
Because each platform has different controllers, the steps for one may not work for another. You can find out how to fish for all major platforms below. Read on for all the details.
The Nintendo Switch version was released in 2017, a year after the original release on PC. You’ll primarily use the Joy-Cons or a Pro Controller to play Stardew Valley on this platform. However, you can also plug in a non-official controller and use it as a wired Pro Controller.
Using bait and fishing goes like this on the Nintendo Switch.
- Head to a body of water in Stardew Valley.
- Open the inventory and highlight the cursor on the bait.
- Press A on the bait to select all or Y for only one.
- Press Y to attach bait to the rod.
- Once that’s done, exit the inventory.
- Press Y to cast your line.
- Wait for fish to bite and fill up the catch meter.
- Get your fish and repeat as necessary.
Stardew Valley for the Nintendo Switch can be played in docked or handheld mode. The controls are identical, so there’s no need to learn two sets of muscle memory just to play the game. It doesn’t matter if you’re using wireless Pro Controllers, JoyCons, and others.
The original version of Stardew Valley doesn’t just support a mouse and keyboard. You can use the following controllers too:
- Xbox One
- Xbox 360
- Switch Pro Controller
- Switch Joy-Cons
Players have the freedom to bind actions to different buttons, but we’ll use the default controls here.
- Open your inventory.
- Left-click or right-click the bait depending on how much you want to fish.
- Right-click the rod.
- Right-click to cast your line in a body of water.
- Let a fish bite and fill up the meter.
- Hook the fish in and repeat as much as you like.
If you’re not using a mouse and keyboard, scroll to the platform of your preferred controller. Those instructions will work for the PC version as well.
Whether on iOS or Android, the primary controller for Stardew Valley is the touchscreen. This will require you to use your fingers and thumbs. However, the mobile version does support controllers too.
These are the touch screen controls to bait and fish.
- Touch your screen to bring up the inventory.
- Tap and drag on the bait or stack it all on the rod.
- Use your finger to tap on the water.
- Wait for the fish to bite.
- Fill up the meter and catch the fish successfully.
- Repeat the steps if needed.
If your mobile device has a controller, follow these steps instead.
- Go near a river or another fishing spot.
- Open the inventory.
- Select one or all of the bait.
- Attach the bait to your rod.
- Press the “Use Tool” button to cast your line.
- Wait for something to bite.
- Hold or release the button to fill the meter.
- Repeat to catch more fish.
Every controller for mobile is different. Your phone may use Bluetooth-enabled controllers such as the Xbox One or Pro Controller. Of course, the buttons may vary due to this.
Stardew Valley is only available on the PS4, but you can transfer your copy to your PS5. Sadly, it’s not currently available natively on the second console. That said, the controls are no different, and customization is possible.
- Bring up the inventory near a fishing spot.
- Press X for a stack or the square button for singular bait pieces.
- Press the square button on the fishing rod to attach bait.
- Exit the inventory.
- Press the square button again to start fishing.
- Wait for a bite and get the fish.
- Repeat the steps to start fishing.
Besides fish, you may sometimes reel in some garbage. Don’t give up. You can still get some rare catches.
Both the Xbox One and Xbox 360 controllers have the same face buttons. Thus, consult the instructions below, regardless of your console.
- Open your inventory.
- Press A for a whole stack of bait or X just for one.
- Press X to attach the bait to your rod.
- Start fishing.
- Repeat until you’re finished.
PC players can use these and other instructions to play the fishing minigame.
What rods do you need for fishing in Stardew Valley?
While there are several fishing rods in the game, only two of them can be used with bait. They are the fiberglass rod and iridium rod. Crab pots can also hold bait, but the process is different.
These rods are all available from Willy’s Shop.
What can you catch in Stardew Valley?
Besides fish of varying rarities, there are chances your fishing rod reels in some trash instead. Your location will change the probability of reeling a fine catch too.
Fishing in Stardew Valley isn’t just a simple minigame. A whole system determines what you may catch and how rare the fish can be. The highest grade is Iridium.
Different fishes have distinct patterns. Learning them all makes it much easier to catch them perfectly.
How do I increase my fishing skill in Stardew Valley?
The best way to increase your fishing skill is to catch as many things as possible. They include:
• White Algae
• Green Algae
• Crab Pots
Getting objects from a Fish Pond can also increase your fishing skill.
Once you know how fishing works, many rewards from rare fish to treasure become available. You can get enough ingredients to cook or even find rare Artifacts in the game. Many players level up their fishing to take advantage of these prizes.
How much do you fish in Stardew Valley? What new fishing features do you wish to see? Let us know below.