How To Use Netflix Without a Smart TV
Netflix continues to grow in popularity with an estimated 37% of internet users subscribed to its service. With the wide variety of movie genres and TV series available for streaming, Netflix continues to gain more positive reviews from its subscribers.
Netflix can be streamed via smart TVs, smart phones, tablets, laptops, personal computers, game consoles, and streaming media players. Most people prefer to stream movies through their TV, even if you don’t have a smart TV, you can still stream Netflix by hooking up other internet-ready devices to your TV.
There are many ways to do it. You can simply connect your laptop to the TV and stream Netflix via a web browser, or hook up your phone to the TV. For a more complicated setup, you can stream Netflix on your TV if you have an internet-ready Blu-ray player or another video component, such as Roku.
This article will explain some of the easiest solutions to watch Netflix without a Smart TV.
Connecting a Laptop to a TV via HDMI
You can download the Netflix app to your laptop, and then use an HDMI cable to connect it to your TV. Make sure that you have an available electric socket nearby since your laptop will consume power and would have to stay on for longer than usual.
Make sure that your TV has an HDMI input available and your laptop has an HDMI output. All newer TVs and laptops should have it. However, some MacBooks don’t, but you can get a Mini Display Port- or Thunderbolt-to-HDMI adapter.
With that out of the way, follow these steps:
- Connect your TV and laptop via an HDMI cable.
- Change your TV’s video input to HDMI. You can usually do this via your remote by pressing the ‘Source’ or ‘Input’ button until you find HDMI. If it has more than one HDMI input, make sure to set it to the right one – usually HDMI 1, HDMI 2, etc.
- When successfully connected, you should see your laptop display on your TV screen.
- Launch Netflix on your laptop’s browser and start streaming.
If the sound is coming from your laptop instead of the TV, or if you don’t hear anything at all, you’ll have to change the sound source on your laptop.
For a PC, you can:
- Type ‘Manage Audio Devices’ in the search bar at the bottom left of the screen.
- Open the ‘Manage Audio Devices’ menu.
- Click on the ‘Playback’ tab.
- Double click on your TV icon.
This should change the default sound output to your TV via the HDMI cable.
Streaming Netflix via Media Players
Various big-name media players such as Roku, Apple TV, and Google Chromecast are compatible with Netflix. You can also use them to stream Netflix from your phone to your TV.
Stream Netflix via Chromecast
To stream Netflix with Chromecast, you should:
- Connect your Chromecast to the TV and to the Wi-Fi network.
- Use your phone to sign into Netflix.
- Tap on the ‘Cast’ icon on the top right side of the screen.
- Select your Chromecast from the list.
- Play anything that you want and Netflix should stream on your TV.
Streaming Netflix via Apple TV
Depending on the version of your Apple TV, there are two ways to watch Netflix via Apple TV. Apple TV 2 and 3 have a built-in Netflix app. So you only have to select it from the menu and sign in.
If you have Apple TV 4 or Apple TV4k, do the following:
- Download the Netflix app from the App Store.
- Once installed, launch the Netflix app and sign in to your Netflix account.
- The device is now connected to your Netflix account and you can start streaming.
Streaming Netflix on Your TV via Roku
Getting Netflix on Roku is a simple task. You should see the app on the home screen.
If not, you should:
- Choose the ‘Streaming Channels’ option from the home screen. You may find the Netflix icon here.
- Select ‘Movies & TV’.
- Choose the Netflix icon.
- Choose ‘Add Channel’.
- Select ‘Go to Channel’.
That’s it. You should be able to watch your Netflix shows now.
Watching Netflix on Your TV via Gaming Consoles
Next-generation gaming consoles such as PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, and Xbox One are all compatible with Netflix. So, if you have one of these consoles, you can get the Netflix app and stream any available content.
On a PlayStation, just go to the home screen and select ‘TV & Video’. Then, choose the Netflix app and it will download to the console.
With Xbox, go to Microsoft Store and select Apps. Find Netflix and click ‘Install’. Then Launch the app when it’s done.
Watch Netflix on Android
You can enjoy streaming your favorite Netflix films and series conveniently on your Android device.
- Download the Netflix app from the Play Store.
- Once installed, you can log in using your Netflix account and password.
- You can then enjoy hundreds of films right in your smart phone or tablet.
If you prefer to watch Netflix on a bigger screen, you can always cast it to your TV via media adapters like Chromecast.