How to Cancel Netflix: Stop Your Netflix Subscription on iPhone, iPad, Android, and Online
Netflix helped change how we digest video content and binge-watch TV shows, and it gives new life to the low-rated B-movies that time forgot.
Packages start at $9.99 per month, rising to $19.99 per month if you want Ultra HD footage and multiple accounts per subscription. No matter what package you opt for, you’ll have access to Netflix.
However, you may not fancy keeping Netflix after your month-long free trial has run its course. Many subscription services hide their Unsubscribe buttons in the depths of their settings, but Netflix is surprisingly easy to cancel.
If you want to cancel Netflix because you feel you’ve watched all of the desired content it offers, or you want to end the trial before you have to pay, you can cancel your account.
How to Cancel Your Netflix Subscription in a Web Browser
- Log in to your Netflix account, select your profile icon, and then click on Account.
- On your My Account page, you can see everything about your account, including plan details, settings, and playback preferences. Click on Cancel Membership under Membership & Billing to cancel your subscription.
- A confirmation page appears confirming your subscription termination. Be warned: if you signed up for the service when it was a lower price, you would pay more if you come back.
How to Cancel Your Netflix Subscription on Android
- Open the Netflix app on your Android device, and tap on the profile icon in the upper right-hand corner.
- Select Account and choose the web browser you’d like to use to cancel your membership.
- From here, you’ll go to the website and sign in. Then, use the same website steps you used above to cancel your membership.
How to Cancel Your Netflix Account: iOS
iPhone and iPad users can bypass the Netflix account altogether. Head straight to Safari or Chrome and visit your Netflix account page. From there, you should be able to use the desktop version of Netflix to cancel your membership.
- Tap the hamburger icon (three vertical lines) in the upper left-hand corner and choose Account.
- Scroll down the page and tap Cancel Membership.
- Confirm the cancellation by tapping on Finish Cancellation.
You can still access Netflix’s content when you initiate the cancellation until your billing date expires. To check your subscription, go to your Account Settings and look under ‘Membership.’ The next billing date will be listed.
You should receive a cancellation email from Netflix. Check your email to ensure that you won’t get billed for Netflix again.
Canceling Netflix if Billed Through Another Service
It is not uncommon to sign up for Netflix through Amazon, iTunes, your ISP, or another service. Unfortunately, if you’ve signed up through one of those options, you can’t cancel directly through Netflix. This scenario is because your account got linked to another service.
Canceling Netflix Through iTunes
- Cancel by opening the Settings app on your iPhone.
- Tap on your Apple ID at the top, then choose Subscriptions. Next, locate the Netflix subscription and cancel it.
Canceling Netflix Through Amazon
- Amazon subscribers can visit the Memberships and Subscriptions page to cancel their Netflix service.
- Click the Advanced Controls option and choose Cancel.
Canceling Netflix Through Google Play
Canceling Netflix through Google Play is simple.
- Open the Google Play Store on your Android device and click the hamburger icon (three-line icon) in the top left corner.
- Tap on Subscriptions and select Netflix. Choose the option to cancel and follow the prompts.
Canceling Netflix Through Comcast Xfinity
If you’re billed through an ISP like Comcast Xfinity, visit your Netflix account page for more instructions on how to cancel. Comcast, in particular, once offered the service for free, so you may not be paying for the service at all. You can also log into your ISP account to check for subscriptions. This process is the same if you get billed through your cell phone carrier.
How to Cancel Netflix if Your Account Got Hacked
Netflix users worldwide have run into the unfortunate pirates of the internet. If your account got hacked and the login information changed, you may wonder what to do. You can’t log in to cancel the account, so how do you either get it back or discontinue its billing?
Assuming you’re not paying for Netflix through a third-party service, you’ll need help logging in. Go to the Netflix login page and click the Need help? button.
Netflix will require your login information and the billing method on file. Once you’ve provided this information, the support team will help you take back your account so that you can cancel it. We do have more information on getting your account back here.
Now that you know how to cancel Netflix, you can free yourself of the burden of another monthly bill. Like many others, you might subscribe to Netflix only when they have new seasons of original content that you want to watch and then cancel until the next season comes out.
Canceling Netflix FAQs
I canceled my subscription but still got billed. What’s going on?
Netflix cancelations take effect on the next billing cycle. If you’re due to be billed on the first of the upcoming month but cancel on the 15th, you’ll still have access to Netflix’s content until the first.
Unfortunately, delays can occur when canceling, which means that if you cancel your subscription within one or two days from the renewal date, you may see another charge.
Once you’ve canceled your membership, verify that you have correctly completed the cancelation by checking your email. You should receive a confirmation email. If you didn’t receive one, log into Netflix and check that your membership shows an expiration (there will be a notice listed).
Lastly, if you’re positive you canceled your account on time and canceled the correct one (you may have multiple), contact Netflix Support for help. Netflix’s official stance on refunds is that they do not offer them, but if you got billed incorrectly, it’s worth reaching out to get your money back possibly.
I don’t see the option to cancel under my profile. Why not?
If you’ve followed the steps above but do not see a cancellation option, it’s because you’re getting billed through another service. If you aren’t sure which one, visit your Netflix account page and click on the link where your billing information should be. This section will walk you through the cancelation process for your account setup.
Can I reactivate my account?
Yes. Netflix will allow you to reactivate your account for up to 10 months. If you do so within this period, your viewing history and everything will remain intact.
If you attempt to cancel after this period, you will need to start a brand new account.
Can I pause my account?
Pausing a subscription allows users to suspend their payments and service for a specified period, but not everyone has the option. Netflix did confirm in July of 2021 that it is testing the option. As of May 22, 2022, the feature is still unavailable to many members. For those who can pause their Netflix account, resume your subscription before the 10th billing period to continue your service just as it was before.