How to Remove Netflix Recently Watched Shows
With so many shows and movies available to stream on Netflix, your recently watched content may fill up quickly. This annoyance can make it tedious to search for a show you recently watched. Thankfully, you can clear some or all the content in your “Recently Watched” list.
Whether you want to keep your viewing activity private or stream on a family member’s account undetected, we’ll show you how to remove your recently watched shows.
How to Remove Recently Watched Shows from Netflix on PC and Mac
If you’re using a PC, a Mac, or a web browser on a mobile device, you can follow the steps below to remove your viewing activity. If you have more than one profile, you will need to remove the viewing activity for each profile.
Visit the Netflix website and follow these instructions:
- Log in to your Netflix account, hover over your “profile” icon, then click on “Account.”
- Now, click on the “dropdown arrowhead” icon to the right of your profile.
- Next, underneath the “Profile & Parental Controls” section, click on “View” to the right of “Viewing activity.”
- If you want to remove just one episode, click on the “slashed circle” icon and select “Hide from your history.”
- You can also hide the entire series by clicking on the “Hide series?” link. This option appears after removing one item of a set in your watch history.
- You can also hide your entire history by scrolling to the bottom and clicking on the “Hide all” option.
That’s it; you’re done! You’ve removed all that questionable content from your Netflix and can watch your shows in the comfort of knowing you can remove them again with ease.
Removing Viewing History on the iOS Mobile App
Unfortunately, Netflix has removed the account access options for the app version of the streaming service. If you’d like to delete viewing history from your mobile device, use a web browser and log into Netflix.
- Click on the browser’s menu option and choose “Request Desktop Site,” then follow the steps above to remove your recently watched history.
How to Remove Recently Watched Shows from Netflix on Android
Android users still have an Account option in their Netflix app. This option automatically takes you to a web browser, but it is viewable in the mobile version of the website, making it much easier to manage.
- Open the “Netflix” app and tap on the “profile” you’d like to edit.
- Now, tap the “three horizontal lines” in the lower right-hand corner. You may be prompted to select a web browser and log in.
- Then, tap on “Account.”
- Tap on the “downward arrowhead” icon next to your profile.
- Next, tap on “View” found next to “Viewing activity.”
- As with the instructions above, you can click the “crossed out circle” icon to remove one show or click on “Hide all.”
Hiding your viewing history is simple once you understand the layout. You have to use a web browser, but Safari, Chrome, and even Samsung Internet can perform the task.
How to Remove Netflix Recently Watched Shows on a Roku Device
- Open the “Netflix” app located on the Roku homepage.
- Click on a “title” you want to remove from your “Continue Watching” list. Scroll down in the pop-up menu and select “Remove from My List.”
- You’ll need to repeat the above step with all the titles you want to remove from your “Continue Watching” list.
Deleting items from your Netflix watchlist is simple on a Roku device, like deleting from your Netflix watchlist on an Amazon Firestick.
Deleting your Netflix watch history is pretty straightforward for the most part, but there are a few things you should know just in case you run into problems.
Of course, you probably logged into the correct account to delete your watch history, but if you went through the process and it didn’t work, double-check that you’ve logged in properly. Next, Netflix states it can take up to 24 hours to remove your watched history on all devices. If it doesn’t disappear immediately, wait it out or log into another device.
Lastly, a child’s profile will not present the option to delete watched items. For whatever reason, Netflix restricts minors from deleting their history so try another profile instead.
In closing, Netflix’s viewing history controls your continued watching content and suggested content, so be mindful of that when making changes. Of course, cleaning up your Netflix account after years of binge-watching is still a good thing.
Netflix Watchlist Removal FAQs
There is recent viewing that I didn’t watch. Is this a glitch?
If you see content in your recently viewed section, it’s likely because someone else is using your Netflix profile, or you accidentally selected it and backed out of it. Under the account settings, you can view login activity.
First, check for any devices that don’t belong to you (or locations that aren’t near you). You can click the option to Sign Out of all Devices and change your password to secure your account.
Can I just delete an entire Netflix profile to remove a watchlist?
Yes, if you have a profile you’d like to remove, aside from the one used to create the account, you can click the edit option from within the app and remove the profile with all its stored content.
If I delete my account, will my watch history be deleted?
When you delete your Netflix account, it takes about ten months for all accompanying data to disappear. This scenario means that you can recover your account with your watch history within that timeframe after you cancel your subscription.
After the recovery timeframe ends, you can create a new account without the watch or search history.
How do I recover my Continue Watching content?
If you deleted your watch history, you also deleted your “Continue Watching” content. The shows and movies you haven’t finished yet will no longer appear in the section of Netflix that allows you to pick back up where you left off. Honestly, there is no way to recover the content if you deleted it, but you can always start watching the show again.
Many users have complained that their “Continued Watching” content disappeared. Assuming you didn’t delete it, but it is gone, you can contact Netflix support for help. A glitch causes this content to disappear, reappear, and then disappear once more. Because the feature makes the platform much easier to use, it’s worth reaching out to Netflix’s support for help on this one.
Can you clear the search history on Netflix?
Netflix doesn’t really keep track of the shows and movies you’ve searched for, so there’s no reason to delete it, and therefore there’s no option to do so. Deleting your viewing history should suffice for privacy.
Can I delete the main profile on my account to reset my watchlist?
No. But, you can make some edits and delete the viewing history. If you initially set the account up for someone else and would now like to refresh it for yourself, the original profile will need to remain.
Click the edit option to update the name and profile picture. Then, delete all of the viewing activity to start fresh. This action removes all watched content, but it also removes the continued watching content and the biased recommendations based on previously streamed genres.