How to Install & Setup a VPN on a PS4
Sony does not support VPN apps on its platform, so you’re not able to download a VPN app from the PlayStation Store to set up a connection. However, the good news is, there are a couple of simple ways to bypass this. Today we’ll take you through those workarounds.
In this article, we’ll show you the easiest ways to set up a VPN on a Playstation 4.
Set Up a VPN via Your Wi-Fi Router
The simplest way to use a VPN with your PS4 is via your router. When setting up a VPN on your router, all traffic flowing through your router (including your PS4 traffic) will be automatically encrypted.
VPN connections are supported on most modern routers. You simply need to enter your account details in the router settings. The exact steps are dependent on the router manufacturer, but essentially the process will be similar to this:
- Go to ExpressVPN to set up an account and a VPN subscription.
- Log into your router and find the settings menu.
- Locate the VPN page where you’ll need to enter the following details provided during your ExpressVPN account set up:
- The service name
- Server address
- Your account name/email address and password
- A pre-shared key for encryption
Now when you connect your PS4 to the internet, it will use the VPN connection. This new connection works for all your connecting devices.
Set Up a VPN via Your Computer
If your router does not allow VPN connections, this is the option for you. It’s also better to use this method if you prefer not to have all your devices use the VPN. With these steps, you’d essentially turn your computer into a virtual router.
Before you start, though, you’ll need an internet-enabled computer and an extra Ethernet cable to connect to your console.
It may sound a bit tricky, but it’s relatively simple. Here’s how to set this up via Windows:
- Visit ExpressVPN to set up an account and a VPN subscription.
- Download and install the ExpressVPN app.
- Launch the app and click “Sign up.”
- Follow the on-screen prompts to sign up and log in.
- Choose a subscription plan, pick the country for your connection, and press the Power button to connect.
- Plug your Ethernet cable into your computer and your PS4.
- Go to “Control Panel,” “Network and Internet,” then “Network and Sharing Center.”
- On the left, click “Change Adapter Settings.”
- On your VPN connection, right-click, then choose “Properties.”
- In the “Sharing” tab, ensure the “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s internet connection” option is selected.
- Select “Home Networking Connection” then from the pull-down menu, then choose your internet connection. This will need to be a “Wi-Fi” connection if your computer has one Ethernet port.
- Now on your PS4, select “Settings,” “Network Settings,” “Set Up Internet Connection.”
- Choose “Use a LAN Cable,” then select the “Easy connection” method.
- When prompted, select “Do Not Use a Proxy Server.”
- If you wish, you can now test your internet connection to confirm your PS4 is connected to the internet through your VPN.
Follow the same steps to use a VPN via macOS:
- Plug your Ethernet cable into the back of your PS4 and your Mac.
- Go to “System Preferences,” “Sharing,” and choose “Internet Sharing.”
- In the “Share your connection from” pull-down menu, select “Wi-Fi.”
- Ensure the “Ethernet” option is checked via the “To computers using” list.
- Check the box to the left of “Internet Sharing.”
- In your browser, visit the ExpressVPN website to set up an account and a VPN subscription.
- Download and install the ExpressVPN app.
- Open the app and select “Sign up.”
- Follow the on-prompts to sign up and log in.
- Select a subscription plan. Pick the location you’d like to connect to and press the Power button to connect.
- Test your internet connection to confirm your PS4 has successfully connected to the internet through your ExpressVPN.
How to Use a VPN on a PS4 With a Windows PC
To use a VPN on your PS4 via a Windows PC, you can set up a virtual access point on your computer and connect to it. Essentially, your computer will share the VPN connection with your PS4.
You’ll need an Ethernet cable, and your computer needs an Ethernet port and Wi-Fi card to make all the connections. This method is not as technical as it may sound. Here’s how to quickly set it up:
- Connect your PS4 console and computer via Ethernet cable.
- Go to “Control Panel,” “Network and Sharing Center,” then choose “Change Adapter Settings.”
- Right-click on your VPN, then choose “Properties.”
- Beneath “Sharing,” ensure the “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s internet connection” option is selected.
- Download and install ExpressVPN.
- Click “Sign up,” then follow the instructions to set up a subscription.
- Pick the country and press the Power button to connect.
- From your PS4, test your internet connection to confirm you’ve successfully connected through your ExpressVPN account.
How to Use a VPN on a PS4 With a Mac
To use a VPN on your console with your macOS, you can set up a virtual router. This method will share your computer’s VPN connection with your PS4 console.
To set this up, you’ll need an Ethernet cable, and your Mac needs an Ethernet port and Wi-Fi card to make all the connections. Here’s how to set it up:
- Download and install the ExpressVPN application on your Mac.
- Click “Sign In” to create an account and choose your subscription.
- Connect your Mac and PS4 via Ethernet cable.
- Navigate to “System Preferences,” “Sharing,” then from the list on the left, choose “Internet Sharing.”
- Select “Wi-Fi” from the “Share your connection” pull-down menu.
- Ensure “Ethernet” is checked via the “To computers using” list.
- To the left of “Internet Sharing,” check the box to enable internet connection sharing. If prompted, confirm the choice. A green icon will display if successful.
- Open the ExpressVPN app to connect to a server in your chosen country.
- On your PS4, navigate to “Settings,” “Network Settings,” then “Set Up Internet Connection.”
- Select “Use a LAN Cable,” then the “Easy connection method.”
- When prompted, click “Do Not Use a Proxy Server.”
- Test your PS4 internet connection to confirm it’s connected to the internet via your ExpressVPN account.
Will my ping be affected while using a VPN?
Your ping will not be affected using VPN. One of a VPN’s purposes in gaming is to reduce lag by offering fast connections to a network of servers around the globe.
Playing Your PlayStation From Anywhere in the World
Using a VPN on your PS4 will trick it into thinking that you’re accessing it from somewhere else in the world. It’s excellent for reducing gaming lag, accessing new PlayStation games, or geo-restricted streaming content.
Since Sony doesn’t support VPN apps or their sideloading, you can configure your router to use a VPN connection by manually entering your VPN account details. Alternatively, you can set up your computer as a virtual router.
Which method did you use to connect a VPN to your console? Let us know in the comments section below.
Disclaimer: Some pages on this site may include an affiliate link. This does not effect our editorial in any way.