How To View Your Own LinkedIn Profile
Your LinkedIn profile is much more than just a “profile.” In this day and age, it represents your professional image. Besides your business contacts, your potential future employers may also be roaming this site. Having a spotless LinkedIn profile is essential to make the best possible impression on them.
To determine how others will perceive you on LinkedIn, you should take a look at what they’re seeing on your profile. Here’s how to do it regardless of the device you are using. You’ll also learn the answers to common questions like how to adjust your profile visibility and change your custom URL.
How to View Your Own LinkedIn Profile on a PC
You can view your LinkedIn profile on a PC in several ways.
View Your Profile as You, the Owner, See It
Follow these steps to go to the page where you can edit your profile:
- Go to the LinkedIn website and log into your account.
- Click your icon in the top navigation menu.
- Choose “View Profile” in the dropdown menu.
Note that this is not how a stranger or contact will see you on LinkedIn. However, this is where you can make changes to your profile. Come back here whenever you want to add or edit something.
View Your Profile as Someone Else Sees It
You are probably more interested in seeing your profile as an outsider. To do that, log into your account and follow these steps:
- Click your icon in the navigation menu.
- Choose “Settings & Privacy.”
- Find “Visibility” in the sidebar and click it.
- To view your profile, click the second option, “Edit your public profile.”
What you’ll see on the left side of the screen is how your profile looks to the public.
You can also access this page through a different route:
- Click your icon in the navigation menu at the top and find “View profile.”
- Look for the “Edit public profile & URL” option in the right sidebar.
It will open your profile preview just the same.
Use Incognito Mode to View Your Profile
You can look at your profile as someone not logged into LinkedIn to give you a different perspective.
- Click your icon and then “View Profile” in the navigation.|
- While on your profile page, you will see your profile link in your browser’s address bar. Copy the link.
- Open a new incognito (or private) window in your browser and paste the link.
The page will show you exactly how someone coming from Google Search, for instance, would see your profile.
How to View Your Own LinkedIn Profile on an iPhone
If you’re using the iPhone app, follow these steps to check out your profile:
- Launch the LinkedIn app and log in.
- Tap your icon in the top left corner next to the search bar.
- “View Profile” will take you to the page where you can view and edit your profile. To see your profile as someone else, tap “Settings.”
- Find “Visibility” and then “Edit your public profile.”
You will get a preview of your profile as strangers see it.
How to View Your Own LinkedIn Profile on an Android
If you’re an Android user, here’s how to view your profile on the Android app:
- Open the app and make sure you’re logged in.
- Press your icon in the upper left corner and tap “Settings” under your name.
- Find the “Visibility” option.
- Tap “Edit your public profile” on the next screen.
- To preview your public profile, tap on this option at the very bottom of the screen.
Of course, you can also open your profile as your own and make changes to it in the Android app. Just go back home, tap your icon, and choose “View Profile.”
If you don’t have the app, you can open LinkedIn in your mobile browser and similarly find the settings.
- Tap on your icon in the corner to go directly to your profile page.
- Find the settings icon in the upper right corner of your header.
- Press “Visibility,” then “Edit your public profile,” and preview how it looks.
Tip: You will also find your profile’s custom URL on this page. Copy the URL and open it into an incognito tab to see how your profile looks in a mobile browser to users who aren’t logged in.
Can I view my profile as a specific person?
In the past, you could view your profile from the perspective of a specific connection. This was a useful feature as a first, second, or third-degree connection might not see the same thing when browsing your profile. However, you can no longer do that on LinkedIn.
How to change my profile’s visibility
You can edit your profile’s public visibility if you open the preview of your profile through the steps above. Once on the preview, scroll down until you see toggles in the right sidebar. Disable whatever you want to remove from your public profile. You can also turn public visibility off entirely.
How to edit my profile’s URL
Every profile on LinkedIn has a custom URL. You can see yours in the sidebar when previewing your public profile. If you are dissatisfied with this URL, you can edit it right on this page. Click the pencil icon next to the URL, and you’ll be able to input your new one.
Manage Your LinkedIn Presence
Anyone serious about building a professional image on the internet should mind their LinkedIn presence. Have a fresh look at your LinkedIn profile by following the above steps and tweak it until you’re satisfied. You can even check your presence from your browser and the app to get the most accurate impression.
What’s your secret to an enticing profile page? If you have any useful tips, please share them in the comments below.
Disclaimer: Some pages on this site may include an affiliate link. This does not effect our editorial in any way.