Is the Webcam on Your Acer Laptop Not Working? Here’s How to Fix It
It’s not unheard of for your webcam to let you down you when you most need it. Often, it’s a simple glitch. But in other cases, you need to figure out how to solve the issue by changing your laptop settings.
If you have an Acer laptop and your webcam is misbehaving, there may be plenty of reasons behind it. In this article, we’ve come up with a few solutions to help you get your camera back in working order.
How to Fix the Webcam on Your Acer Laptop
Nearly all newer laptop models come with an integrated camera. If your Acer laptop has a built-in webcam and you’re using the Windows 10 OS, here are some possible fixes you can try out if your cam isn’t displaying video.
1. Check the Driver
A corrupted or outdated driver may be causing the issue with your camera. To check if this is the problem, follow these steps.
- Go to the taskbar and click on the magnifying glass icon in the left corner.
- Type in Device Manager and click to open it when it appears in search results.
- Find Imaging devices in the list on the left and click to see your camera’s name.
- Double-click on the cam to open details.
- If the Device status says “This device is working properly”, you don’t need to update the driver.
If the device isn’t working correctly, you can try uninstalling the driver. Here’s how:
- Right-click on the webcam.
- Choose Uninstall device from the pop-up list.
- Choose Delete the driver software for this device from the pop-up window and click on Uninstall to confirm.
- Restart your laptop and wait for the driver to be reinstalled automatically.
- If this doesn’t happen, you can install the missing driver manually. Go to the Acer official website and browse for the driver you need. Download it and install it on your laptop. In case you can’t find a driver for Windows 10, the ones made for previous versions of Windows will work as well, as they’re compatible with other operating systems.
If you’ve updated a driver and your webcam has stopped working after that, you can go back to using the previous driver version.
- Open the Device Manager, then right-click on the webcam.
- Choose Properties from the pop-up menu.
- Click on the Driver tab.
- Choose Roll Back Driver and click Yes to confirm.
- Restart your laptop and check if your cam is now working. If not, you may need to scan for hardware changes to help your computer recognize the driver change. You can do so by right-clicking on the cam name and selecting the mentioned option.
2. Disable/Enable the Webcam
You can try fixing the problem by disabling the camera and enabling it again.
- Open the previously mentioned Device Manager.
- Click on the Imaging devices option to reveal your camera.
- Right-click on the webcam’s name to access the pop-up list.
- Select Disable device.
- Select Yes in the pop-up window to confirm your choice.
- The best practice is to restart your computer and then repeat the steps, but only now select Enable device from the pop-up list.
3. Allow the Apps to Use Your Webcam
You may be experiencing webcam privacy issues. It’s necessary to allow the apps you want to use, such as Skype or FaceTime, to access your cam. Follow these simple steps to do so:
- Go to the taskbar and click on Start.
- Scroll to find Settings and click to open.
- Enter “webcam” in the search field in the upper right corner.
- Select Webcam privacy settings.
- See if the “Let apps use my camera option” is enabled. If not, switch the toggle to On.
4. Make Sure You’re Not Using More Than One App
If you want it to work correctly, only one app or program at a time can use your webcam. Ensure that, for instance, only Skype is trying to access your camera. Close all other programs and apps that may be using your cam. If you’re not sure which apps those may be, you can close them all. But before you do, make sure that you’ve saved all your work.
5. Reinstall the Programs or Apps
Maybe the problem isn’t with your webcam, but in the programs trying to use it. If the file was corrupted during installation, you might not be able to make your camera work. The best option is to uninstall the program or the app from your laptop and install it again.
At the very least check for updates – you may not be using the latest version of the app. If your webcam has suddenly stopped working, this is likely to be the cause. Also, remember that you need to allow the Adobe Flash for certain websites if you want to make video calls, for instance, on FaceTime.
Get Ready for Video Calls
At least one of these fixes will make sure you’re ready for your next video call. It’s recommended to start simple – before you contemplate more complex solutions, try simply restarting your laptop. It can often solve the problem so you can get on with your day like nothing happened. If this doesn’t help, try out other suggestions from this article.
Do you have other fixes? Share your suggestions in the comments section below.
Disclaimer: Some pages on this site may include an affiliate link. This does not effect our editorial in any way.
6 thoughts on “Is the Webcam on Your Acer Laptop Not Working? Here’s How to Fix It”
Nicht zu glauben – ich habe alles mögliche probiert, installiert usw., dieser einfache Tip hat geholfen.
Ich habe mit dem Daumen und dem Zeigefinger die Kamera “zerdrückt”, und siehe da die Kamera funktioniert.
Unbelievable – I’ve tried everything, installed drivers, etc., this simple tip helped.
I “crushed” the camera with my thumb and forefinger, and look, the camera works.
Comments are closed.