How to Remove the Weather from the Taskbar in Windows
With the newest Windows 10 update, the weather widget has been moved to the right corner of your taskbar. While some Windows 10 users may find it useful to keep track of the weather whenever they’re using their laptops or computers, others don’t want it to take up so much space on their taskbar. Fortunately, it will only take you a few seconds to turn off this feature. What’s more, if you wish to enable it again, it’s equally as simple.
In this article, we’ll show you how to turn off the weather widget so that it stops taking up space on your taskbar. We’ll also show you how to edit the “News and interests” panel to make it appear less cluttered.
How to Turn off the Weather on the Taskbar in Windows 10
Since a recent Windows 10 update, there have been various features added to your desktop. One that came with the latest update is the weather widget, now located in the bottom-right corner of your screen. If you don’t see the weather and news section on your taskbar, it means that you aren’t using the latest Windows 10 update. Since this feature is enabled by default, you don’t need to do anything to turn it on.
This feature is otherwise called the “News and interest” tab, and once you click on it, you’ll be able to browse through various types of information. Aside from the weather, news, stocks, and sports announcement are also available.
While some Windows 10 users don’t mind any of the features that come with the system update, others find the weather widget distracting and unnecessary. Luckily, there is an easy and quick way to disable this feature.
To turn off the weather widget, follow the steps below:
- Right-click on the weather widget in the bottom-right corner of your taskbar.
- Hover over the “News and Interests” tab on the pop-up menu.
- Select “Turn Off” from the list of options.
The weather widget will immediately disappear from your taskbar. If you change your mind and want to turn it back on, this is what you need to do:
- Right-click anywhere on the taskbar.
- Select “News and Interests.”
- Choose “Show icon and text” or “Show icon only.”
If you prefer to have less clutter on your taskbar but still want to keep the weather widget there, click on the “Show icon only” option. If you choose to do this, you’ll only see the icon of the current weather (a cloud, the sun, rain, snow, etc.). On the other hand, if you want to know how many degrees there are throughout the whole day, you should choose the “Show icon and text” option.
Another thing you can do at this point is to make sure the “News and interests” panel doesn’t appear every time you hover your cursor over it. If you’re interested in finding out how it’s done, follow the steps below:
- Right-click on the weather widget.
- Go to “News and interests.”
- Uncheck the “Open on hover” option.
That’s all there is to it. After that, every time you want to see the weather or check out the news, you’ll have to click on the weather widget.
If there is more than one user on your laptop or computer, as an admin, you have the option to disable the weather feature for all users. For this method, we’ll be using the Registry Editor. This is what you need to do:
- Press the Windows and “R” keys at the same time.
- Type in “Regedit” in the Run window and click on “OK.” This will open the Registry Editor.
- Copy and paste this key into the empty top field:
- Find this registry: “ShellFeedsTaskbarViewMode.”
- Proceed to “Feeds.”
- Choose “New,” and then go to “Dword.”
- Type in “ShellFeedsTaskbarViewMode” as its name.
- Next to “Value Data,” select “2” on the pop-up window.
- Click on the “OK” button.
That’s it. Now no user will be able to access the weather widget.
How to Edit the News and Interests Panel
The “News and interests” box can be edited in more ways than one. If you want to configure this panel, you have the option to remove the weather card from the panel altogether. This is how it’s done:
- Click on the weather widget on your taskbar.
- Go to the weather card in the upper-right corner of the panel.
- Click on the three dots in the corner.
- Select the “Hide weather card” option.
You can also change your location by clicking on the “Edit location” option on the pop-up menu. Another way to turn off the weather card from the “News and interests” panel is by selecting the “More settings” option from the menu. This will take you to a new Microsoft Start window, where you can choose whether or not you want to have the weather, finance, sports, and traffic cards in your feed.
If you want, you can also change the language of your feed. This is how it’s done:
- Click on the weather widget at the bottom of your screen.
- Go to the weather card and click on the three dots in the upper-right screen.
- Select “More Settings.”
- Go to “Language and Content.”
- Select the language you want for your feed.
Your feed will be automatically updated as soon as you turn off the Microsoft Start window. Another feature you can disable on this page is the community reactions. To do this, simply toggle the blue switch in the “Feed” section.
Remove the Weather Widget From Your Desktop
With every Windows 10 update, new widgets and features will be added to your desktop. The good news is that they can be enabled and disabled with just a few clicks. The same goes for the weather widget. For those who don’t need this feature, they can turn it off in an instant.
Have you ever disabled the weather feature from your taskbar before? Did you use any of the methods outlined in this guide? Let us know in the comments section below.