How to use Chromecast to stream your Windows or Mac desktop
When you need to display an application on your TV that does not have built-in Chromecast support, it is possible to display your PC or Mac’s entire desktop.
Google calls the feature experimental but, in our experience, it works pretty well for showing off photos, web pages, and content hosted in applications outside Chrome. It is just as easy as anything else to do with Chromecast.
To cast your entire desktop, follow these steps:
- Open the Google Chrome browser on your computer.
- Tap the Menu option in the upper right-hand corner.
- Click Cast.
- Click the arrow beside Sources then select Cast Desktop from the dropdown menu that appears.
- Select your Chromecast device.
- Click to share your screen and audio if you would like.
- Minimize Chrome if it is in your way, but do not close it.
To stop Casting do this:
- First, stop casting by clicking the Google Cast extension and clicking the Stop casting button.