How to Stream VLC Player to Chromecast
VLC media player is, and will probably always be, the best free way to watch media files and DVDs on your computer or Android phone. However, if you use it as your default player, you will already know that it currently does not support Chromecast on PC or Android.
Worry not, because you can use VLC media player to watch media and have it cast over to your TV via Chromecast—it just takes a bit of fiddling first.
How to Stream VLC Player to Chromecast from a PC
To stream content from the VLC player on your PC to your Chromecast device, you will first need to check the software version that you are running. If you have not downloaded a VLC player to your Mac or PC, go ahead and do that by visiting the official VLC website.
For those who already have the VLC Player, open the application and head to the help menu. Once there, click About and ensure that you are running version 3 or later. This step is where Chromecast streaming was added.
To begin streaming, follow these steps:
- Select Playback in the upper left-hand corner.
- Next, tap Renderer, then select Chromecast from the list of devices.
- Once connected, choose the Media menu in the upper left-hand corner, select Open File… or Open Multiple Files…, and then navigate to and select the content you want.
If you do not see Chromecast in your list of available devices, check that your computer and your Chromecast are on the same wifi network.
How to Stream VLC Player to Chromecast from an Android Device
While VLC media player for Android will eventually come with Chromecast support, it currently is not there. You have one of two options: a) find an alternative Android video player that does stream to Chromecast (of which there are many), or, b) do it the long-winded, battery-draining way because you really have to use VLC Player.
If the latter option is your preference, here is how to do it.
- Install the Google Home app (Chromecast app) on your Android device and pair your Chromecast to it.
- Open VLC media player and start the file you want to cast.
- Open the Chromecast app, then tap the Menu button and select Cast screen/audio.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to cast your device’s display to your Chromecast.
- Go back to VLC Player and set the video to full screen mode, and voila, you are done!
Streaming VLC media player to an Android is that easy.
Streaming to a Chromecast
Although you might experience an occasional problem while using it, streaming to a Chromecast is fairly simple when everything works smoothly. Remember to check the Wi-Fi on both devices and ensure that they’re on the same network, otherwise it’s like trying to communicate with someone on a different phone call.
Did these solutions work for you? Do you stream VLC media player to your Chromecast differently? Feel free to share your thoughts with the community in the comments below.