How to Add a Family Member to Apple Music
One of the many great things about Apple Music is the option to share your subscription. By signing up for a Family Membership, you and your loved ones can use the same plan with multiple Apple IDs. All you have to do is set up a Family Sharing group and invite them to join.
Learning how to add a family member to your group is super easy. In this article, we’ll break down how to send invites to Apple Music on different devices through step-by-step instructions.
How to Invite Family Members to Apple Music on an iPhone?
First, you need to create a family group. Here’s how to do it:
- Open “Settings.” Tap the “Name, Phone Number, Email” tab at the top of the list.
- Select “Set up Family Sharing” from the options menu. A pop-up window will appear. Tap the “Get Started” button. If you’re looking for additional information, select “Learn More about Family Sharing.”
- Select Apple Music from the list below. Wait for the device to verify your Family Membership subscription.
- Proceed to send invites to the group.
You don’t have to add all family members right away. You can do it gradually until you reach the six-person limit.
The app also allows you to send and accept invitations on all Apple devices. Here’s how to invite family members to Apple Music on an iPhone:
- Open “Settings” and access your Apple ID profile.
- Go to “Family Sharing” and select “Add Member.”
- Type the name or email address of your family member. You can invite them personally or through “Messages.” Select one method.
- Follow the step-by-step instructions to complete the process.
When you send someone an invitation, they have to accept it on their device. If they already have an account, it will be shut down once they join.
Keep in mind all family members must have an Apple ID. Otherwise, they won’t be able to use your Apple Music account. If you’ve forgotten your Apple ID, you can visit iforgot.apple.com and enter your name and email address.
If your child is too young to have an Apple ID profile, you can create one instead. Here’s how to do it:
- Open “Settings” and go to your Apple ID profile.
- Tap “Family Sharing” then select “Add Family Member.”
- Select “Create a Child Account” from the list of options. Tap “Next.”
- Set the month, day, and year to your child’s birthday. It’s a necessary step for determining what type of services you require. Be careful – once you select the date, you can’t undo it.
- Read the “Parent Privacy Disclosure.” Tap “Agree” when you’re done.
- Select your pre-determined payment method. Confirm with “Next.”
- To create your child’s Apple ID, fill in the necessary information. When you’re done, tap “Next” then “Create.”
- Follow the step-by-step instructions to finish setting up the profile. You can choose both the password and security questions.
- To prevent your child from making unauthorized purchases, enable the “Ask to Buy” mode. You’ll get a notification if they try to buy something from the App Store, iTunes Store, or Apple Books.
- Finally, a new window will appear containing the “Terms and Conditions.” Tap “Agree” after reading.
How to Invite Family Members to Apple Music on an Android?
Apple Music is also available for Android devices. You can download the app from Google Play Store and set up an account. Here’s how to do it:
- Go to the Google Play Store. Type “Apple Music” in the search bar at the top of the screen. Select the “Install” button under the app.
- Tap the Apple Music icon to launch the app.
- If you’re a first-time user, a welcoming message will appear. Tap to continue.
- Select a subscription plan from the list of options. Sign in by tapping on “Use Existing Apple ID” and entering the digits.
- Choose a payment method and verify the billing information.
- Select “Join Apple Music.”
Once you sign up for a family subscription, you can start adding people. Here’s how to invite family members to Apple Music on an Android:
- Tap on the Apple Music icon to open the app.
- Tap the three vertical dots in the top-left corner to open the options menu.
- At the top of the screen, tap on your profile picture or username.
- Select “Membership Settings” from the “Account Settings” list. Then go to “Manage Membership.”
- Click on the family subscription. Select “Family Setup” from the list of options.
- Complete the step-by-step instructions to invite a family member.
How to Invite Family Members to Apple Music on a Mac?
You can manage your subscription plan via the Apple Menu. Here’s how to invite family members to Apple Music on a Mac:
- Open the Apple Menu. Select “System Preferences” from the control panel.
- Click on “Family Sharing.”
- To initiate the step-by-step walk-through, select “Add Family Member.”
- Make sure not to skip any steps.
If your laptop is running an older version of macOS (e.g., Mojave), you’ll have to use your iCloud account. Here’s how to do it:
- Navigate to the Apple Menu in the upper-left corner of the screen.
- Open “System Preferences” and select “iCloud.”
- Click on “Manage Family” and then the “+Add Member” button.
- Follow the instructions to complete the process.
Much like with an iOS device, you can set up your child’s Apple ID on a Mac. Here’s how to do it:
- Open the Apple Menu in the top-left corner. Go to System Preferences > Family Sharing.
- Select the “Add Family Member” option. For older versions of macOS, you have to open iCloud first. Then go to “Manage Family” and click the “+ Add” button.
- From the list of options, choose “Create an Apple ID.” Click “Continue.”
- Set the month, date, and year to your child’s birthday. Be sure not to make a mistake – you can’t change the date later.
- Type in your child’s name, password, and create their Apple ID username. Click “Next” when you’re done.
- Fill in the information regarding your chosen payment plan. Click “Agree.”
- A new window will appear instructing you to set up the account. Come up with a memorable password and security questions and fill in the info.
- Wait for the email confirmation to make sure you’ve successfully created the Apple ID.
How to Invite Family Members to Apple Music on a Windows PC?
Unfortunately, you can’t use Family Sharing on a Windows PC. The operating system required for a family subscription plan is the OS x Yosemite (and above).
However, if someone sends you an invitation, you can try opening it in the iCloud for Windows app. You might be able to join pre-existing groups that way. Sadly, there’s no way to create a Family Sharing group on a Windows PC.
How Many Different Family Members Can I Add to Apple Music?
There’s a limit to how many different family members you can add to Apple Music. Only six people – or, more specifically, six separate Apple ID profiles – can share the same subscription plan.
Each member has to have their own Apple ID. Parents can set up an account for their kids if they’re under the age of 13.
However, that’s not the only way to add them to the Family Sharing group. If they happen to have a Game Center account, you can use that instead. Here’s how to add your child to Apple Music without an Apple ID:
1. Open “Settings” and tap on your name. If you’re on your Mac, go to Apple Menu > System Preferences.
2. Select “Family Sharing” then “Add Family Member.” For Mac users, click the “+ Add” button.
3. Type your child’s username from Game Center.
4. Complete the steps from the onscreen instructions.
Can I Invite Friends to My Apple Music Family Membership?
You can invite anyone who meets at least one of the following requirements:
• Has a valid Apple ID.
• Has an iCloud account.
• Has a newer generation iOS device. That means an iPhone or iPad running on iOS 8 and above.
• Has a computer with the OS x Yosemite. Later versions are also acceptable.
• Has a family subscription to Apple Music?
If your friend is signed up for a different subscription, they can switch to a Family Membership. Here’s how to do it on your iOS device:
1. Open the Apple Music app and go to “Settings.”
2. Select your name to open an options menu. Tap “Subscriptions.”
3. Choose “Family Subscription” from the list of available subscription plans.
4. To complete the process, tap “Purchase.”
It’s also possible to change the Apple Music subscription by using a Mac. Here’s how to do it:
1. Launch the App Store app on your desktop.
2. Navigate to your profile picture at the bottom-left corner of the screen. If you’re not signed in to your account, do it now.
3. Select “View Information” at the top of the screen.
4. A new window will open. Scroll to the “Subscriptions” section and click “Manage.”
5. Find your current subscription plan and click the “Edit” button next to it.
6. Select the family subscription option.
With Apple Music, the entire family can join in the fun. You can use the same subscription plan with as many as six different Apple IDs.
Not even kids have to be left out from the Family Sharing group. Simply set an Apple ID account in their stead or invite them to join via Game Center.
Are you signed up for a Family Membership? Do you prefer not to share your account? Comment below and share your experience with Apple Music.