How To Perform an Advanced Search on Amazon
Using Amazon to buy the things you want has become commonplace. Type in what you’re looking for, tap or click, and within milliseconds you have a long list of options.
However, there’s a better way to search on Amazon, especially when you enter specific parameters. Sometimes Amazon’s search engine gives you too many options, most of which aren’t what you want. Fortunately, you can perform an advanced search and get better results.
In this article, we’ll cover how to get the search results you want by using advanced search options. What’s more, these options can be used on any device you use to shop on Amazon.
How to Perform an Advanced Search on Amazon
An advanced search is the best way to narrow down the results on Amazon. By providing more information, the results of your search will be more filtered and refined. To learn how to perform a more detailed Amazon search, follow the steps below for a PC or Mac:
- Log in to your Amazon account by going to Amazon.com using a web browser.
- In the window at the top of the screen, type in what you’re looking for. Use a phrase or keywords.
- A drop-down menu will appear. Make your selection by scrolling down and selecting.
- On the left side of the screen, you’ll be given more options to refine your search. Here you can include a more detailed search with further options.
- Refine your search by using the left-side menu. Choose what you are looking for.
To search using an Android or iPhone, follow the steps below:
- Open the Amazon app on your smartphone or go to Amazon.com using a browser.
- Type keywords or a phrase representing what you’re looking for in the search window at the top of the screen.
- From the drop-down menu, further refine your search.
- Tap “filters.” It’s located on the upper-right side of the screen.
- Here you’ll be given a list of different filtering options to further refine your search. The options you’ll see will depend on exactly what you’re looking for.
- Once you’ve made all of your selections, tap the “Show results” button located on the lower right side of your screen.
To search with an iPad, follow these instructions:
- Open the Amazon app or go to Amazon.com using a browser.
- Using the search window at the top of the screen, type in keywords or a phrase describing what you’re looking for.
- A drop-down menu will appear. Scroll down to further refine your search.
- In the upper-right side of the screen, locate and select “Filters.”
- You’ll now have different options to further refine your search. These options will vary depending on the category.
- Make your selections and then press the “Show results” button on the lower right side of your screen.
With a desktop computer, iPad, or smartphone, you can add more search parameters for more accurate search results. This is a great way to save time by eliminating items you aren’t interested in. The more detailed your search parameters, the better the chance you have of easily locating exactly what you’re looking to purchase.
Are Amazon search terms case sensitive?
No. The keywords or phrases you use to search for items on Amazon are not case sensitive.
What are the best search terms to use and is there a more efficient way to use them?
It’s best to be as descriptive as possible so you’ll get the search results you want without unnecessary listings. There’s no need to use commas between search terms. A single space between words will suffice and allows you more characters to use in your search. Also, you don’t need to include plural forms of keywords. The Amazon search engine takes into account the singular and plural versions of a word. Don’t use an exclamation point in your search. Doing so will result in products being listed that only match all of your search terms.
What type of search parameters can I use?
By using the left side menu, there are several different search parameters that you can choose from. Which options you’ll have depends on which category you’re searching in. For instance, if you’re looking to purchase a wireless speaker, you can refine your search by selecting options such as “Price,” “Brand,” or “Connectivity Type.” For a software purchase, you’ll have options such as “Operating System” and “Format.” Each category will have specific options to narrow down the search.
The best way to search for an item on Amazon is to be as descriptive as possible. Try using keywords or phrases like “science fiction books” rather than “books.” You can further refine your search by using the menu on the left side of the screen.
Is there a way to eliminate certain keywords while doing an Amazon search?
Yes, there is. By placing a hyphen before a word, your Amazon search will eliminate items that contain that word. If you’re looking to buy a cookbook, but aren’t interested in the paperback versions, you would search for “cookbook, -paperback.” You’ll be provided with a list of cookbooks that aren’t paperbacks. Using hyphens to eliminate items from your search helps refine the process.
Save Time With Amazon Advanced Search Options
You can significantly reduce your Amazon search time by refining the process. By utilizing the left-side menu, you’ll narrow down the search results and spend less time scrolling to find what you’re looking for. If you keep getting results with items you aren’t interested in, you can remove keywords from a search by placing a hyphen before that word.
Have you ever performed an advanced search on Amazon? Did you use the methods outlined in this article? Let us know in the comments section below.