How to Remove Search Engines From Chrome
Have you ever wanted to remove unused search engines from Chrome? Fortunately, you don’t need to be an IT master to do so. This can be accomplished with a few quick taps or mouse clicks. And while removing these search engines, you can also change which one is your default.
If removing search engines from Chrome is what you want to do, you’ve come to the right place. In this article, we’ll discuss how to do remove them using several different devices. Things are a bit different for Androids and iPhones, and we’ll cover that too.
How to Remove Search Engines From Chrome on an Android Device
Unlike the Chrome browser on a Mac or a Windows PC, you won’t be able to remove different search engines on your Android device. The way search engines work on smartphones is a bit different than for computers. You can, however, change the default search engine. To do this, follow the steps below.
- On your Android device, launch the Chrome app.
- Tap the “three dots” icon.
- Scroll down and select “Settings.”
- Click “Search engine.”
- The default setting is Google. You’ll see a list of alternative search engines. Make your selection by tapping on it.
You’ve now changed your default browser on Chrome. If at any time you want to change your default browser again, simply follow the steps outlined above.
How to Remove Search Engines From Chrome on a Mac
Removing search engines from Chrome on a Mac is a relatively straightforward process. You’ll need to take a look at your Chrome settings and make a few quick adjustments. To learn how to do so, follow the instructions below.
- Launch a Chrome browser window on your Mac.
- In the upper-right corner of the screen, tap on the “three-dots” icon.
- Scroll down and select “Settings.”
- From the side menu on the left, click on “Search engine.”
- Located in the upper-center part of the page, select “Manage search engines and site search.”
- Scroll down and locate “Search engines.” You’ll see a list of search engines.
- Locate the search engine or engines you want to remove. Tap on the “three dots” icon to their right.
- From the drop-down menu, select “Delete.”
That’s all there is to it. You’ve now removed any unwanted search engines from Chrome.
How to Remove Search Engines From Chrome on an iPhone
You’ll be unable to remove search engines from Chrome on your iPhone. Unlike the methods used on a Mac or a Windows PC, on an iPhone, you’ll only have the option of changing the default search engine. Search engines on smartphones work a bit differently than how they are handled on computers. If you’d like to do this, follow these steps.
- From your iPhone, launch the Chrome app.
- In the lower-right corner, click the “three dots” icon.
- Select “Settings.”
- Locate and press “Search engine.”
- You’ll see a list of different search engines. Make your selection and close the window.
You’ve now changed your default browser on an iPhone. You can go back and change Chrome’s default browser at any time.
How to Remove Search Engines From Chrome on a Windows PC
You can remove unwanted search engines from a Windows PC by utilizing your Chrome settings. The process is straightforward, and doesn’t require much time or effort. To do this, follow the steps below.
- Open a Chrome browser window on your Windows PC.
- Click on the “three dots” icon located in the upper-right corner of the screen.
- Scroll down, locate, and select “Settings.”
- Find “Search Engine” and click it.
- From the upper-center portion of the screen, find and choose “Manage search engines and site search.”
- Scroll down until you see “Search engines.” Just under this will be a list of loaded search engines.
- Find the search engine or engines you no longer want. Click the “3 dots” icon just to the right side of each one.
- From the drop-down menu, choose “Delete.”
There’s nothing more to do. You’ve now successfully removed any unneeded search engines from Chrome.
Are there other ways to use Chrome as a search engine?
Yes. If Google is your default search engine, you don’t have to use Google’s web page to perform a search. You can use the browser’s address window to search the web. Simply type in what you’re searching for and hit the enter key. You’re not limited to only using one word. You can type in multiple words or phrases, and it’s not necessary to use commas to separate the words. You’ll be given Google’s search results in the window.
Can I use other search engines in the Chrome address bar other than Google?
Yes, you can use other search engines in Chrome’s address bar. Simply access Chrome’s settings and from the Search Engine section, select one from the dropdown menu.
Can I use Chrome to set up a custom search engine?
Yes, you can set up custom searches with Chrome. Follow the steps below to do so.
1. Open a Chrome browser window.
2. From the top right, click the “3 dots” icon and scroll down to “Settings.”
3. From the left-side menu, select “Search engine” and then “Manage search engines and site search.”
4. Next to “Site search,” tap “Add.”
5. Fill in the fields for “Search engine name,” “Shortcut,” and the new search “URL.”
6. Click “Add.”
• For a search engine name, simply give it a name corresponding to the search.
• For a shortcut, enter the keystrokes you’ll use to enable this custom search.
• For a URL, you’ll need to enter the website’s URL, but add “%” in place of the query.
This last step is a bit complicated. You can find more detailed information on the Chrome website.
I saw DuckDuckGo as a search engine choice on my mobile device. How is it different from other search engines?
The main selling point of DuckDuckGo as a search engine is that all of your searches are completely anonymous. This search engine never collects personal data and doesn’t track IP addresses, so it has no personal data available for sale. If internet privacy is a concern of yours, then DuckDuckGo might be a good option for you as a search engine.
It’s quite similar to all of the popular search engines available and will provide you with quality search results.
Can I change the Chrome default search engine on my Mac or Windows PC?
Yes, you have the ability to switch default search engines. The process is similar to how you would remove search engines. To do so, follow these steps.
1. Open Chrome’s settings and select “Search engine.”
2. Locate the list of available search engines, and press the “3 dots” icon to the right of the one you want as the default.
3. Choose “Make default.”
You can at any time go back and select a different search engine as the default.
Get Rid of Unwanted Chrome Search Engines
By utilizing Chrome’s settings on your device, you can eliminate the search engines you aren’t using. It’s not rocket science, and doesn’t require any special knowledge or skill. Although you can’t remove search engines on an Android device or iPhone, you can change the one that’s the default.
Have you removed search engines from Chrome? Did you use the same methods we discussed in this article? Let us know in the comments section below.