How to Block Texts From Email Addresses
Unfortunately, text messages from strange email addresses you’ve never interacted with have become pretty common. Scammers rely heavily on sending text messages from email addresses to bypass cell carrier charges for outbound messages.
Luckily, there are a few things you can try to block text messages from scam email senders. For example, you can create a temporary contact entry for them, then block that contact.
If you want to know exactly how this is done, this article will cover the instructions on how to block texts from email addresses for various devices. In addition, our FAQs include details of third-party apps and other ways to block unwanted calls and texts automatically.
How to Block Text Messages From Email Address on an Android Device
To prevent an email address from sending text messages to your Android device, you’ll first need to create a contact entry for it:
- Open the “Messages” app.
- Find the text message, then long-press it.
- At the top, choose “Add Contact.”
- Tap “Add Contact” again to confirm.
- Then select “Create new contact.”
- Enter a name for the contact in the “Name” text field.
To block the contact:
- Open the “Phone” app.
- Go to the “Contacts” tab.
- Find the contact entry created previously, then tap on the name.
- At the top right, tap the three-dotted menu icon.
- From the pull-down menu, select “Block numbers.”
- Now confirm you want to block that contact by choosing “Block.”
How to Block Text Messages From Email Address on an iPhone
To stop receiving text messages to your iPhone from an email address, you’ll first need to create a contact entry for it:
- Open “Messages.”
- Find then tap on the text message.
- At the top, tap on the right-pointing chevron next to sender details.
- Click “Info,” then enter a name for the contact.
- Tap “Done” to save.
Then to block the new contact:
- Open the “Settings” app.
- Select “Messages” then “Blocked” or “Blocked Contacts.”
- At the bottom, select “Add new…”
- Find and tap the contact. It will be added instantly to your blocked list.
How to Block Text Messages From Email Address With Verizon
To demonstrate how to block a text message from an email address on your Verizon number, you can log into your Verizon account and block all emails from texting your phone number. Here’s what to do:
- Click on this link to go to the Verizon Spam Block page. Then, log into your account.
- Click on Blocked Services.
- Select the Emails & Domains option.
- Enter the email or domain you’d like to block. Verizon lets users block up to 15 individual domains.
- Click the option to Block all text messages sent from email.
Now, you won’t receive any more texts from email addresses. You can add a specific domain (@google.com, for example). But, often, scammers use several different domains, so it’s best to block them all unless you need email-to-text.
How to Block Text Messages From Email Address With AT&T
If you prefer to call AT&T to have all email-to-text options blocked, you can. Dial 611 from your AT&T cell phone and select the option for Customer Care.
But, if you prefer to do everything online, AT&T allows you to block text messages to your AT&T number from people or spambots’ email addresses. Here’s how to set this up using their portal:
- Navigate to AT&T Messages, then sign up for a messaging account.
- Click on “Register Now,” then create a password. When you’re done, you’ll receive a registration code by text.
- Log in to your account after you have registered it at mymessages.wireless.att.com and entered your registration code.
- The following screen will display some “Blocking Options.” Check the appropriate checkboxes for “Block all text messages sent to you as email” and “Block all multimedia messages sent to you as email.”
Here are the answers to more questions about blocking spammers on your smartphone.
How do I report a spam text message?
To report a conversation as spam, block the sender, then move to your Spam folder via an Android device:
1. Open “Messages.”
2. Tap and long-press the conversation you wish to report.
3. Tap “Block,” “Report spam,” then “OK.”
Alternatively, you can open the conversation, then report it as spam by:
1. Tapping on the three-dotted “More” menu icon.
2. Tap on “Details,” “Block and report spam,” “Report spam,” then “OK.”
The contact will be reported as spam, then the message will be sent to your “Spam and blocked” folder. You can also report spam without blocking the contact.
To report spam or junk message in the iMessage app on iPhone:
You can report any Messages that look like junk or spam. If you receive a text message from someone who is not saved to your Contacts, there will be a “Report Junk” link beneath the message:
1. Tap on “Report Junk.”
2. Tap on “Delete” and “Report Junk.”
As well as removing the message from your device, doing so will deliver the sender’s information to Apple. However, doing this will not prevent the same sender from sending other messages to you. You’ll need to block the contact.
Can I block emails to text on T-Mobile?
Unfortunately, it seems T-Mobile has yet to develop a solution to spam emails sent to texts. While T-Mobile users can call customer service for more assistance, it seems at the time of writing, the best way to stop these communications is by following the device-specific instructions at the top of this article.
Stop Unwanted Text Messages
Receiving unwanted text messages from unknown senders is like receiving junk mail. It can cause annoying clutter, and you’re usually not interested in what they’re offering.
Luckily, several options are available to prevent unwanted text messages, including blocking individual senders or installing third-party apps to take care of the problem automatically.
What method or methods do you use to block unwanted text messages? Have you seen a reduction in the number of unwanted messages you receive? Let us know in the comments section below.