How To Block YouTube on an iPad
YouTube is full of free content that can keep users entertained for days. If you want to reduce screen time or prevent your child from spending too much time on their iPad, you may have considered blocking YouTube. We’ll discuss several ways you can do so on the Safari and Chrome browsers and your router to help you take control of your digital life.
Keep reading to learn more.
Blocking YouTube in Safari on an iPad
One of the simplest ways to block the YouTube website on your iPad is through Screen Time.
Before blocking sites with Screen Time, make sure you’ve enabled the feature.
- Launch “Settings” and select “Screen Time.”
- Press the “Turn on Screen Time” option.
- Read the instructions from the pop-up window and click on “Continue” when you’re ready to move on.
- If you’re enabling this feature on your child’s iPad, choose “This is My Child’s iPad.”
Here’s what you need to do to block the YouTube website:
- Launch “Settings” and press the “Screen Time” option.
- Click “Content & Privacy Restrictions” and make sure it’s enabled.
- Select “Content Restrictions” and choose “Web Content.”
- Tap the “Limit Adult Websites” option to activate it and block such sites.
- YouTube isn’t an adult site, so navigate to the “Never Allow” section and press “Add Website.”
- Paste https://www.youtube.com in the appropriate field and exit the app.
Your iPad will automatically save and implement these changes.
How To Block YouTube in Chrome on an iPad
As the name suggests, the Screen Time app helps iPad users limit their screen time. It’s a handy tool when you notice all you do in your free time is watch YouTube videos.
Before restricting YouTube access on your iPad, check whether you’ve activated the Screen Time feature.
- Bring up “Settings” and tap “Screen Time.”
- Click on “Turn on Screen Time.”
- Go through the instructions and press the “Continue” button.
- When enabling Screen Time on your child’s device, pick “This is My Child’s iPad.”
Follow the steps below to block the YouTube website on Chrome using this app:
- Head to “Settings” and select “Screen Time” from the list of options.
- Press “Content & Privacy Restrictions” and check whether it’s enabled.
- Click on “Content Restrictions” and pick the “Web Content” option.
- Pick “Limit Adult Websites” if you want to block such sites.
- Since YouTube isn’t an adult site, find the “Never Allow” section and tap “Add Website.”
- Paste https://www.youtube.com in the new window and close the “Settings” app.
Your iPad will automatically apply the changes.
How To Block YouTube on an iPad via a Router
Removing the app from your network might be the solution if your children find ways to access YouTube despite your efforts to block the platform. It’s a quick and easy method; all you need is your router’s IP address. If you’re unsure where to find it, the following steps will walk you through the process:
- Power on your computer and press the “Start” button from your desktop.
- Tap “Settings” and choose the “Network & Internet” option.
- Select “View Your Network Properties” and navigate to “Default Gateway.”
The IP address should be displayed next to “Default Gateway.”
Now that you’ve retrieved this information, it’s time to block YouTube from your administrator settings. Follow the below instructions to do so.
- Open your preferred web browser on your computer and type your router’s IP address.
- Type your admin username and password to view the router settings.
- Scan the menu options and look for entries like “Blocked Websites” and “URL Filters.”
- Select the appropriate option and paste www.youtube.com into the list of restricted addresses.
While this method stops anyone using your network from accessing YouTube, tech-savvy children might find ways to get around this roadblock. In such cases, you may need some additional ways to cut off YouTube access.
Additional Ways to Block YouTube
Besides blocking YouTube on your browsers and router, you can try some of the methods below to spend less time on the platform.
Block the YouTube App With Screen Time
You’ve restricted browser access, but what about the app? When you’re craving entertaining videos, nothing will stop you from tapping the icon and using the YouTube app. Well, nothing except for Screen Time. In addition to blocking websites, Screen Time allows users to blacklist apps. After enabling the feature, the YouTube app on your iPad won’t work.
- Launch “Settings” from the home screen and select “Screen Time.”
- Press “Content & Privacy Restrictions.”
- Choose “Content & Privacy Restrictions” again and pick “Content Restrictions.”
- Click on “Apps” and adjust the age limit to 12+ or lower.
YouTube has a default age rating of 17+, so Screen Time will automatically flag and block it.
If you’ve installed the app on your iPad beforehand, its icon will disappear from the home screen.
When you try to get YouTube from the Apple App Store, the restrictions will prevent you from downloading and installing it.
While these restrictions apply to YouTube, they may also affect other apps with a rating higher than 12+. So, before setting restrictions, ensure you have access to apps you need for work or school.
When you decide it’s time to get back to the YouTube app, you can disable Screen Time by following the steps below:
- Open “Settings” and tap the “Screen Time” option.
- Select “Content & Privacy Restrictions.”
- Press “Content & Privacy Restrictions” again and click on “Content Restrictions.”
- Change the age limit to 17+ or tap “Allow All Apps.”
The YouTube icon will now reappear on your iPad’s home screen.
Delete the App
If all else fails and your child always manages to get back onto YouTube, deleting the app might be the way to go. You can prevent download attempts to ensure they’re not using the app when you’re not around.
- Unlock the home screen on your child’s iPad.
- Tap and hold the YouTube icon and press the “Remove App” option.
- Click on “Delete App” and select “Delete.”
- Head to “Settings” and choose “Screen Time.”
- Make sure you’ve enabled the “Content & Privacy Restrictions” option.
- Press ” iTunes & App Store Purchases.”
- Select “Installing Apps” and tap the “Don’t Allow” button.
The App Store should disappear from your child’s iPad. So, they won’t be able to download and install new apps, including YouTube.
When you want to download a game or an education app on their device, here’s how you can disable App Store restrictions:
- Open “Settings” and tap “Screen Time.”
- Click “iTunes & App Store Purchases ” and choose “Installing Apps.”
- Select “Allow.”
Set a Time Limit
Setting a time limit restricts your watch time but allows you to still use the app without going overboard. Here’s what you need to do:
- Launch “Settings” and press “Screen Time.”
- Tap “App Limits” and select the “Add Limit” option.
- If you want to apply the time limit to all entertainment apps, select the “Entertainment” box. Otherwise, click on “Entertainment” and tap “YouTube.”
- Press the “Next” button and punch in your desired time limit.
- Pick “Customize Days” to modify your watch time on certain weekdays.
- Select “Add.”
You can use the app, but once you reach the set limit, your iPad will lock the app. You’ll need to wait for the next scheduled watch time to use it.
Deleting the watch time limit is relatively straightforward.
- Head to “Settings” and choose “Screen Time.”
- Press “App Limits” and click on “Add Limits.”
- Select “Entertainment” and tap the “YouTube” option.
- Hit “Delete Limit.”
Limit Distractions in Just a Few Clicks
While YouTube is one of the most popular and fun online platforms, it can quickly become a distraction. Whether you want to go on a digital detox or prevent your child from spending too much time indoors, blocking YouTube could be a good idea. Best of all, you don’t have to download any sophisticated software to achieve this. All you need to do is adjust your iPad’s settings, and you’ll block both the app and the site.
Have you tried to block YouTube on your iPad before? Which of the above methods did you use? Let us know in the comments section below.