How to Change the Resolution on HBO Max
HBO Max is a streaming platform that gathers all your favorite HBO content in one place. With a monthly subscription (or if HBO is already part of your cable package), you can enjoy a wide range of blockbuster movies and premium TV shows available on-demand, including some exclusives only found on the platform. This relatively new addition to the HBO family is growing in popularity among subscribers.
However, the streaming service is no stranger to bugs and glitches, especially when it comes to image quality. While it’s impossible to manually change the resolution, there are ways to fix it, even a little bit. This article will go over the different methods you can turn to for a better streaming experience.
Changing the Resolution for HBO Max
As of now, there’s no direct way to change the resolution while streaming on HBO Max. Instead, the platform automatically adjusts the streaming quality in keeping with several factors, mainly your internet connection and the device’s screen resolution setting.
In addition, movies and TV shows are streamed following the official agreement between HBO Max and the distributor. Therefore, the resolution can vary between 720p to Ultra HD, depending on the content, and you’re unable to change it.
Since HBO Max heavily relies on your device capabilities and network speed, it’s not uncommon to run into issues with the video quality. It’s especially true for series premiers when the traffic can be at its highest. In addition, many consumers have complained about low buffering, blurry images, app glitches, and similar inconveniences.
Of course, these issues aren’t limited to HBO series debuts. Lackluster resolution and slow streaming speed can occur at any time. While having trouble discerning what’s on your screen can be annoying, there are a few things you can try to improve image quality. It mostly boils down to tweaking your device settings and boosting the network speed.
If video playback on the HBO Max website is lackluster, try doing the following:
- First, sign out of your HBO Max account.
- Next, clear your browser’s cache. The steps can vary depending on the browser, but the process is more or less similar for most popular browsers. We’re going to use Chrome as a reference.
- Tap the three vertical dots in the top-right corner.
- Select “History” from the drop-down panel. Next, click “Clear Browsing Data.”
- If you want to delete all data, click “All Time” at the top of the page. If not, set the preferred range.
- Ensure the boxes next to “Cached Images and Files” and “Cookies and Site Data” are checked.
- To complete the process, hit “Clear Data.”
If you’re still having trouble streaming, you can also try rebooting your router. Obstructions in your home network connection can sometimes result in poor resolution. Here’s what to do:
- Close all apps, including the ones running in the background. Turn off your computer.
- Unplug your router and let it cool for a few minutes. If you have an Eero mesh Wi-Fi system, you need to disconnect it as well.
- Reconnect the router and restart your computer.
If you’re experiencing image problems when streaming with the HBO Max app, don’t worry. Most of the time, it’s most likely your internet connection. The minimum download connection required for a decent resolution is 5 Mbps.
Depending on your connection speed, the HBO Max app will adjust the resolution to different settings. As a result, you can get a poor-quality image if your network is a bit lackluster. For that reason, it’s not a bad idea to check your internet speed:
- Open your browser and run a broadband speed test. Just type “speed test” in the search engine and click on the top result.
- If there’s a connection issue, try rebooting your router.
If that doesn’t work, restart the app and the device from which you’re broadcasting. Also, try switching to a stable connection, if possible. Running an ethernet wire directly from the router to your streaming device might help speed up your network.
What Resolution Does HBO Max Stream In?
As mentioned, HBO Max adapts the video quality automatically to your network capacity and internet connection speed. Luckily, most premium TV shows and popular movies are filmed in high definition and can survive subpar conditions. The streaming service also supports a wide range of HDR resolutions, including HDR10, Dolby Vision, Dolby Atmos, and Dolby Digital Plus.
How Do I Change the Quality on HBO Max?
We’ve already established there’s no way of changing the video quality on HBO Max, at least not manually. If your network capacity is too low or your connection speed varies, it can lower the resolution when streaming. However, you may be able to tweak the resolution setting by doing the following:
1. First, disconnect your network devices from the power source. That includes the modem, router, and other Wi-Fi setups.
2. Re-energize your modem and wait for it to reconnect to the internet.
3. Plug the router into a power source and wait for it to reconnect.
4. Check if the problem has been fixed by turning on your streaming device.
Can You Watch HBO Max in 4K?
With four times the number of pixels as HD, 4K, and Ultra HD are currently the maximum resolutions that most Smart TV screens can handle. Originally, the streaming service didn’t include HDR support but has since been upgraded.
Last year, HBO Max released Zack Snyder’s “Wonder Woman 1984” in 4k format. Not only was the film streamed in basic HDR color, but also the Dolby Vision HDR format. The sound settings were optimized as well, with the option to listen in Dolby Atmos audio format.
The DC blockbuster was the only 4k content available at first. However, HBO has since released several other titles in this format, including “Lord of the Rings.” You can check out the full list of movies on this website.
As of now, 4K support is limited to the following streaming devices:
• 4K Apple TV
• 4k Fire TV Stick from Amazon
• Fire TV Cube from Amazon
• Smart TVs with 4K Fire TV
• AT&T TV Chromecast Ultra
• Android TV
Unfortunately, 4K HDR support isn’t available on PlayStation and Xbox devices. However, additional platforms will be introduced throughout the coming year.
A Story Without Resolution
While HBO Max is a great platform for avid TV watchers, it has a few minor setbacks. The streaming service is particularly known to have issues with image quality.
It’s currently impossible to manually change the resolution setting. However, you can try your best to boost your network speed and device settings for a more pleasant streaming experience. In addition, the majority of content is in HD or HDR format, so buying a new router might do the trick.
Have you experienced these issues with HBO Max? Is there a different streaming service you prefer? Feel free to discuss your favorite HBO shows in the comments below.
Disclaimer: Some pages on this site may include an affiliate link. This does not effect our editorial in any way.
Comments are closed.