How to Check if a Gmail Sent Email Has Been Opened
There are several ways to find out if a person has opened your Gmail message. It’s usually enough to wait a while for a response and resend the email if it hasn’t reached them. However, some emails are important, and you may need to know if it has been read. In this article, you’ll discover how to check if an email sent through Gmail has been opened.
How to Use Gmail’s Built-In Read Receipt
A free Gmail account does not have the read receipt option. Only Google Workspace administrator accounts have this option. These accounts are often used by schools or work places and not everyone possesses them. It takes two steps to get a Google Workspace Gmail read receipt. First, you must create a Gmail account in your Google Workspace.
For read receipts in Gmail to be enabled for accounts within a company, organization or school, the administrator must first enable this feature. The steps are as follows:
- Open your Google Workspace admin account.
- Select “Apps.”
- Choose “Google Workspace Core Services” from the drop-down menu.
- Click the Gmail symbol.
- Select “User Settings” from the drop-down menu.
- Make changes to the email read receipts setting. There are three options: block all, allow just between addresses within the company and permitted addresses, or will enable them to be forwarded to any other email address at your discretion.
When you enable the Gmail read receipt setting, you will be able to request a read receipt any time you write a new email from within your email account. Here’s how it’s done:
- Open Gmail and select “Compose.”
- Compose the email.
- Select “More options” in the compose window, which may look like three vertical dots or an arrow.
- Pick “Request a read receipt” from the drop-down menu.
- Click on the “Send” button.
When the receiver reads your email, you’ll receive an email notification from SendGrid. However, as we will demonstrate below, this form of read reception is uncommon and unreliable. It’s still very different than the “seen” feature in apps for mobile phones.
On the iPhone App
The Gmail app for phone devices also allows you to receive read receipts for emails sent using the app. To do so, launch the Gmail app and select the organizational account option from the search bar by touching the account symbol on the search bar. Then follow these steps:
- Click on the “Compose” button in the bottom right corner of the screen.
- In the Compose window, compose your email as you would normally.
- When you’re ready to begin adding read receipts, go to the three-dot menu in the top-right corner of the screen and pick the “Request read receipt” option.
- When you’re finished, click on the “Send” button to send the email to the recipient.
On the Android App
Android Gmail is similar to the iPhone app. So, the steps to request a read receipt are mostly the same.
- In the bottom right-hand corner of the screen, click on the “Compose” button to begin.
- Create your email as you would usually in the Compose box.
- Go to the three-dot menu in the top-right corner of the screen and choose “Request read receipt.”
- When you’re ready, click on the “Send” button to have the email delivered to the intended recipient.
How to Use a Third-Party Service to Check Whether a Gmail Sent Email Has Been Opened
In Gmail, the only reliable way to find out when someone has viewed your email is to use Mailtrack, which is free. The use of a simple plugin allows you to observe who has read your email and when they did so. It is compatible with both free Gmail accounts and Gmail accounts associated with Google Workspace.
Using Mailtrack’s email tracker and incoming monitored indication, everyone can see how many emails have been sent and received.
A simple open notification isn’t all you receive with Mailtrack. It is possible to observe how many times your message was opened, for example. The Monitor Reply tool will alert you if your email hasn’t been opened for more than 24 hours. You may also keep tabs on the frequency and timing of visits to email links included within messages.
If you have Gmail, you may use Mailtrack by simply installing a browser extension. To do so, follow these steps:
- Find Mailtrack on the Chrome web store.
- Click “Add to Chrome.”
- Accept the permission and select “Connect with Gmail.”
Gmail should be automatically updated after this. Close your browser and open it again if you can’t see Mailtrack in your email account.
To set up the Mailtrack Gmail add-on for your Android or iOS smartphone, simply follow these steps:
- You may use Chrome on a desktop computer or a mobile device to access the Mailtrack Marketplace add-on website.
- Tap “Install,” then click the “Continue” button.
- To use Mailtrack, you must first select an email account.
- Accept the permissions by clicking “Allow.”
- If the installation was successful, you will receive a notification stating such.
- It’s time to restart your phone’s Gmail app. To do so, you must close the app and then reopen it. It’s best to turn off your phone and then start the Gmail app again if you’re unsure how to stop it entirely.
A couple of other apps will allow you to know if a Gmail-sent email has been opened.
Boomerang – This tool allows you to see if your Gmail message has been opened. It will also tell you how many times your email has been opened and which links have been visited. If you sign up for the free plan, you’ll get 10 message credits every month. Unlimited message credits, an inbox pause, and professional assistance are just some of the extras available with the pricier plans.
Glassmass – As a part of this email marketing tool, you’ll be able to schedule messages and get information on how many people opened and clicked on your messages. The ordinary plan costs $12.95 a month, while the premium plan costs $19.95 a month for a single user. Plans for teams are also available, with rates ranging according to the number of people they have.
Know if You’ve Reached Someone via Your Email
Use Gmail read receipts selectively, as they are an excellent method to ensure that your essential emails are being viewed. You may, however, utilize Gmail more efficiently with third-party apps.
Another way to optimize your Gmail account is to organize your inbox by mass forwarding your emails to other people (or to a different email account you own). This way, it will also be easier and faster to request read receipts for multiple emails or track them.