How To Convert a VOB File to MP4
Converting a VOB file to MP4 is your only option if you’d like to enjoy your favorite DVDs on your phone. Both Android and iOS devices support this versatile format. You can convert the file online or through a desktop app. In this article, we’ll take a look at the best online and desktop options.
Online Solutions to Convert VOB Files to MP4
If you’re looking for a fast, one-time solution and are reluctant to download and install programs on your computer, you can convert your VOB file online. Most of the sites are free to use, though some require registration. Have in mind that conversion sites usually have file size limitations. Let’s examine the best conversion sites.
Online Video Converter is a popular online format converter. You can use it to convert a huge range of video and audio files. It is safe, reliable, and free. Here’s how to convert your VOB files into MP4 using Online Video Converter:
- Open your browser and navigate to Online Converter’s home page.
- Select MP4 from the dropdown menu in the Video Converter section.
- This will take you to the Convert video to MP4 section of the site, click Choose Files or drag & drop to upload your file.
- Set the parameters in the Optional settings section to your preference. You can set the size of the output file, screen size, bitrate, audio quality, video codec, and more. If you want to save your settings for future conversions, you will have to log in.
- Enter the URL of the video you want to convert or browse your computer for the VOB file. Alternatively, you can convert a file from Dropbox or Google Drive.
- Click the Start conversion button.
- Once the conversion is over, Online Converter will redirect you to the page from which you can download the newly created MP4 video.
Just like Online Converter, Zamzar is a free online conversion site. You can also use this site to manage files, though you’d have to be logged in for that. Let’s see how to convert a VOB file to MP4 using Zamzar.
- Launch your browser and go to Zamzar’s home page.
- Now, click the Add Files… button in the Step 1 section and browse for the file you’d like to convert or drag & drop it.
- Next, click on Convert To and select mp4 from the dropdown menu.
- Finally, click on the Convert Now button in the Step 3 section. Optionally, you can tick the box labeled Email when done? to receive the email with the download link when the conversion is done.
Desktop Solutions to Convert VOB Files to MP4
If you’ve got a large VOB file to convert or you want more options, desktop apps are the way to go. In this section, we’ll examine the best desktop apps to convert a VOB file into MP4.
Handbrake is a free desktop tool that supports countless video formats, including VOB and MP4, and is available for Windows, Mac OS, and Linux. It is important to note that you have to deal with ads when downloading the free version, also, there have been complaints about Handbrake marking files with a unique signature. It can convert files one by one and in batches. To convert a VOB file into MP4 using Handbrake, do the following:
- Download and install Handbrake on your computer.
- Once the setup finishes, insert a DVD disk into your computer’s DVD-ROM. If the file is located on your hard drive, skip to the next step.
- Launch Handbrake.
- Click the DVD icon below the File section of the Main Menu. Alternatively, you can click the Open Source button in the top-left corner and search for the VOB file that way.
- If you clicked the DVD icon, you will get to choose between batch (folder) conversion and single file conversion. Choose File and find the VOB file you’d like to convert.
- Next, you will see the screen with output settings, tailor them to your preference.
- When you’re done, click the Browse button and pick the destination folder. Don’t forget to name the output file.
- Click Start Encode to begin the conversion.
Freemake Video Converter
Freemake Video Converter is a free conversion tool that supports more than 500 file types. It is simple and easy to use. Here’s how to convert a VOB file to MP4 with Freemake Video Converter:
- Download and install Freemake Video Converter on your computer.
- Launch the app and then click File.
- Browse for the VOB file. If it is in the Video_TS folder, you should add it through the +DVD option.
- Next, pick the to MP4 option.
- After that, adjust the output file settings.
- When you’re done, select the output destination and name the output file.
- Finally, click Convert.
VLC is an open source multimedia player that can also convert files, such as audio and video. Let’s cover how to convert a .vob file to mp4.
- Open VLC media player and click on Media > Convert/Save, you can also type Ctrl + R.
- Next, click on +Add and select your file.
- Now, select Convert / Save.
- Then, click on the dropdown menu to the right of Profile and select one of the MP4 options.
- Next, click on Browse and choose the destination folder and name the file, you’ll want to change the file’s name or location if you want to keep the original.
- Finally, click on Start.
If you want to convert a small file, you should go with online converters as they’re fast and smooth. If the file you want to convert is large, desktop apps are your best bet. Pick the option that suits you best and enjoy your MP4 files on all your devices.