How to Delete a Telegram Account
Telegram has been on the receiving end of a lot of criticism from security experts from around the world lately. The main point experts are using in turning the heads of consumers away is the discovery that Telegram doesn’t use end-to-end encryption by default.
Are you considering leaving Telegram for the above-mentioned reason or just because more of your friends use some other app? Either way, you’re in the right place. Follow the detailed instructions below and cut ties with the app in no time.
How to Delete a Telegram Account Permanently From a PC
The regular deletion process for Telegram users – which requires a period of app inactivity – can last multiple months. However, for anyone in a hurry, the developers have left an emergency exit. Follow the instructions below to delete your Telegram account over the PC without the long wait.
- Open the account deactivation page.
- Enter your phone number (include the country code) in the text box and click Next.
- Go back to your Telegram app; you should receive a message containing a code.
- Enter the code in the required field on the site.
- Proceed to Delete Account from the Telegram Core section.
- If you want, you can leave a comment on why you’re leaving the app, but it isn’t mandatory. Click Delete My Account. The app will ask if you are sure you want to proceed. Click Yes, and the process is done.
Having finished this step, all your info, conversations, and contacts will be permanently deleted from Telegram’s servers.
How to Delete a Telegram Account Permanently From an iPhone
Mobile device users don’t have the option to delete their Telegram account that quickly. There is a deactivation process that needs to be followed. That means you will have to set a deletion period during which the app will have to go unused on your phone. Your account will then be permanently deleted, along with any data, conversation history, and contacts when the period expires.
Here are the steps to delete your Telegram account from an iPhone:
- Open your Telegram App and proceed to Settings.
- Open Privacy and Security.
- Find the If Away For… option.
- Select an amount of time on the drop-down menu.
Leave your account idle for the specified amount of time, and it will be automatically deleted.
How to Delete a Telegram Account Permanently From an Android Device
The process is pretty much the same for Android users and follows these specific steps:
- Open the Settings by going into the app.
- Open Privacy and Security.
- Select the option If Away For….
- Select the appropriate amount of time.
- Save your changes.
The account will be deleted if left idle for the specified amount of time.
What Are the “Safe” Alternatives?
Secure messaging is not a myth. Modern apps like Viber, WhatsApp, and Signal use end-to-end encryption to hide your data from any third party that might be interested in what you are talking about. However, not all apps have the same level of protection. Some apps are created by non-profit organizations, while others (like WhatsApp) are owned by big corporations (Facebook).
End-to-end encryption means the messages are scrambled into unidentifiable code that only the device that’s receiving the message can unscramble. Even though an app might have it, sometimes it’s something you might have to turn on.
If you’re looking for “safe” alternatives, here’s a list of a few, what we know about how they treat your info, and the services they provide:
- Rated the most encrypted app of 2021
- Free to use
- Uses advanced encryption methods, making your data safe (set to default)
- Working on all major platforms (Android, IOS, Windows, etc.)
- It can send text messages, share (photos, videos, and files), and make video and voice calls
- You can set messages to disappear after a certain period
- The app is owned by a non-profit organization
- It isn’t anonymous; you still need to enter your phone number
- One of the most encrypted apps of 2021
- Default end-to-end encryption
- Owned by a non-profit organization
- Used on all popular platforms
- Have free and paid versions
- The free version includes file sharing, one on one voice/video calls, text messaging, and groups of up to 10 members
- The paid version has an option for encrypted video/voice calls of up to 70 people
- Free to use
- End–to–end encryption on default
- Has a feature to color code how secure your conversation is
- Can be used on all major platforms
- Groups, text messages, sharing (photos, videos, and files), voice/video chat
- Not open-source, so more prone to bugs and is less transparent
- Owned by Rakuten, a large e-commerce company based in Japan
- Group chats don’t have end-to-end encryption
Choose Your Destiny
Now that we have helped you permanently delete your Telegram account, all that is left is for you to choose the app that suits your needs best. If you’re someone that cares about information privacy and protection, consider the options we gave you, and of course, do some research on your own before you decide.
Are you already using another app? Do you have something to add to our list? Has the article succeeded in answering your needs? Drop us a line in the comment section to let us know.