How to Disconnect Phone Number From Discord
When setting up a Discord account, you’re required to link a valid phone number for verification purposes. It acts as an effective anti-spam tool that helps you regain control should you fall victim to hacking. However, some people are reluctant to share their private data with such a vast platform. So is there a way to avoid it?
The short answer is no. Discord doesn’t allow you to disconnect your phone number since it’s a prerequisite for account authentication. You can consider two alternative solutions: either replace the number or delete the entire account. In this article, we’ll show you how to do both with step-by-step instructions and explore a potential workaround.
How to Disconnect a Phone Number From Discord?
The platform automatically deactivates accounts that aren’t linked to a valid phone number. We’ll cover the reasons behind that in more detail, but for now – let’s say it’s programmed to do so.
As mentioned, there are two ways you can work around this. If you’re really set on disconnecting your private number from the platform, you can simply delete your account. That way, all your data will be permanently removed from Discord, and you won’t have to worry about misuse. The other solution is to replace your digits with a different phone number.
Luckily, both methods are pretty straightforward. Keep reading for a step-by-step breakdown.
You can delete your Discord account in a matter of seconds. Even better, you can do it with different devices. Both desktop and mobile apps are compatible with multiple operating systems. The official Android version can be found on Google Play, while Windows users can download the desktop app from the official website. For iOS and macOS devices, go to the App Store.
The interface is more or less identical for all versions, and the same goes for the features. Of course, you don’t have to download Discord to be able to delete your account. You can use the web app instead. However, you choose to do it, follow these steps:
- Launch the app or log in to your account from your preferred browser.
- Find the little gear icon for “Settings.” Click to open the options menu.
- Select “My Account” from the list, then click “Account Removal.”
- Scroll to the bottom of the screen and click “Delete Account.”
Replacing Phone Number
Discord doesn’t require you to connect your personal number to the account per se. You can also link your work phone or a random number you barely use, so long as it’s active.
That being said, if you want to replace the current digits on your account, it’s no trouble at all. Just follow these simple steps:
- Open the Discord app or log in via browser.
- Click on the “Settings” icon shaped like a tiny gear.
- From the drop-down list, select “My Account.”
- Find the field containing your phone number and clear it. Enter the alternate digits.
- Wait a few seconds to get the text message with the verification code. Copy the digits to the clipboard. Sometimes Discord will automatically fill in the code and complete the process.
- Paste the verification code to the corresponding field to replace the old number.
Not only is it a super easy method, but it can come in handy when you’re changing service providers.
How to Transfer Ownership of a Discord Account?
If you’ve settled on permanently deactivating your account, you need to figure out what to do with your servers. It’d be a pity to shut down a thriving forum, not to mention disband a tight-knit community. Luckily, your Discord legacy can live on even after you delete your account. All you have to do is transfer the ownership to a new admin.
The platform allows you to hand over the keys to a user of your choice, as long as they’re part of the server. It can be a friend or an active member of the community. Pick carefully because, from that point on, this person will have full control over the forum. If they’re too casual about their admin responsibilities, they can undo all your hard work.
Once you’ve decided on a trustworthy successor, here’s what you should do:
- Open the server you want to transfer to another admin.
- Click on the Server Name and select “Server Settings” from the options menu.
- Scroll to the “User Management” section and open the “Members” category.
- Browse the list of members and find the person you want to be the new admin. Hover the cursor over their username and click on the three vertical dots on the right-hand side.
- Select “Transfer Ownership” from the drop-down options menu.
How to Delete a Server on Discord?
Of course, not all servers are worth sustaining. If there’s an abandoned group chat you created, there’s no point in transferring ownership. Instead, you can simply delete the server before you deactivate your account. Here’s how to do it:
- Open the server and navigate to the Server Name. Click to access a drop-down list.
- Click on “Server Settings.”
- Find “Delete Server” on the list of options.
- A pop-up box will appear. Enter the name of the server in the dialog box.
- Confirm by clicking the red “Delete” button in the bottom-right corner. If the 2FA verification is enabled, you have to type the authentication code.
Mind you, once you’ve deleted the server, there’s no going back. It’ll be lost in the shadow realms for good without a chance of resurrection.
Can I Bypass Discord Phone Verification?
As we said, you don’t have to connect your real number to your Discord account. There’s a way to bypass the platform’s phone verification system by using apps like DoNotPay.
Simply put, DoNotPAy creates so-called “burner phones” or temporary phone numbers you can link to a wide range of servers. The app allows you to create an account on any platform without having to reveal your actual contact information. It’s a super nifty feature, especially if you’re wary about hackers and personal data abuse.
To access the product, all you have to do is set up a DoNotPay account. From there on, you can use the unique burner phone to work around any verification requirements, including Discord. Just follow these simple steps:
1. Sign in to your account with your chosen browser.
2. Scroll to the Burner Phone section and type Discord in the dialog box.
3. Choose “Create a Temporary Phone” from the list of options.
4. After you request a verification code from Discord, click to view the text message.
Keep in mind the number will expire after just ten minutes. You have to be quick with sending the verification code if you want this method to work.
Also, sometimes Discord will send you a message stating your phone number is invalid. This happens for the following reasons:
· You picked an invalid country code for your phone number.
· The number is recognized as fake and subsequently blocked.
· You’re using a landline or VOIP numbers (it only works with cellphones).
· A different Discord account has the same phone number.
Why Do I Need a Phone Number for My Discord Account?
With Discord, you can build an entire online community and interact with your friends, family members, or fellow gamers on multiple servers. However, once a channel is made public, there’s a risk it’ll attract spammers who can ruin the fun by flooding it with meaningless content.
This is why Discord implements a variety of security measures, including two-factor authentication (2FA) and phone verification. Although it may seem bothersome, it’s an effective way to ensure the safety of your data. Also, it helps eliminate bots, as their presence in a server can lead to more text scams and other hacker attacks.
Discord Is at Your Beck and Call
While there’s no way for a Discord account to exist without a phone number attached to it, you don’t have to risk your contact information. If you’re worried that your personal data will be abused, you can either delete your account or replace the link with a fake phone number.
However, keep in mind the verification system serves a very particular purpose. It’s an effective security measure that’s meant to protect you from scammers and spam messages. Before you reach for the burner phone, make sure you’re aware of the risks. With over 300 million active users, Discord is one of the biggest platforms in the world. Without a solid line of defense, your account can become more vulnerable to hackers, so tread lightly.
What do you think about Discord’s phone verification? Are you reluctant to link your contact info to such platforms? Comment below if you know of a way to disconnect your phone number from Discord without having to replace it.