Forgot Your Apple ID Email Address? Here’s What To Do
In a world where there are so many different credentials to remember, some are easily forgotten. Your Apple ID email address is not really something you need to keep at the forefront of your mind since you remain signed into your Apple account until you sign out. So, it’s hardly surprising if you forget which email address is associated with your Apple ID.
If you haven’t needed to recall your Apple ID in a while, and it could be one of several email addresses, don’t worry, we’ve got you completely covered.
Read on to learn what Apple suggests you do if you’ve forgotten your Apple ID. We’ll also tell you how to change and phone number Apple ID and reset or change the password using various apps and devices.
Forgotten Apple ID Email Address
If you’ve forgotten your Apple ID, here’s how to quickly get a reminder.
- Open a new browser and navigate to the Apple ID “I forgot apple” webpage.
- Enter your first and last name and one of your email addresses, then “Continue.”
- If no match is found, repeat step two to find a match.
- Once a match is found, a green checkmark will appear on the screen, and you’ll have the option to access your account by clicking on the “Go to Your Account” button.
Check if You’re Already Signed In
Alternatively, you can use your Apple devices to see whether you’re already signed in. Here’s how to check using your iPad, iPod touch, iPhone, or Apple watch.
- On one of your Apple devices, press “Settings,” then select your name. Your Apple ID will display below your name.
On a Mac:
- Click on the Apple menu.
- Select “System Preferences,” then select “Apple ID.”
On a PC:
- Launch iCloud for Windows; your Apple ID will be beneath your name.
Check Your Inboxes
You could also check the inboxes of your email account for emails from Apple. Consider searching your inbox for Apple’s receipts, support, or billing emails.
Also, bear in mind that if your email address is masked, the number of asterisks displayed may not match the number of characters your email address has.
How to Reset a Forgotten Apple ID Password
Forgetting your Apple ID password is easily done with the number of passwords one needs to remember. Follow these steps to reset your password using your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Apple Watch if you’ve forgotten it.
- On your Apple device, select “Settings.”
- Tap your name, “Password & Security,” then “Change Password.”
- You’ll be prompted to enter your passcode if you’re signed into iCloud and have a passcode activated.
- Now follow the instructions to reset your password.
Here’s how to reset your password on a Mac running macOS Catalina or later.
- Access the Apple menu.
- Click “System Preferences” then “Apple ID.”
- Select the “Password & Security” option on the right.
- If you’re prompted to enter your Apple ID password, select “Forgot Apple ID or Password,” then follow the instructions to recover or reset your password.
How to Update Your Apple ID Password
You can update your Apple ID using your iPad, iPod touch, Apple Watch, or iPhone; here’s how.
- Choose “Settings” (your name), then “Password & Security.”
- Press “Change Password.”
- Key in your current password or passcode, type your new password, then re-enter it to confirm.
- Select “Change Password” or “Change.”
Follow these steps to update your Apple ID password using your Mac.
- Access the Apple menu.
- Click on “System Preferences” and “Apple ID.”
- Select “Password & Security,” then “Change Password.”
Before changing your password, you will be prompted to type the password you use to access your Mac.
Change your Apple ID password using the web with the following steps.
- Navigate, then sign in to appleid.apple.com.
- On the “Sign-In and Security” page, select “Password.”
- Enter your present password, type your new password, then re-enter to verify it.
- Select “Change Password.”
Use Another Person’s Device to Reset Password
You can also reset your Apple ID password using a family member’s or friend’s iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch via the Apple Support or Find My iPhone app. Or you can visit an Apple store and ask to use a device there.
Here’s how to reset your password using the Apple Support app.
- Ask a family member or friend to go to the App Store and download the “Apple Support” app.
- Open the app and tap “Password & Security.”
- Press “Reset Apple ID Password.”
- Choose “Get Started,” then “A different Apple ID.”
- Type the Apple ID you wish to reset the password for.
- Press “Next,” and after completing the onscreen instructions, you’ll receive a confirmation that your password has been reset.
If your family member or friend is running iOS 9 to iOS 12 on their device and cannot install the Apple Support app, the Find My iPhone app can be used.
- Open the “Find my iPhone” app.
- At the “Sign In” screen, ensure the Apple ID field is left blank.
- Press “Forgot Apple ID or Password,” then complete the instructions.
How to Change Your Apple ID Email Address
If the email address associated with your Apple ID is no longer in use, you can change it without losing your account information. Here’s how to update your Apple ID’s email address.
- Navigate to appleid.apple.com and sign in.
- Select the Apple ID option from the “Sign-In and Security” section.
- Type the email address you wish to use as your Apple ID.
- Select “Change Apple ID.”
- Check the email inbox for a verification code, and enter it.
If you use services like Messages, or iCloud, sign into the apps using your new Apple ID.
How to Change Your Phone Number Apple ID
Changing your phone number Apple ID, depends on your country or region and how your Apple ID was created. For example, in China mainland, your new Apple ID must be another mobile number starting with (+86).
If you’ve moved to a different country or region, click here for Apple’s instructions on changing your phone number Apple ID.
Here’s how to update your Apple ID to another number using the web.
- First, sign out of all your Apple services and devices signed in with your Apple ID.
- Navigate to appleid.apple.com, then sign in.
- In the “Sign-In and Security” section, choose Apple ID.
- Type in the mobile number you want as your Apple ID, then hit “Change Apple ID.”
- You will receive a verification code on that number. Enter the code to complete the change.
Alternatively, you can update your Apple ID number on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch; follow these steps.
- Apart from the Apple ID you’ve signed in with to change the number, ensure you’ve signed out of all Apple services and other devices using your Apple ID.
- Select “Settings,” your name, then “Name, Phone Numbers, Email.”
- Click on “Edit” beside “Reachable At.”
- Next to your number, press “Delete,” then complete the instructions.
- When you’ve entered the new number, your verification code will be sent to it. Enter the code to complete your Apple ID change.
Your Apple ID Email Address Is Now Recalled
You don’t usually need to remember your Apple ID, but when you need to remember it, you may find you’ve forgotten which email address it could be. Fortunately, Apple helps you to recall the email address by offering several ways to find it. And if you want to change your Apple ID or the password, you can do so from any Apple device, including a device belonging to someone else.
How did you find out what your Apple ID email address was? Tell us which method was successful in the comments section below.