How to Change Location on Find My iPhone
Any iPhone user knows how helpful the Find My service is whenever your device is misplaced. But did you know you can also use the app to allow others to find your location? Better still, it’s a relatively straightforward process.
This article will tell you everything you need to know about changing your location on Find My iPhone.
Change Location on Find My iPhone
If you need to change your location on Find My iPhone, you’re in luck. Have the device that you want to represent your location handy and then follow these steps:
- Open “Settings.”
- Select your ID to open the settings.
- Tap Find My in the menu.
- The Find My options will open. Scroll down to find “My Location.” Check to see what device is listed.
- If the device you want to use is not currently listed, you can tap on “Use This iPhone/iPad as My Location” underneath the “My Location” line.
- If your current device is already listed as the “My Location” device, just close the app.
- Then, next to “My Location” you should see “This Device.”
Locating a Device with the Find My App
Now that your personal location is set, how do you use Find My iPhone? You can use it to locate any device with Find My set to “on.”
- Open the Find My app. You’ll see a list of all your devices.
- Use the map to locate any device that you have lost or misplaced.
- If the device you’re looking for isn’t online, you can see its last reported location.
- If the device is online, you can play a sound on the device and follow the noise to its location. Just tap “Play Sound.”
- A sound will play from your device intermittently for about two minutes, gradually increasing in volume. When you find it, you can stop the sound by tapping the notification on the screen.
Stopping the Locate a Device Sound
When you play a sound on your device, it will automatically stop after 2 minutes. If you would like to stop the noise before then, here’s how to do it.
iPhone/iPad/iPod: There are several ways to dismiss the sound on Apple devices:
- You can click the power button.
- You can press either volume button.
- You can also toggle the ring/silent switch.
- If your device is locked, then unlocking it should also stop the sound.
- Tap the “OK” on the alert that shows on your display screen.
Apple Watch: To turn off the location noise on an Apple Watch, press the side button. Alternatively, you can tap the “Dismiss” on the watch screen.
Mac Computer: The alert that pops up on a Mac PC has an “OK” button that you can click to dismiss the sound.
AirPods: To stop the alert on AirPods, just tap “Stop” in the Find My app. You can also try to tap an AirPod. This should work, depending on your headphones’ settings.
Beats: With Beats headphones, the sound will stop when you tap “Stop” on the Find Myscreen.
If you have any trouble stopping the sound on your devices, it will still cease automatically after two minutes.
Locating a Device with Directions on Find My iPhone
One of the benefits of having your devices connected to Find Myis that if they’re lost, you can follow directions to their location. In your list of devices, tap on any device and then tap “Directions.” This will open up the Maps app and can give you step by step or driving directions to your misplaced device.
Locating a Device That’s Offline
The Find Myservice can’t locate a device that doesn’t have a signal. If you’re looking for a device, but it is offline or is turned off, you can try a couple of things to locate it. You can click on “Play Sound,” and you’ll see that the sound is pending. This means that when the device comes online again, it will play the locating noise. You can also turn on “Notify When Found,” which is below the name of the device on the device list. This will notify you when the device is locatable again.
What do I do if I lose the device that has the Find My iPhone app on it?
Never fear, you can still find your device. You can go to Find Devices on iCloud.com and sign in with your Apple ID and password. You can also do this if a friend or family member loses their phone. The iCloud user guide can tell you more about how to use iCloud to locate a lost device.
Can I use Siri to find my device?
Yes, you can. Say, “Sir, play a sound on my iPad.” You’ll find your device just like if you used Find My iPhone.
Change Location on Find My iPhone
The Find My iPhone app is extremely helpful for those moments when you’ve misplaced a device and just can’t seem to remember where you left it. What’s more, it’s such a simple process, even the least tech-savvy user wont’ have a problem using it. And you can even change your location on app, so friends and family can find you.
Have you ever changed the location on your Find My iPhone? If so, how did you rate the experience? Tell us about it in the comments section below.