How to Download a Video From Vimeo
If you’re one of Vimeo’s many millions of subscribers, you’ll know all about the high-quality content on the platform. Professional video makers and enthusiasts love the control and customization options available. But what happens if you want to download a video to view at a later date, or while offline?
If you want to know if that’s possible, you’ve come to the right place. This article explains how to download from Vimeo onto ANY device. Plus, we’ll answer some frequently asked questions about the topic.
How to Download Videos From Vimeo
Unlike quite a few video-hosting platforms out there, Vimeo allows for videos to be downloaded quite easily, and with no trickery involved. But this does come with a caveat.
Unfortunately, the download option isn’t available for every single video on Vimeo. This is because the uploader must have a Business, Plus, or Pro account to enable their videos to be downloaded. The good news is that most serious content creators have this status. So, here’s how to get that content for any device you may have.
How to Download a Video From Vimeo to Mac
Thankfully, downloading a video for Vimeo to your Mac is really straightforward. All you need to do is follow these simple steps:
- Visit the Vimeo homepage and click on ‘sign up’ to get started. This will redirect you to a page that lists a few paid options. However, there is also an option to ‘continue with basic’ at the bottom of the page. This will allow you to view and download, but not to upload videos – perfect for this purpose.
- Next up, visit the video that you want to download.
- Under the video, on the right-hand side, you will see a ‘download’ button. Click it.
- Select the quality you wish to download the video in, if the option is given.
And that’s it! Depending on your internet connection, you should have the video within a matter of seconds.
How to Download a Video From Vimeo to iPhone
If you want to keep a video for later when you aren’t connected to Wi-Fi or using your data, there is an easy way to do so. All you need to do is to download the video and then you can watch it any time you are out of coverage, on an airplane, or out of data. It’s really easy. Here’s how to do it:
- Download the Vimeo app onto your iPhone or iPad.
- Find the video you wish to download within the app itself.
- Once you have located the video, simply hit the ‘offline sync’ button to begin downloading.
- As soon as the video has finished downloading, you can disconnect from the Wi-Fi or switch your data off.
- To watch what you’ve downloaded, click the menu button and then ‘offline videos’
How to Download a Video From Vimeo to Android
The Vimeo app is intuitive and easy-to-use, so the directions are much the same as they were for the iPhone. Follow these easy steps and you’ll be able to watch your favorite videos any time you want:
- The first thing you need to do is to download the Vimeo app onto your Android device.
- Next up, find the video that you wish to download via the app itself and not the desktop site.
- Once you have found the video you wish to download, all you need to do is to click on the ‘offline sync’ button. This will begin your download.
- As soon as the video has been downloaded to your Android device, it is now safe to disconnect from the internet.
- To watch or delete what you have downloaded, just clink into ‘menu’ and then into ‘offline videos’. To remove a video from your library, click the X button.
How to Download a Video From Vimeo to Windows
Before attempting to download to a Windows device, there are two things that are worth taking note of. The first is that videos that have a rental or subscription status are not available to download via a computer.
The second is that a ‘seller’ can also disable downloads for videos that they have listed for purchase. Aside from these exceptions, the process is relatively simple and goes as such:
- When on the Browse or Product page, all you need to do is to click on the video that you wish to download.
- Next up, just scroll down the page of your chosen video.
- When you see the ‘video downloads’ option, click it to open the dropdown menu.
- Next, select the resolution you wish to download the video in.
- Upon selecting your preferred resolution, the video will begin to download to your desktop or laptop.
How to Download a Video From Vimeo on Chromebook
On Chromebook, the best way to download videos from Vimeo is to install a reliable app to take care of business for you. Of the many apps out there that perform this task, FBDown Video Downloader has the best ratings. As its name suggests, it was initially designed to download videos from Facebook. However, it has many more uses than just this – and it is free!
As soon as you have the app downloaded to your device, all you need to do is click the download arrow in your taskbar. The app will then bring up a menu full of all of the downloadable videos on the page you are currently viewing. Simply click the one/ones you wish to download and the app will take care of the rest for you.
How to Download a Video From Vimeo to Your Phone
Generally speaking, downloading a video from Vimeo directly to your phone is easy. It’s also a great way to view videos when you expect to have no coverage or be on an airplane in the near future. To get the videos you want, simply follow these straightforward steps:
- First up, you will need to download the Vimeo app onto your phone.
- Next, search for and open the video you wish to download.
- You should then notice that there are three dots in either the top right-hand corner of the video player or at the bottom right corner (it depends on what device you are using).
- Click on the three dots.
- From the menu that appears, select the ‘add to offline playlist’ option.
And that’s it! This video will now be in your media library and available to watch even when you have no internet connection.
How Do I Download Multiple Videos From Vimeo?
Unfortunately, there is no way to batch download from Vimeo without using a separate downloader. So, if you aren’t interested in downloading videos one by one, there are a few downloaders that have a better reputation than their competitors.
GetFLV works incredibly well with Vimeo and will allow you to batch download videos directly to your computer, iPad, phone, and a whole host of other devices. As an added bonus, GetFLV allows you to convert the format from Vimeo to mp4, AVI, FLV… pretty much any format you can think of.
How Do I Download a Private Video From Vimeo?
Downloading private videos can be a bit difficult as there isn’t a download option right in front of you.
Here’s how it’s done:
• Load the page with the video you want to download.
• Right-click on the video.
• From the options that pop up, select ‘view page source.’
• Search for the best quality mp4.
• Copy that URL with full token data.
• Paste this URL into a new tab.
• Next up, hit that play button.
• As soon as the video begins playing, right-click and then save it.
Is It Legal to Download Videos From Vimeo?
It is technically not legal to download a video from Vimeo unless the uploader themselves has provided a download link.
Videos at Your Beck and Call
Now you’re ready to watch movies from Vimeo even if you are miles away from an internet connection. You can even entertain yourself or the kids on long haul flights with top-quality entertainment on the go.
Do you download movies from Vimeo regularly? Do you ever encounter any problems while doing so? If so, we’d love to hear about it in the comments section below.