How to Drop a Pin on Google Maps
It’s almostimpossible to get around a new place without Google Maps. But have you everfound yourself in a situation where Google Maps didn’t know what you were lookingfor?
That’sprobably because the address was incorrect, has yet to be mapped, or maybe it’san off-road location. That’s why dropping a pin in Google Maps can be immenselyuseful.
In thisarticle, we’ll show you how to use this feature correctly and make the most ofit on your mobile device as well as your computer.
How to Drop a Pin on Google Maps on iOS and AndroidDevice
When typing inthe address in the Google Maps search box is not enough, it’s necessary to dosome zooming in or out with your fingers to find the location you’re lookingfor.
Once you findit, or at least the vicinity, dropping a pin is the next step. The process ofpinning a location on Google Maps is the same on both Android and iOS devices.And here’s how it works:
- Open the Google Maps app on your device.
- You can enter a location and then search the area around the pin that shows up. Or, if you’re looking for a nearby place, you can start searching manually.
- Once you’re looking at the right place on the screen, zoom in as much as possible.
- Tap the location where you want to drop a pin and hold for a little bit.
- A pin will appear under your finger. And at the bottom of the screen, you’ll see a panel with a range of options.
Importantnote: There is a small difference between Google Maps on iOS and Androiddevices. When you drop a pin, the panel that pops up will appear to have feweroptions on the Android version of the app. But all you need to do is tap on thepanel for it to show all the possibilities.
How to Drop a Pin on Google Maps on Windows, Mac, orChromebook PC
Some peopletend to use Google Maps on their mobile devices more frequently. And whenyou’re out and searching for a location, the app can be your best ally.
However, ifyou want to research a location before you head out, you can do so using GoogleMaps on your computer.
Regardless of thedevice, Windows PC, Mac, or Chromebook, the steps are the same. So here’s whatyou need to do:
- Open Google Maps on your computer. If you’re not sure where to find it, just click on this link.
- Enter the approximate location in the Google Maps search box or zoom in with your mousepad to the location that you want to pin.
- When you find the location you’re looking for, click on it and the pin will appear under the cursor of your mouse.
- A pop-up box will appear at the bottom of the screen, showing the coordinates as well as the closest street or pinned location to the one you’ve chosen.
Note:You can pin anywhere on Google Maps. Including an entire city if you choose to.
How to Open a Pin Dropped in WhatsApp on Google Maps fromiOS or Android Device
One of themost practical uses of the pinning feature on Google Maps is that you can sendsomeone a pinned location.
There are severalmessaging apps that you can use right in Google Maps, and WhatsApp is one ofthem. Let’s say that you’re having difficulties finding a location on GoogleMaps, but you know a friend who knows how to find it.
The friend candrop a pin on their end and share this information with you in WhatsApp. If you’venever received a dropped pin that way before, you might be wondering what to donext. Here’s how to go about it:
- Open WhatsApp on your phone and go to the particular message.
- The Google Maps link you’ve received will say “Dropped pin” and the closest street or location underneath. It will also have a small image of Google Maps and the coordinates.
- Click on the link that’s directly under the “Dropped pin” location.
- You’ll be redirected from WhatsApp to Google Maps app on your phone. If Google Maps is disabled, the link will open in your phone’s default browser.
- When Google Maps launches, you’ll be able to see the dropped pin in question. By clicking on it, a pop-up menu will appear where you can take further action.
Using the WhatsApp Web Portal
WhatsApp is mostcommonly used as a text messaging phone app, but people may also use WhatsAppWeb. You can even download it on your computer.
However,you’ll still need to have your phone connected to the internet at the sametime. So, if you’re using WhatsApp on your computer and someone sends you adropped pin message, you can open it in a browser. Here’s how:
- Go to the WhatsApp Web portal or launch the WhatsApp desktop messaging app on your computer.
- Click on the Google Maps link you received.
- Another tab will open on your browser and you’ll be able to see the dropped pin as created by the person who sent the link.
How to Share Dropped Pin from Google Maps
Now you knowexactly what happens when someone sends you a dropped pin via WhatsApp or anyother messaging app. But suppose you’ve dropped a pin that you need to forwardto someone else? Let’s explore your options.
On iOS and Android Devices
Once you’vedropped a pin, you do several things. One of them is to share the location pinnedwith someone else. So, when you click on the pin and the pop-up panel appears,here’s what you do:
- Click on the “Share Place” option.
- You can type the name of the person that you want to share with and send them an email directly. Or you can select one of the apps. SMS, WhatsApp, and others that Google Maps is compatible with.
- You’ll be redirected to the chosen app and from there, search for the contact and then press the “Send” button.
On Windows, Mac, and Chromebook
The process isrelatively similar. Once you’ve found the location and dropped the pin, a panelon the left side of the screen will appear. From there, follow these steps:
- Click on the “Share” button, which is last in the row of options.
- A pop-up screen will appear and you’ll see several options.
- You can send the link using Facebook or Twitter. Or, you can select the “Copy Link” option and then forward the link in other ways.
- You can also choose to embed the map by switching the tab from “Send a link” to “Embed a map.”
How to Save and Label a Dropped Pin on Google Maps
Another highlypractical feature that you can utilize when dropping a pin on Google Maps islabeling your pin. What this essentially means is that you’re saving thedropped pin for later.
You don’t wantto have to look for it all over again, especially if it took you a while. Thisoption is very similar to the “Save” option on Google Maps, but there are somedifferences.
The“Save” feature is available on both the mobile app and Google Maps onthe computer. In contrast, labeling a dropped pin is only available on theGoogle Maps app. The idea is that you label a location that you perhaps haven’tvisited yet and that you’re not sure if it’s 100% correct.
Whereas withsaved locations, the idea is to save the places that you’re planning to visitor you go to all the time. So, here’s how you can label a dropped pin on GoogleMaps:
- Open Google Maps on your phone and tap on the dropped pin.
- From a pop-up menu, select “Label.”
- Under the “Add a Label” option, enter the name of your label.
- Google Maps will offer some suggestions, but you can choose whatever you wish.
Once you’veentered your label’s name, a little blue flag will appear on the map with thename you’ve selected.
How to Save a Dropped Pin on Windows, Mac, and Chromebook
When you dropa pin on Google Maps on your computer, you can proceed to save it. The processis straightforward and goes:
- Click on the dropped pin with your cursor.
- On the panel on the left side of the screen, select the “Save” button.
- From the drop-down menu, choose how you want to save it. As your favorite, with a star, or you can create a new list customized to your needs.
How to Remove a Dropped Pin
Knowing how todrop a pin on Google Maps is a useful skill, but what do you do if you drop apin in the wrong location? These mistakes happen to everyone and are very easyto fix. Here’s how you can remove a dropped pin on Google Maps:
On iOS and Android Devices
If yourfingers were a little too quick and you’ve dropped a wrong pin, here’s how youremove it:
- Click on the dropped pin.
- Before you take any other action, click on the “X” in the search box, next to the coordinates.
- The dropped pin will disappear immediately from the phone screen, and you can start over.
On Windows, Mac, and Chromebook
Dropping a pinby mistake can happen even on a large screen. Here’s how you can fix it:
- Click on the dropped pin.
- On the pop-up box at the bottom of the screen, select “X” in the top-right corner.
- The dropped pin will disappear instantly.
Dropping Pins with Google Maps
Google Mapshas so many unique and practical features and many people have come to rely onit quite a bit. But there are times when it can’t guide you exactly where youwant to go and you may have to search for the place yourself.
Fortunately, thedrop a pin feature makes all of that so much easier. You can investigate theroutes yourself and save the pin if it turns out that you’re on the righttrack. Also, don’t forget that sending and receiving dropped pins with WhatsAppis a quick way to share the location you’ve found.
Do you drop apin on Google Maps often? Let us know in the comments section below.