How to Enable or Disable Dark Mode for All the Major Google Apps
There is a reason countless apps have released a dark mode option over the last couple of years – it is not only very trendy, but it actually helps save battery power.
Many Google apps now offer this option, and you will probably want to turn it on and go as dark as possible on your favorite smartphone/tablet device. Here is how to enable/disable dark mode on some of the most important Google apps.
How to Enable Dark Mode – Android Settings
If you’re using a device on Android 10 or higher, you can quickly change all apps to Dark Mode with a few easy steps. We’ll discuss how to set each one individually below, but for now, we’ll show you all to do it all at once in your device’s settings.
- Swipe down from the top of the screen and tap on the Settings cog.
- Next, tap on Display.
- Now, tap on Dark Mode.
While this won’t change all of your apps (like Facebook, Instagram, etc.), it will change all of your Google apps to dark mode.
If, for some reason, this method wasn’t effective for you, or you don’t want all of your apps in Dark Mode, keep reading.
How to Enable or Disable Dark Mode – iOS Settings
Similar to the instructions above for Android, iOS users can quickly change most of their Google apps to dark mode by updating the system settings. Here’s how:
- Open the Settings on your iPhone and tap on Display & Brightness.
- Tap on the dark mode selection.
Now, your Google app, Home app, and others will automatically update to dark mode. But, based on our tests in October of 2021, the Google Maps app didn’t automatically switch to dark mode. If you have the same experience, we’ll show you how to change Maps to dark mode below.
How to Enable or Disable Dark Mode for Google Play Store
Let’s face it; we can talk about Google Maps, Google Translate, or Google Search even, but Google Play Store remains the most important app on your device. How come? Well, you use it to download all the other apps that you need.
Whether you download new apps occasionally or are a daily Google Play visitor, you will surely want to play around with the dark mode for your favorite Android device.
- Start by opening the Google Play Store app, then tap on the profile icon in the upper right-hand corner.
- In the menu, find Settings and tap on it.
- Tap on General.
- Find the Theme option, tap it, and you will get to choose between Light and Dark.
- There is a third option that will set the theme in accordance with your device’s global dark mode settings. Select your preferred option.
How to Enable or Disable Dark Mode for Keep Notes
Google Keep Notes is one of the most advanced note-taking services on the market. It has been around for a while, but recently, it is seen a spike in popularity. Here’s how to change your Keep Notes to dark mode:
- Open Keep Notes and tap on the three horizontal lines in the upper right-hand corner.
- Tap on Settings.
- Tap on Theme.
- Tap on Dark. You can also select the option to follow the system default.
How to Enable or Disable Dark Mode for Google Drive
Google Drive is an excellent resource for storing files, documents, and more. Here’s how to enable dark mode for Google Drive:
- Open Google Drive and tap on the three horizontal lines in the upper left-hand corner.
- Tap on Settings.
- Tap on Choose Theme.
- Select Dark or choose the system default option.
Now, Google Drive will appear in dark mode.
How to Enable or Disable Dark Mode for Google Assistant
If you still are not using Google Assistant, you are missing out – it can answer a ton of questions and do a lot of stuff on your command. Whatever you need, Google Assistant is there for you.
Unfortunately, you can not tell Google Assistant to turn its dark mode on or off. If you want to choose between the dark and regular modes, you are going to have to go about it manually.
Note: As mentioned above, Google Assistant should follow your system’s dark mode, but perhaps you don’t want your entire Google suite in dark mode. Unfortunately, the Google Assistant app doesn’t always have its own theme settings. If the options below don’t appear for you, follow the instructions to change your Google app settings to dark mode, and the Google Assistant app will follow suit.
- Run the Google Assistant app from your device.
- Navigate to the bottom-right corner of the screen. You will see a More option; tap on it.
- On the next screen, select Settings and then click General. This will list many useful settings, among which you will find the Theme option.
- Now, tap Theme and select whether you want the theme to be Light, Dark, or go by the System default.
How to Enable or Disable Dark Mode for Google Maps
Google Maps has become the world’s most popular navigation app. Whenever someone needs any map-related information, it is their go-to choice. Recently, Google Maps introduced a dark mode feature.
To enable Dark Mode on Google Maps, do this:
- Start by tapping on your profile icon in the upper right-hand corner.
- Next, tap on Settings.
- Tap on Dark Mode under the Using Maps section.
- Then, tap On. You can also tap the option to follow your system settings if you’d like.
If you opted to go with the option for Maps to follow your system settings, you can easily enable and disable dark mode on all of your Google apps in the device’s settings.
How to Enable Dark Mode for Google Chrome
Google Chrome is another app that can easily go from light mode to dark mode. Here’s how to make the switch:
- Open the Chrome app and tap on the three vertical dots in the upper right-hand corner.
- Tap on Settings.
- Tap on Theme.
- Tap on Dark.
Now, the Google Chrome app will appear in dark mode.
How to Enable Dark Mode for Google Search
Finally, the most used Google app on the list – Google Search. You would think that this app would be the first to get a trendy feature, such as dark mode. However, you would be wrong, as they introduced it only a few months back.
- Start by running the Google Search app on your device and then navigate to the More button.
- Next, click on Settings.
- In the Settings screen, go to Themes.
- A screen will allow you to choose between the Dark, Light, and System default settings. It is pretty clear what you need to do here.
No Dark Mode Option Available
Some Google apps have yet to introduce the Dark Mode option. Whatever the reason, they are lagging behind. However, the apps listed above do possess the dark mode option. Follow the steps, and you will be able to enable or disable it quickly.
If Dark Mode isn’t in one of the apps we’ve shown you, it may be that your app is not up-to-date. As a rule of thumb, your device will update the apps automatically. Sometimes, however, the auto-updates might be lagging behind, so you will have to perform them manually.
To do this, go to your app store and search for the app in question. From there, update it manually, if possible. This should make sure that the Google app is up-to-date and that it features a dark mode option.
Here is some more information that answers other questions you may have about Google Themes.
1. How do I turn on dark mode for all apps?
Whatever device you are using, there is an option to enable the global dark mode feature. The global dark mode feature will try and detect all the apps on the device that support the dark mode and automatically turn it on. Keep in mind, though, that it might not detect the dark mode with every single app that offers the option.
- You will find this option in the devices Settings menu; navigate to Display & Brightness.
- Now, toggle the Dark mode switch to On.
- On iOS devices, go to Display & Brightness and select the option you prefer. You can choose between Light, Dark, and Automatic.
2. Is dark mode better for the eyes?
In addition to ensuring a longer battery life on your device and lower power consumption, the dark mode has been known to reduce eyestrain in conditions that offer low amounts of light.
However, dark mode is not an excuse for staring at your phone screen for hours per day. Any form of screen overuse can still cause eyesight damage in the long term – always keep this in mind.
3. Why should you use dark mode?
First of all, the dark mode causes less eyestrain. Then, there is the factor of battery life. Simply put, white and bright backgrounds feature a higher light emission (as you have probably noticed). Naturally, this entails more battery consumption.
The dark mode is better in terms of productivity as well. Plus, it looks pretty sleek and cool.
4. Does Google Chrome have dark mode?
On Android devices, the dark mode in Google Chrome is still an experimental feature, activated from the browser’s address bar by entering chrome://flags. iOS devices have yet to see an option for the dark mode in Google Chrome.
There you have it! This is how you enable the dark mode on the major Google apps. Although the dark mode option hasn’t been introduced in every single Google app, you can rest assured that we are slowly getting there. Remember, unrolling this option seems to be a much bigger challenge than it seems.
Have you managed to turn on the dark mode in any of these apps? Did you have to manually update them to do it? Hit the comments section below and join the discussion. Don’t refrain from asking any questions you might have on the subject, either.