How to Pair AirPods
Even before the AirPods Pro, Apple’s proprietary wireless earbuds have always been at the top end of the market. Both AirPods and the Pro version have excellent connectivity and audio and build quality.
The AirPods, however, aren’t your regular wired earbuds, which makes them a bit more complicated to set up. Don’t worry, as is the norm, Apple has done everything to make AirPods pairing as straightforward as possible. Keep in mind, though, that pairing them with an iOS/macOS device is easier than non-Apple products.
How to Pair AirPods with an iPhone/iPad
The basic menu systems in these mobile devices are virtually identical, which includes pairing AirPods. Here’s how to do it.
- Make sure you’re on the Home screen on your iOS device
- Open the AirPods case (the buds should still be inside)
- Hold the case next to the phone/tablet
- You’ll see a setup animation and then tap “Connect”
With AirPods 2nd Generation or AirPods Pro, there are additional steps:
- Set up “Hey Siri” yet on your device by following the outlined instructions. After everything is completed, tap Done
Keep in mind that your AirPods are automatically set up with any iCloud device under the Apple ID in question.
How to Pair AirPods with an Android Device
The AirPods are compatible with Android devices. The setup, however, is more typical – so don’t expect cool automatic connectivity. Don’t expect extra features like the AirPods battery indicator on your Android device either. There are alternative apps that can help you display the battery life and launch Google Assistant (rather than Siri).
- Navigate to the Settings app on your device
- Go to Connections or Connected Devices
- Select Bluetooth
- Turn Bluetooth on if not already
- Open the case of your AirPods
- Find the white button located on the back
- Make sure that you’re holding the case next to the Android device and tap the button
- Select the AirPods on the list of connected devices
How to Pair AirPods with an Apple Watch
The Apple Watch brings basic smartphone functionalities to the convenience of your wrist. Some of these functionalities, of course, include AirPods connectivity. Pairing AirPods with your Apple Watch is performed in the same way as pairing any other Bluetooth accessory.
- Hold the AirPods case with the AirPods inside close to your Apple Watch and open the case
- Press the white button on the back (pairing mode)
- Go to Settings, followed by Bluetooth on your watch
- The Apple Watch should find the AirPods and select AirPods
- Enter the passkey/PIN if prompted
Once you’ve first connected the AirPods, you won’t have to go through all of this again. The next time you use the AirPods with the same device, they will connect automatically. Here’s how to unpair the AirPods from Apple Watch.
- Go to Settings and tap Bluetooth
- Tap the “i” icon next to the AirPods entry
- Select Forget Device
How to Pair AirPods with a MacBook
Before proceeding to connect the AirPods with your MacBook, make sure that they aren’t connected to any other device. Once you’ve done this, the connection process should be very straightforward.
- Open the lid with your AirPods inside
- Press and hold the button on the back of the case until you see the status light flashing
- On your MacBook, navigate to the Apple menu and select in dropdown menu System Preferences
- Select Bluetooth
- Under the list of devices, you should see your AirPods
- Select their entry
How to Pair AirPods with a Chromebook
We’ve already seen that AirPods can connect to non-Apple devices. Well, despite the fact that Chromebooks have very limited features, they are compatible with the AirPods.
- Navigate to the bottom-right corner of the screen
- This settings screen contains options for Wi-Fi connections, notifications, Bluetooth devices, etc.
- If Bluetooth is turned off, click the arrow next to the Bluetooth entry and switch the toggle
- Before proceeding, make sure that your AirPods are inside their case
- Have your AirPods enter pairing mode using the white button on the back of their case
- Once the white status light is flashing, you should be able to see the AirPods in the list of available devices on your Chromebook
- Click the entry representing your AirPods, and you’ll be notified that they are paired
How to Pair AirPods with a Windows 10 Computer
The AirPods behave like any other Bluetooth device so they’ll work with any Bluetooth-enabled PCs. Not all of them have Bluetooth so make sure yours does first, and do the following.
- With your AirPods tucked away inside their case, hold the white button on the back of the case until the white light flashes
- Go to Start and type in “settings”
- Hit Enter
- Select the Devices category
- Turn the Bluetooth feature on by flipping the switch
- Your AirPods should be located under Other devices
- Click their entry and select Connect
How to Pair AirPods with a Peloton
As today’s hottest exercise bikes, including the modern Peloton models will have Bluetooth connectivity. These exercise bikes have a custom Peloton OS. They compatible with the AirPods but of course you don’t get some of the Apple-exclusive features.
- Open the case but don’t take out the AirPods
- Use the white button to put the AirPods in pairing mode
- Now, go to the Settings menu on your Peloton screen, located in the top-right screen corner
- Select Bluetooth
- Your Peloton should automatically display your AirPods on the list of available devices
- Tap the AirPods entry and the bike will connect automatically
How do I pair my AirPods to each other?
By default, your AirPods pair with each other automatically. However, if one of them breaks, you can get a replacement. Of course, you will then have to pair the two.u003cbru003eu003cbru003eStart by putting them both inside the AirPods case. Open the lid and see if the status light is flashing amber. Get them into pairing mode by holding down the white button on the back of the case. Go to your phone’s Home screen. Repeat the setup process for connecting the AirPods to a device (follow the tutorials above).
Can stolen AirPods be used?
Unfortunately, AirPods don’t come with a security failsafe system. The moment your AirPods are taken out of range, they will disconnect from your device. Once this happens, the AirPods can connect to a new device, which makes them a frequent target of theft. Keep your AirPods stored away safely to avoid theft. However, using the Find My iPhone feature, you can find the AirPods, so long as they are turned on and paired with your device. So, if the thief is still nearby, you can find them.
Does AppleCare cover stolen AirPods?
As you’d expect, Apple doesn’t account for lost or stolen AirPods. You will have to have purchased some optional warranty that covers theft when you purchase the AirPods. Or, check the credit card used to make the purchase. Certain American Express cards may have theft protection.
How do I pair my AirPods without a case?
Although the AirPods case does provide ease of connectivity, it isn’t necessary to pairing your AirPods. To set them up, you do need the case. However, once they’re set up, you can leave them out of the case and they’ll connect to your device normally. Don’t lose the case, though, as it’s the only way to charge the buds.
As amazing as they are, you might want to buy a pair of AirPods even if you don’t own any Apple devices. The Airpods are compatible with most devices. In fact, you can even connect them to your Peloton exercise bike.
We hope that this tutorial has provided you with all the necessary insight regarding pairing your AirPods to Apple and non-Apple devices. If you have any questions or more to add, navigate to the comments section below and fire away.