How to Report a User on Discord from a PC or Mobile Device
Discord may be a synonym for disagreement, but it sure doesn’t mean you can’t be nice when exchanging opinions with other people. This chat app can be an excellent way to spend your free time communicating with members interested in topics you also like.
However, it’s not unheard of that sometimes a simple misunderstanding or different opinion can lead to a more serious dispute. It happens a lot in the online world, where you can’t see how your words affect other people.
If you experience an unpleasant situation on Discord and you wish to report someone’s inappropriate comments or behavior, here’s how to do so.
How to Report a User on Discord using the iPhone App
Reporting a user on Discord is a straightforward process on iPhones, and other iOS devices, such as iPads. The complaint process is easier to use than on a desktop computer, where you need to enter specific ID codes.
Thankfully, iPhones make reporting users on Discord simple. However, the fact that the process is so quick doesn’t mean you should report any objectionable message. It’s recommended you ensure that the specific user is breaking Discord’s rules.
Note: You can only report an existing message. If it’s been deleted, you can’t report it anymore. That’s why it’s essential to keep all your messages, even if they’re hurtful, until the problem is resolved.
Report Someone on Discord using the App on Your iPhone:
- Locate the message you want to report.
- Tap the top of the message and hold.
- From the pop-up menu, choose “Report” at the bottom of the screen.
If the above method to report Discord users doesn’t work, enable Developer Mode and report them using the user ID and message ID.
Report Someone on Discord using IDs on Your iPhone:
- Open the Discord app on your iPhone.
- Tap the “Settings” icon (gear icon). It will open your “User Settings” tab. You can also select your profile photo on the side to access this menu.
- Locate and select “Appearance.”
- Tap on “Advanced.”
- Find “Developer Mode” and slide the toggle to the “ON” position.
- Now, get the necessary IDs to report the user – their ID and the message ID. To get the user’s ID, open their profile, and tap on the three-dot icon on the top right corner and choose Copy ID from the options. To copy the message ID, locate the message you want to report, tap and hold, and then select Copy Message Link from the list.
Note: Don’t forget to paste the first ID somewhere so that you can copy it later. The second ID you copy will overwrite it if you don’t paste it somewhere first. For example, you can use the Notes app on your iPhone.
- Once you’ve collected the IDs, go to the Discord Trust & Safety center and file your report so the Discord team can evaluate it. Provide the copied IDs and a short explanation of the issue in the Description box.
How to Report a User on Discord using the Android App
Reporting a user on the Android app works in a similar way as iOS.
- Launch the Discord app on your phone or tablet.
- Open the user settings: Tap your “profile image” or “Settings” (gear icon) to access the menu.
- Scroll to find the “App Settings” tab and tap it to open it.
- From the new screen, choose “Behavior.”
- Under “Chat Behavior,” toggle the “Developer Mode” option to the “ON” position.
- Once you’ve enabled “Developer Mode,” find the message you want to report and its author. Tap the “user’s image” to open their profile and copy their “ID.”
- Tap and hold the message and then choose “Share.”
- Select “Copy to clipboard.”
- Proceed to paste the “User ID” and the “Message ID” into the “Description” box in the “Trust and Safety Center” menu, then describe your issue.
After you submit your report, the Discord team will tackle it as soon as possible.
Of course, as there are moderators for each server in which you participate in discussions, you can always report hate speech or a similar issue to them. Some problems get resolved by talking to a user first if they wrote something that doesn’t align with the guidelines.
In more severe cases of a rule violation, you can always officially report it to the Trust and Safety team.
How to Report a User on Discord using the Windows App
Are you using the Discord app on your computer? Here’s how you can report a user on the Windows app.
- Open Discord, log into your account, then select the “Settings” icon (gear icon) at the bottom of the screen.
- Scroll down to the “Advanced” section and ensure “Developer Mode” is “ON.”
- Obtain the necessary IDs to report the user. Open the message you believe violates Discord guidelines.
- Right-click on the “person’s username,” then click on the “Copy ID” option from the list.
- Paste the User ID somewhere you can quickly grab it from later, such as “Notepad.”
- Click on the “horizontal ellipsis” (three-dot) icon you’ll see while hovering over the message you want to report, and choose “Copy Message Link.”
- Paste the Message Link into your doc that has the User ID.
Now, you’re ready to report the user to the Trust and Safety team. You have both the User ID and Message Link/ID. If there isn’t a specific message you want to report, but only the user and his behavior in general, you won’t need the message ID. In that case, you can skip the last set of instructions.
Along with the IDs, you’ll need to provide your email address and briefly explain why you’re reporting this person. When you’re done, just click on “Submit,” and that’s it.
If you want to know what happens with your report, check your email inbox regularly because that’s where you’ll receive your reply.
How to Report a User on Discord on the Mac App
If you have a Mac computer, you’ll discover that reporting a user on Discord works in the same way as on Windows PCs.
All you need to do is:
- Open the Discord app on your Mac, select “Settings” (gear icon) at the bottom of the screen.
- From the left sidebar, choose “Appearance.”
- In the “Advanced” section, toggle “Developer Mode” to “ON.”
- To obtain the User ID for your report, use the two-finger tap on the username from the list of Friends on the left side, then select “Copy ID.” Remember that “Developer Mode” must be “ON” or “Copy ID” won’t show in the menu.
- Paste their ID to the text doc of choice. “Developer Mode” must be “ON.”
- Repeat above for the user’s message – click the three-dot icon you’ll see when you hover the cursor over the message and get its link.
- Paste the two IDs into your report and add a brief explanation to the Description box. When you’re done, click on Submit, and you’re done.
How to Report a Discord User for Being Under 13
Most social platforms will only allow you to create a profile if you’re over 13 years old. Unfortunately, it’s not always possible to prove someone’s younger than this age. Still, if you have a reason to suspect someone has been breaking this rule, you can report them and let the Discord team take it from there. However, you should know that Discord probably won’t ban this person unless you have solid proof of their age.
How do you report a suspicious user?
According to Discord, you should send them a direct email. You can also use the official report form and report this user like any other. Just add the reason to the Description box, and use the Attachments option to add proof if you have it.
Want to know more about reporting people on Discord? Here is some additional information you may find useful.
Can I Easily Block Someone on Discord?
Yes. You can use any device to either block someone’s direct messages or their profile, then you won’t be able to see each other on the platform anymore.
If you only want to block the messages, open the Privacy Settings by clicking the down arrow on the upper left corner of the screen, next to the server name.
Switch the toggle to disable the Allow direct messages from server members option.
If you want to block a user, click a person’s username to open their profile. Click the three-dot icon next to the Send Friend Request button. A drop-down menu will appear, so select Block, and that’s it.
When Is It Appropriate to Report a User on Discord?
As mentioned, it’s essential to be sure that someone’s behavior or messages are breaking Discord’s rules. Here are the most common reasons for reporting a user on this platform:
• Sending spam messages
• Harassing or threatening other users
• Sharing photos of animal cruelty
• Sharing child pornography
• Violating IP rights
• Promoting self-harm or suicide
• Distributing viruses
You can also report someone if they’re picking on you personally. Discord isn’t a platform where you should feel threatened in any way – it’s a place to enjoy chatting with people who like the same things as you. But before you report a user, you can try talking to them or even asking a server moderator for help. If that doesn’t work, reporting someone may be the only option.
Make Your Discord Environment Better
When someone’s toxic or even cruel in an environment where you should make friends and have fun, you just have to do something. Reporting a user who’s inappropriate on Discord doesn’t only benefit you, but it can also make everyone else’s experience on this platform much better.
Why should anyone have to deal with rude comments or behavior online? You wouldn’t put up with such things in the real world, so there’s no need to tolerate harassment in the virtual world either.
Have you ever wanted to report someone on Discord? How did you solve the situation? Share your experience in the comments section below.