How to Report a User on Discord from a PC or Mobile Device
Discord may be a synonym for disagreement, but it sure doesn’t mean you can’t be nice when exchanging opinions with other people. This chat app can be a cool way to spend your free time chatting to members interested in stuff you also like.
However, it’s not unheard of that sometimes a simple misunderstanding or different opinions can lead to a more serious dispute. It happens a lot in the online world, where you can’t see how your words can affect other people.
If you go through an unpleasant experience on this platform and you wish to report someone’s inappropriate comments or behavior, here’s how to do so.
How to Report a User on Discord on the iPhone App
Reporting a user on Discord is a straightforward process on iPhones, and other iOS devices, such as iPads. It’s simpler to report someone in this manner than on a desktop computer, where you need to enter specific ID codes.
Thankfully, iPhones make it simple. However, the fact that the process is so quick doesn’t mean we should report any message we disagree with. It’s recommended you make sure the specific user is breaking Discord’s rules.
Also, remember that you can only report an existing message. If it’s been deleted, you can’t report it anymore. That’s why it’s essential to keep all your messages, even if they’re hurtful until the problem is resolved.
When you’re sure you want to report a user and their message, here are the steps to follow:
- Locate the message you want to report.
- Tap the top of the message and hold.
- From the pop-up menu, choose the Report option at the bottom.
And that’s all!
If this method doesn’t work, you can try enabling the Developer Mode and reporting the user via their ID. Follow the instructions below to do this.
- Open the Discord app on your iPhone.
- Tap on the gear icon. It will open your User Settings tab. (You can also select your profile photo on the side to access this menu).
- Locate Appearance and tap it.
- Select ‘Advanced.’
- Find the Developer Mode and slide the toggle to ON.
- Now, get the necessary IDs to report the user – their ID and the message ID. To get the user’s ID, open their profile, and tap on the three-dot icon on the top right corner and choose Copy ID from the options. To copy the message ID, locate the message you want to report, tap and hold, and then select Copy Message Link from the list.
Note: Don’t forget to paste the first ID somewhere so that you can copy it later. The second ID you copy will overwrite it if you don’t paste it somewhere first. For example, you can use the Notes app on your iPhone.
- Once you’ve collected the IDs, go to the Discord Trust & Safety center and file your report so the Discord team can evaluate it. Provide the copied IDs and a short explanation of the issue in the Description box on this screen.
How to Report a User on Discord on the Android App
Reporting a user on the Android app works in a similar way.
- Launch the Discord app on your phone or tablet.
- Open the user settings – tap your profile image or the gear icon to access this menu.
- Scroll to find the App Settings tab and tap to open.
- From the new screen, choose ‘Behavior.’
- Under ‘Chat Behavior,’ you’ll see the ‘Developer Mode’ option so move the toggle to turn it on.
- Once you’ve enabled the Developer Mode, find the message you want to report and its author. Tap the user’s image to open their profile and copy their ID.
- Copy the message ID. Tap and hold the message and then choose Share.
- Select Copy to clipboard.
- Proceed to paste these IDs into the Description box in the Trust and Safety center and describing your issue.
After you submit your report, the Discord team will tackle it as soon as possible.
Of course, as there are moderators for each server in which you participate in discussions, you can always report hate speech or a similar issue to them either. Some problems can be resolved by talking to a user who’s written something that doesn’t align with the guidelines just because they were angry.
But in more severe cases of a rule violation, you can always go for the official report to the Trust and Safety team.
How to Report a User on Discord on the Windows App
Are you using Discord on your computer? Here’s how you can report a user on the Windows app.
- Open Discord on your computer. If you’re not logged in, do so now.
- You’ll see the gear icon at the bottom of the screen, select it to open Settings.
- Select the Appearance option from the menu you see on the left.
- If you don’t see it immediately, scroll down to the Advanced section, locate the Developer Mode and switch the toggle to enable it.
Once you’ve finished doing this, you need to get the necessary IDs to report the user.
- Go to the message you believe violates the Discord guidelines.
- Right-click on the person’s username and then click on the Copy ID option from the list.
- Paste the ID somewhere you can quickly grab it from later.
- Now click on the three-dot icon you’ll see while hovering over the message you want to report. Choose ‘Copy Message Link.’
Now you’re ready to report the user to the Trust and Safety team. If there isn’t a specific message you want to report, but only the user and his behavior in general, you won’t need the message ID. In that case, you can skip the last set of instructions.
Along with the IDs, you’ll need to provide your email address and briefly explain why you’re reporting this person. When you’re done, just click on Submit, and that’s it.
If you want to know what happens with your report, check your mail inbox regularly because that’s where you’ll receive your reply.
How to Report a User on Discord on the Mac App
If you have a Mac computer, you’ll discover that reporting a user on Discord works in the same way as on Windows PCs.
All you need to do is:
- Open the Discord app on your Mac.
- Select the User Settings by clicking the gear icon at the bottom of the screen.
- From the left sidebar, choose Appearance and then scroll to the Advanced tab.
- The first option is Developer Mode, so click the toggle to set it to ON.
- Once you’ve done this, you’re ready to get the IDs you’ll need to paste into your report.
- Right-click the username of the person you want to report and paste their ID to a safe place. Do the same with their message – click the three-dot icon you’ll see when you hover the cursor over the message and get its link.
- Paste the two IDs into your report and add a brief explanation to the Description box. When you’re done, click on Submit, and you’re done.
How to Report a Discord User for Being Under 13
Most social platforms will only allow you to create a profile if you’re over 13 years old. Unfortunately, it’s not always possible to prove someone’s younger than this age. Still, if you have a reason to suspect someone has been breaking this rule, you can report them and let the Discord team take it from there. However, you should know that Discord probably won’t ban this person unless you have solid proof of their age.
How do you report a suspicious user?
According to Discord, you should send them a direct email. You can also use the official report form and report this user like any other. Just add the reason to the Description box, and use the Attachments option to add proof if you have it.
Want to know more about reporting people on Discord? Here is some additional information you may find useful.
Can I Easily Block Someone on Discord?
Yes. You can use any device to either block someone’s direct messages or their profile, then you won’t be able to see each other on the platform anymore.
If you only want to block the messages, open the Privacy Settings by clicking the down arrow on the upper left corner of the screen, next to the server name.
Switch the toggle to disable the Allow direct messages from server members option.
If you want to block a user, click a person’s username to open their profile. Click the three-dot icon next to the Send Friend Request button. A drop-down menu will appear, so select Block, and that’s it.
When Is It Appropriate to Report a User on Discord?
As mentioned, it’s essential to be sure that someone’s behavior or messages are breaking Discord’s rules. Here are the most common reasons for reporting a user on this platform:
• Sending spam messages
• Harassing or threatening other users
• Sharing photos of animal cruelty
• Sharing child pornography
• Violating IP rights
• Promoting self-harm or suicide
• Distributing viruses
You can also report someone if they’re picking on you personally. Discord isn’t a platform where you should feel threatened in any way – it’s a place to enjoy chatting with people who like the same things as you. But before you report a user, you can try talking to them or even asking a server moderator for help. If that doesn’t work, reporting someone may be the only option.
Make Your Discord Environment Better
When someone’s toxic or even cruel in an environment where you should make friends and have fun, you just have to do something. Reporting a user who’s inappropriate on Discord doesn’t only benefit you, but it can also make everyone else’s experience on this platform much better.
Why should anyone have to deal with rude comments or behavior online? You wouldn’t put up with such things in the real world, so there’s no need to tolerate harassment in the virtual world either.
Have you ever wanted to report someone on Discord? How did you solve the situation? Share your experience in the comments section below.