How to Unban Someone on Discord
Discord boasts many exciting features, such as communicating with other gamers or friends through groups. However, all members of a group need to avoid spamming and trolling. If they don’t comply with these rules, the server moderators have the authority to ban them.
But what if they ban someone accidentally? Is it possible to unban that person? Moreover, are the steps different or the same if you use MEE6, Dyno, or Carl? Find out in this guide.
How to Unban Someone on Discord
The most straightforward way to unban someone on Discord is to do so using a computer. But keep in mind that you can only do this if you’re an administrator of a server. Whether you’re a Mac, Windows, or Chromebook user, the process is going to remain the same. Here’s how to unban someone on Discord with just a few clicks:
- Launch Discord on your computer.
- Go to the server or the channel from which you want to unban someone.
- Click on the down arrow on the top left of the screen next to the server name. Doing so will open the drop-down menu.
- Click on Server Settings.
- Tap on Bans at the bottom of the page menu on the left. There will be a list of all banned users on the right.
- Choose the member to unban. You can type the person’s name in the search box if there are many banned members.
- A pop-up message will appear asking you to choose whether you want to revoke a ban. Click on Revoke Ban.
Once you follow these steps, the banned member can use the server again.
An easier way to unban someone on any Discord server is by accessing the Settings from the Server List. Here’s how to do this:
- Open Discord and check the servers on the left of the page.
- Select the one from which you’ve banned a person.
- Right-click on the server and click on Server Settings from the drop-down menu.
- Tap on Overview.
- Scroll down the sidebar and select Bans.
- Tap on the person you want to unban. Then, check if that’s the right user and their ID.
- Click on Revoke Ban.
It’s simple as that! The person will now be allowed to use the server.
How to Unban Someone on Discord on Android or iPhone
If you use Discord on your smartphone and want to unban a member, know that the steps will be the same whether you’re an Android or an iPhone user. Here’s what you need to do:
- Launch Discord on your smartphone.
- Choose the server on the left from which you banned a member.
- Click on the three-dot icon on the top left of the screen.
- Hit on the gear icon.
- Tap on Bans.
- Tap on their name.
- Finally, click on Unban.
How to Temporarily Ban Someone
Perhaps you want to ban members temporarily. Unfortunately, it isn’t possible to set a temporary ban using Discord’s native features. But, you can set a ‘Timeout’ role and use a bot to automatically assign members to that role.
Here’s what to do:
- Open Discord and navigate to the server.
- Right-click the server and click Server.
- Click Roles.
- Click Create Role.
- Name your timeout role. Then, click Permissions at the top.
- Scroll through the list and turn off permissions.
- Click Save Changes to create the Timeout role.
You can create the Timeout role to completely restrict users from interacting with your Server. If you want to assign members to this role automatically you can use a bot.
Check out this article if you aren’t sure how to use a bot to set automatic roles in Discord.
How to IP Ban Someone on Discord
Generally speaking, all bans on Discord are IP-based. This means when a moderator bans a user, they ban all other people using the same IP address from accessing the server in question. So, keep this in mind when you decide to ban a member. To IP ban someone, whether you’re using Dyno, Carl, or MEE6 as your role bot, here’s what you should do:
- Open Discord on your computer.
- Chose the server from the left side of the screen.
- Tap on the member you want to ban.
- Right-click on their name and look for Ban from the drop-down menu.
- You’ll see the pop-up menu. Here, it’s possible to delete the comments of the member.
- Write why you’re banning this person in the comments box.
- Tap Ban.
If there’s anything else you’re interested in finding out regarding bans on Discord, check out the next section:
Are Bans on Discord Permanent?
Whether the ban is permanent on Discord depends on the type of ban involved. Server bans occur when a moderator bans a member from a particular server. This means that anyone using the same IP address can’t access that server. This ban doesn’t need to be permanent. The moderator may decide to unban that person, so they’ll be allowed into the server again.
However, there are also system-wide bans. The Discord Trust & Safety team will ban accounts. These bans are permanent and prevent the user from using the entire Discord platform.
What Happens If You Ban Someone on Discord?
When a moderator bans someone on Discord, this member can’t post on the server, see messages, send or get voice chats. They also can’t see other users on the server from which they’ve been banned. Since these bans are IP-based, other people using the same IP address won’t be able to access the same server.
The person you’ve banned won’t get a notification. But when they try to enter the server, they’ll see a message that the link has expired.
Can I Get Unbanned on Discord?
Unless a moderator decides to unban a member, there’s no way to do it yourself. However, a banned member can reach the server moderator, apologize for whatever made this person ban them, and hope they’ll revoke the ban. But remember that this is only possible if the moderator hasn’t also blocked you. If that’s the case, you won’t be able to send them a message.
If Discord has banned a member, the only way to get unbanned is to contact Discord and appeal. Banned members can write in detail about the problem and hope for the best. Here’s what to do to write to Discord:
1. Go to the Discord Support Page and select Submit a request.
2. Choose Trust & Safety in the dropdown menu under Submit a request.
3. Fill out the form. Choose Appeals, age update, other questions from the How can we help? menu.
4. Attach any documents that support your appeal and click Submit.
Can You Ban Someone Again After Unbanning Them on Discord?
Even if a moderator revokes a ban, it’s still possible to ban a member again if there’s a good reason for that. The moderator should follow the same steps they did the first time to ban this member.
Unbanning Discord Members
Whether you’re using Discord on your computer or a smartphone, it’s possible to unban a member you’ve previously banned. Perhaps you’ve made a mistake, or they sent a message apologizing, which is why you decide to revoke a ban.
Keep in mind that if that member violates the rules at any point, you can ban them once again. Since these are IP-based bans, they won’t be able to use the server even if they make another account but still use the same IP address.
Have you managed to unban a member on Discord? Did you experience any issues? Did you have to ban the same member twice? Let us know your experience regarding bans and the most common reasons for banning members – our community would love to hear more.