How To Leave a Voice Channel in Discord
Hopping in and out of a voice channel in Discord is quite simple. There are no magic tips and tricks to pulling it off, just understanding which icons are for what and where to find them.
If you’re having issues jumping out of a voice channel or would prefer to stay in the channel but have it muted, I’ve got you. Let’s take a look at how to leave a voice channel in Discord.
How to Leave a Voice Channel on Discord
Depending on the platform you’re using, you can leave a Discord channel using the desktop or mobile app. I’ll walk you through how to leave a voice channel using either method below.
Let’s begin with how to leave a Discord voice channel using the desktop app.
Discord Desktop Application
To leave a Discord voice channel using the desktop app, follow these steps:
- Just below where the channel names are displayed, you should see a box similar to this one:
- This box provides a few bits of information. To the right, you’ll find the call connection icon (phone with an ‘x’). Click this icon to leave the voice channel.
- While still connected to the voice server, you can swap freely between all voice channels. By left-clicking on one of the channels, you will be instantly moved from your current channel to the new one.
As you can see, leaving a voice channel on Discord is as easy as following a few simple steps.
Using a Smartphone or Tablet
So now that you know how to leave a voice channel on the Discord desktop app, you might want to know how to do the same on your phone or tablet.
Follow these steps to do so:
- Tap the voice channel you are currently engaged with.
- Tap the menu icon (a gear) to the right of the channel name to change the channel and voice settings.
- To disconnect from the voice server (and channel), tap on the Phone icon in the bottom right corner.
How to Mute a Channel in Discord
Sometimes you’re doing things in a voice channel that may prevent you from leaving, yet you still don’t want to talk or listen to others talk. This is where the options to mute or deafen come in handy.
From a voice channel:
- By clicking on your avatar, you can display your availability by choosing between one of four options:
- Online (to indicate that you are readily available).
- Idle (for when you’re around but haven’t performed an action in awhile).
- Do Not Disturb (this option will also disable desktop notifications from Discord).
- Invisible (renders you invisible while offline but still gives you full access).
- You’ll also see a few icons:
- Microphone (this will allow you to mute and unmute your microphone).
- Headphones (this will mute both your microphone and your speakers so that you hear no one and no one hears you).
- User Settings (a plethora of options that have nothing to do with the topic of this article).
- To mute or unmute your mic, left-click the Microphone icon. To deafen yourself, click the Headphones icon.
If you’d like to mute or deafen the channel itself, and you have the proper permissions to do so:
- Right-click the channel name and select Edit Channel.
- From the menu on the left, select the Permissions tab.
- In the window to the right, scroll to the Voice Permissions section and click the green checkmark to the right of Mute Members to mute the channel, or to the right of Deafen Members to deafen the channel.
- Once a selection is made, the Save Changes button pops up. Click it to confirm.
To unmute (or undeafen) the channel, you’ll want to click on either the red ‘X’ or gray ‘/’ icon.
How to Delete a Discord Channel
Sometimes you just don’t want to be bothered with all of crazy and would instead prefer to do away with the channel altogether. Easy fix, so long as you are the owner or a server administrator.
To completely delete a voice channel and forego the need to leave it, just:
- Right-click the channel you wish to remove.
- From the popup box select Delete Channel.
- A popup dialog will ask if you’re sure. Click Delete Channel once more to confirm.
Discord is a great platform for communicating with your friends through voice, text, and video chat. While it may take some getting used to, the app is very easy to use once you get the hang of it.
By following the steps above, you’ll be able to easily leave, mute, or delete a Discord channel on desktop or mobile devices.