How To Mirror an Android Phone with the Amazon Fire Stick
For the last ten years, streaming movies and television shows have gone from a niche, nerdy way to watch your favorite entertainment to how most people spend some of their free time. One lesser-known feature of the Amazon Fire TV Stick is mirroring a smartphone or tablet screen to your TV. You can even mirror Windows 10 to a Fire TV Stick or Cube. This feature lets you play movies or TV shows from your phone, play games with a giant display, or have a big-screen video chat. You can mirror just the screen or the screen plus audio.
Note: This article is about “mirroring” your phone or tablet screen to a Fire TV Stick or Fire Cube, not casting to it as you do with apps like Netflix, YouTube, etc.
Regardless, since Amazon and Google only partially collaborate, you must take extra steps to mirror an Android phone to your Fire TV device. As for iPhones and iOS tablets, they don’t mirror to any Fire devices at all, so you need additional steps to get the job done. Isn’t that great?
Anyhow, setting up mirroring from Android and iPhone/iOS to your Fire TV Stick or Fire Cube is not that difficult—it just requires multiple actions. Let’s get started!
How to Mirror/Cast iPhones & Android Phones or Tablets to Your Fire TV Stick
The first step to mirroring your phone or tablet to your Firestick or Fire TV Cube is to activate the feature. Now, Amazon incorporates a mirroring option in the “Settings” menu, but it doesn’t work with Android or iPhone/iOS devices.
Amazon wants you to subscribe to Prime Video and mirror their exclusive products, such as Fire tablets. In contrast, Google wants you to use their specific products and services, such as Google Pixel smartphones and Chromecast laptops. The same scenario goes for Apple. Can you see the dilemma now? So much for a Miracast standard, right?
To mirror your Android device to your Fire TV Stick or Fire Cube, the Fire device requires a mirroring app such as “Airscreen.” This app works on Android and iOS/iPhone devices, so it often becomes the app to use.
Even though Fire devices have a mirroring option like your phone, they usually don’t communicate with the default settings. This situation is why you need help from a third-party application. Here’s how to install Airscreen on the Fire TV Stick or Fire Cube and your Android/iPhone device.
Activating Android Mirroring on Your Firestick using AirScreen
- On the “Home” screen, scroll down one row (from the preview section at the top to the menu bar below it) and select “Find,” then choose “Search.”
- Type “airscreen” or a shorter variant into the search bar and choose “AirScreen” from the list. You no longer need the “Easy Fire Tools” app to install AirScreen—it is available in the Amazon App Store.
- In the window that appears, choose the “AirScreen” app.
- In the Airscreen app window, select “Get.”
- Launch AirScreen and select “Confirm.”
- A new screen appears, displaying a QR code and a URL. You’ll use one of the two on your smartphone to link them together.
- If the visual examples in the steps above do not match your Firestick, it probably needs an update or is an older model. Go to “Settings -> My Fire TV -> About” and select “Install System Update” or “Check for System Update.”
- Scan the QR code on your TV on your smartphone or tablet or go directly to the specified URL.
- Choose from “In App content” or “Entire screen.”
Your Android device now gets mirrored onto the Fire TV Stick or Fire Cube, which appears on the TV.
Note: YouTube may automatically include your Fire TV Stick as a casting source after installing AirScreen on the Fire device—this was confirmed on Android 11 Motorola G Fast. However, other phone apps like Netflix and Disney+ may require you to scan the QR code or go to the displayed URL in the AirScreeen Amazon app to mirror your phone or tablet (not casting). Non-Amazon devices like Chromecast with Google TV and Roku appear as mirroring sources without any third-party intervention.
Once you enable the mirroring service on your Android device, your Fire TV Stick should begin displaying whatever is on the screen.
How to Mirror/Cast iOS Phones or Tablets to Your Fire TV Stick or Fire Cube
Fire OS does not support Apple AirPlay, the default mirroring app on your iOS device, but a third-party app called AirScreen works with AirPlay to deliver the casting functions you need.
- On your Fire TV Stick, search for and install “AirScreen.”
- Launch “AirScreen” on your Firestick and select “Confirm” once you have both the Firestick and iOS device on the same network.
- Use your iPhone, iPad, or other iOS device to scan the “QR Code” on the TV.
- When prompted for what to mirror, select “Entire screen” or “In-app content.”
- Follow the instructions to mirror on your iOS device.
- Swipe down from the top of your iPhone or other iOs device and choose “Screen Mirroring.”
In closing, mirroring the content of your Android or iOS/iPhone device to your Fire TV Stick or even Fire TV Cube is relatively easy. Third-party apps like AirScreen let you mirror your device’s display to your Fire TV Stick from almost any device, except you can’t mirror streaming apps like you can with native mirroring options. As for iPhone and iOS devices, Fire OS does not support AirPlay, but apps like AirScreen work with AirPlay’s features to deliver the goods!