How to Install Google Play on an Amazon Fire TV Stick
So, you bought an Amazon Fire TV Stick and set it all up. You are probably wondering what else you can do with it. In fact, if you have made it along to this article, chances are you have realized that the Amazon Fire TV Stick is actually rather limited in its functionality, even if it is convenient. If you want to expand your choices for what it can do, installing the Google Play Store onto the device is a great solution.
There are a lot of ways to customize a Firestick and adding Google Play to your device is no different.
Be warned, installing Google Play onto an Amazon Fire TV Stick does not give you every app available on the Google Play Store. Instead, you are given a wider selection of streaming apps and, chiefly, a wider variety of VPNs that can be used to circumvent region blocks on the content. Here’s how to install Google Play on an Amazon Fire Stick.
Step 1: Turn on Developer Options
To get started, you need to authorize the applications that you’ll download to make this work. Follow these steps to turn on your developer’s options.
- Go to “Settings” on your Amazon Fire TV Stick and tap “My Fire TV.”
- Select “Developer Options” to install files and apps from stores and locations outside the Amazon Fire Stick software. You need to effectively give the Fire Stick permission to do so. This also means that you accept the risks involved, which include a higher chance of installing malware from third-party, dodgy apps that have not been vetted by Amazon or Google.
- Click “Apps from Unknown Sources” and “ADB Debugging” to set them to “ON.”
You can now move forward and download the content needed to add the Google Play store to your firestick.
Step 2: Install a Third-Party File Manager
- Download and install “Downloader” from the built-in Amazon App Store.
- Use the file manager/downloader and install four separate APK files to get Google Play on your Amazon Fire TV Stick: Google Services Framework, Google Account Manager, Google Play Services, and Google Play Store.
- Tap Download Manager under Tools. On the left-hand side of ES File Explorer tap Tools, then tap Download Manager.
- Install Google files. This will install the Google Play Store to your Amazon Fire TV Stick and the store will appear as an app in the Applications menu. If you do not feel confident rooting your device in this way, there is a workaround.
Method 2 – Downloader for Firestick
Although it is not Google Play, there is a great alternative to the Play Store available in your Firestick’s Store. Aptoid TV is simple to download and use and can be installed using the Downloader app on your Amazon device.
Once Downloader is installed, you will need a URL to download Aptoid TV. Install the service using Downloader and browse the comprehensive lists of Google Play apps. These apps range from Twitch to Popcorn Time and more.