How to Mirror a Phone, Mac, or PC to a Fire TV Stick
Nowadays, the casting or mirroring of various devices to a smart TV has become relatively commonplace. However, the increased number of manufacturers poses compatibility issues that tend to crop up.
An example of this would be Amazon’s Firestick, which doesn’t easily sync with other devices right out of the box. This article shows you how to mirror Android, iOS, Mac, Windows, and Chromebook to a Firestick and cast from those devices.
Create Initial Wireless Settings First
Before we start, ensure that your Amazon Firestick is connected to the same Wi-Fi network as the device that you want to mirror. To check the name of the network, do the following:
- Open your Fire TV and proceed to the Home Page. Navigate to “Settings” on the top menu.
- On the Menu icons that appear, navigate to and open “Network.”
- You will be shown a list of available Wi-Fi connections. The one marked as Connected should be the same as the device you are trying to mirror to Firestick. If it is not, connect either your Firestick or your other gadget to the same network.
Once you complete the above steps, proceed with the instructions below based on the device you want to mirror Chrome from.
How to Mirror Android to an Amazon Firestick
Using an Android Device to mirror or cast to a Firestick is a relatively simple process, especially now that Amazon has eased its restrictions on Chromecast for its products. To do this, follow these steps:
- On your Fire TV remote, hold down the “Home” button until the menu appears, then select “Settings.”
- In the main “Settings” menu that opens up, select “Display & Sounds.”
- Choose “Enable Display Mirroring.”
- A screen appears showing the wireless mirror status and the device which receives the mirrored display. Leave your Fire TV on this screen to enable your device to connect to it. Remember the Fire TV Stick’s name.
- On your Android Phone, swipe down from the top to show the “Cast” icon. If you can not see the icon, proceed to your phone’s “Settings” option and look for “Wireless and Bluetooth Connections.” It should be located there. Most devices have this enabled on the down swipe menu by default.
- A message will show saying Searching for devices.
- Look for the name of your Fire TV and tap on that.
- Your Fire TV should mirror your phone’s screen after a few seconds. If you want to stream videos from your Android to the Fire TV, tapping on cast should do this automatically.
How to Mirror Windows 10 to an Amazon Firestick
Windows 10, the newest version of the Windows OS, has Miracast enabled by default This is important as this is what will connect you to the Fire TV. The steps are quite similar to casting using an Android in regards to the Fire TV settings, with a few differences to connecting with a PC.
- Proceed to the Display Mirroring Screen as shown above. Remember your Fire TV’s name.
- Click on the Notifications icon. This is the rightmost icon on your taskbar.
- Click on Expand on the lower left of the Notifications menu.
- Find and click on Project. Choose your preferred projection type. You can change this anytime to suit your needs.
- Click on Connect to a wireless display.
- Click on your Fire TV’s name to start mirroring. If you can not find your TV’s name, click on “Find other types of devices” and look for it there. If you still can not find your Fire TV, check if you are connected to the same network.
- You should start mirroring your PC screen now.
How to Mirror an iPhone to an Amazon Firestick
Using the Firestick on iOS devices like the iPhone is not as straightforward as using an Android, but it can still be done with a few extra steps. The Firestick and iOS will not connect right off the bat as Android can. To accomplish this, do the following:
- On your Fire TV, navigate to the “Magnifying Glass icon.” This is the option located in the very leftmost area of the menu.
- Type in “Airscreen.”
- Install “Airscreen.” This is a free app that will allow your iPhone to connect to your Firestick TV. If you want to learn more about the app before installing it, proceed to the Airscreen webpage.
- Once it is installed, open “Airscreen.” If you are using the app for the first time, it displays a small tutorial popup. Click on the “How to Use and Start Now button” if you wish to view the tutorial. Otherwise, select “Start Now.”
- On the menu, access settings by clicking on the “Gear icon.” Make sure that the “AirPlay” option is enabled.
- Return to the first menu, then navigate to “Start,” and then click on the “Start icon.”
- On your iPhone, swipe down to open the main settings icons. Tap on “Screen Mirroring.”
- Look for your Fire TV’s name, then tap on it.
- Your device should now be mirrored to your Fire TV.
How to Mirror Mac to an Amazon Firestick
Unsurprisingly, the iPhone and Mac share similar steps when connecting to a Fire TV device. AirScreen is still the main application needed to stream to the Firestick. Follow the steps below to accomplish this:
- If you have not done so, download and install Airscreen as shown in the steps above.
- Check the “Airplay” options on your Fire TV’s Settings.
- Proceed to the Help menu.
- Choose the macOS icon and click on it.
- Select AirPlay.
- Click on your AirPlay icon on your Mac Dock. If the icon is not there you can enable it by opening the Apple menu, clicking on Display, then choosing the Arrangement tab. Make sure both the Mirror Displays and Show mirroring checkbox options on the menu bar when available are ticked.
- Choose your Fire TV’s name from the AirPlay menu on your Mac.
- Press OK on your Fire remote.
- Your screen should now be mirrored.
How to Mirror a Chromebook to an Amazon Firestick
Casting anything using a Chromebook is very different than using other devices, whether Android, iOS, Mac, or PC. This is because the Chromebook is locked to the Chrome OS.
The Chromebook was designed to run without any additional apps or at least none that are not approved by Google. This means that casting on a Chromebook can only be done using an HDMI cable by default. There are ways to bypass this, but it is not guaranteed to work.
A workaround would be to enable Chromebook’s Google Play Store. To do so, follow these steps:
- Click on the Quick Settings Panel at the bottom right of your Chromebook’s screen.
- Click on the Gear icon to open Settings.
- Scroll down and find the Google Play Store tab. Click on Turn On. Accept the Terms of Service.
- Open the Google Play Store.
From here, you can search for casting apps to connect to your Firestick. Some of the more popular apps are AllCast, Cast TV, and Cast Videos. Download and install these on your Chromebook and follow the instructions as per each application.
As said, these are not surefire ways to cast. Because different manufacturers have different device settings, your particular Chromebook model may or may not support casting.
Waiting for Integration
Until such a time that all casting devices follow a single protocol, it will always be a struggle to get them to work with each other. Although the Amazon Firestick now allows Chromecast on its products, it is still not fully integrated and requires a few extra steps to enable them to mirror properly. For now, the only thing we can do is wait for the various manufacturers to agree on a standard.
Here are a few frequently asked questions regarding using the Amazon Firestick to cast to your particular device:
Why is my mirrored stream to Firestick choppy?
Because of prior disagreements between Google and Amazon, the Chromecast and the Firestick were designed to run on different casting protocols. This means that compatibility issues between Chrome and the Firestick are to be expected. If you are experiencing choppy streaming it may just be because of that incompatibility.
You may also be experiencing lag due to slow internet speeds, or lack of bandwidth. Check if other devices are using your internet connection. It could be an ISP problem and you’re not the only one experiencing slow connection speeds.
My Fire TV stick is not showing up, what is happening?
If you cannot see your Fire TV on your other device’s casting choices, or vice versa, then both devices may not be sharing the same network. Both your Fire TV and the device you wish to cast from must have the same Wi-Fi name. Check both your Firestick and your gadget’s Wi-Fi settings to ensure that they are on the same home network.
What are some useful pieces of software to help with mirroring devices?
As indicated above, the PC and Android have Miracast enabled by default. This casting protocol is usually the only thing you need to be able to cast using these two devices. If you can not seem to make them work, then the Google Apps indicated above, namely AllCast, Cast TV, and Cast Videos may work for you.
For Apple iOS and macOS, the AirScreen app available from the Fire TV menu itself enables mirroring quite well.