How to Delete a Plex Server
Plex is one of the most popular media streaming services. Unlike typical on-demand streaming services, Plex organizes users’ own collections and streams them via media players. The program turns your computer into a server and streams your chosen content.
If you have old or unavailable servers on your Plex Media Server, you’ll want to delete them to ensure smooth operation. This article will explain how to delete old Plex servers to prevent lag.
How to Delete a Plex Server
There are numerous reasons why one would consider deleting a Plex server.
For example, you may have moved your content from an old server to a new one. If, at any point, the two servers were running simultaneously on the same network, the new server will identify the old one as a recognized device. Over time, this could cause problems because the new server will constantly look for the old, non-operational server.
Or, you may come to realize you simply can’t access a particular server. You could also have unnecessary or duplicate servers you don’t want.
Let’s see how to delete a Plex server using numerous devices.
How to Delete a Plex Server on a PC
Removing a server is done through the program and only takes a few steps. While none of the media files on your computer will be deleted, remember that you’ll lose access to all libraries on that server.
Here’s how to delete a Plex server on your PC:
- Launch Plex on your computer.
- Press the settings icon.
- Select “Authorized Devices” at the left side. You’ll see a list of all devices connected to your server.
- Choose “Server” from the drop down menu.
- Locate the server you wish to remove and press the red “x” in the top-right corner.
- You’ll see a prompt informing you that you’ll lose syncs and shares connected to the server. Press “Remove.”
Tip: Since you can have multiple similar servers, pay attention to which one you’re removing. Use the server’s name and operating system to confirm you’re removing the right one.
How to Delete a Plex Server on a Mac
Besides Windows, Plex is also available on Macs. In fact, Plex was originally designed for Mac computers back in 2007.
If you want to delete a Plex server using your Mac, follow the instructions below:
It may take a few minutes before the server is removed. We recommend refreshing the client after the process is completed.
- Open Plex on your Mac device.
- Select the settings icon.
- Choose “Authorized Devices” at the top-right corner of the page. That way, you’ll access all devices connected to your servers.
- Select “Server” from the drop down menu to filter the list of devices.
- Find the server you want to delete and tap the letter “x” at the top-right corner. Before pressing “x,” double-check the server’s name and operating system.
- A message will appear on your screen informing you that all syncs and shares connected to that server will be lost. Select “Remove.”
- You’ll see the same message once again. Press “Yes, I’m sure” to confirm.
How To Delete a Plex Server in Linux
Many users enjoy Plex on their Linux devices. If you want to learn how to delete a Plex server on Linux, follow the steps below:
- Open Plex.
- Go to settings.
- Select “Devices” at the top-right corner. You’ll see a list of all connected devices.
- Press “Server” on the left menu. That way, you’ll narrow down the list of displayed devices.
- Locate the server you wish to remove. Since some servers may have a similar name, make sure to double-check its operating system to confirm you’re removing the right one. Press “x” in the top-right corner.
- Plex will now display a prompt informing you that syncs and shares related to that server will be lost. Choose “Remove.”
- The same message will be displayed again. Select “Yes, I’m sure.”
As soon as you press “Yes, I’m sure,” you’ll see a progress spinner on your screen. Since the process may take several minutes, don’t exit Plex until it’s completed. After the server has been removed, it may be necessary to refresh the program.
How to Delete a Plex Library
Users often wish to delete a Plex library when it begins malfunctioning. By deleting it, you won’t remove the media from the server, but it will make the media unavailable to other clients. Deleting and creating a new library is often simpler than rebuilding the old one.
Follow these steps to delete a Plex library:
1. Launch Plex.
2. Find the “Libraries” section in the left menu and hover over the one you want to delete. Press the three dots on the right.
3. Select “Delete.”
4. A prompt will appear informing you the library will be removed from your server while your media files won’t be affected. Mark the checkbox and press “Delete.”
The “Delete” button will now turn into a progress spinner. The process could take a few minutes.
Enjoy Free Content
Plex enables you to add, share, and access all kinds of media content and offers thousands of on-demand titles and live TV. Although the program features a paid version, all basic Plex functions are free, allowing anyone to enjoy it.
We hope this article taught you more about Plex and explained when you should consider deleting a server and how to do it.
Do you often use Plex to stream content? How do you like its features? Tell us in the comments section below.
Disclaimer: Some pages on this site may include an affiliate link. This does not effect our editorial in any way.
3 thoughts on “How to Delete a Plex Server”