How to Find Your Team ID in Slack
Slack makes remote working easy and lots of fun. You need only create an account, find your team on Slack, to start working with them. Once you’ve set up your profile, you’re ready to submit projects, exchange ideas, and chat with your colleagues. All of which makes remote working are far from lonely experience.
If you want to know how to join a team on Slack, by finding their ID, keep reading this article.
Where’s My Team’s ID?
Every team on Slack needs to have a name and unique ID for their workspace. In the past, finding your team’s ID was a complicated process. Today, however, the answer is hiding in plain sight.
To find your team’s ID, do the following:
- Open your web browser, then sign in to your Slack account.
- When you’re logged in, go to your main workspace page and take a look at the URL in the search bar at the top.
- The URL goes like this: https://app.slack.com/client/T… The following numbers represent your team ID.
Before you needed to use tokens or had to visit a page source or use development tools to find this information. But since July last year, Slack has made this process much easier.
Note that this is also where you can see a channel ID, if you need that information as well. Go to the desired channel and check the URL. After your team ID, there’s a C followed by a sequence of numbers. That’s the selected channel ID.
How to Find User ID on Slack
Every member of your team has their own ID. You can find yours in a few simple steps:
- In the top right corner of the screen, there’s a three-dot icon. Click to open.
- Choose the Workspace Directory from the list.
Note that you can also access the Directory by pressing Ctrl+Shift+E on the keyboard.
- Select a team member from the list on the right.
- Next to the Message and Call buttons, click on the three dots.
- Within the Copy member ID option, you’ll be able to see their ID. Click to copy if necessary.
Note that you can only see a member’s ID when accessing Slack from your PC. You can use the app or go to Slack via a web browser. You can’t find member IDs on your mobile device.
How to Join My Team on Slack?
The most common way for you to join a team on Slack is to receive an invitation. Usually, when you get hired by a company that uses Slack, you’ll receive an email from the manager inviting you to join the rest of the team. All you need to do is accept the invitation by clicking Join now and follow the on-screen instructions to set up an account.
You can continue using Slack in your web browser or download the desktop app. The mobile app is available for Android and iOS devices.
If you have an email address on your company’s domain, you may be able to join even if you haven’t received an invitation yet. Here’s how:
- Launch your web browser and go to slack.com/get-started.
- Select Find your workspace.
- Type in the email address that belongs to your company’s domain (or an approved one).
- Go to your email inbox, then confirm the address by clicking on the link in the email you’ve just received from Slack.
- Click Join next to the desired workspace name.
- Follow the instructions to create an account.
For Mobile Devices
You can follow the same steps whether you have an Android or an iOS device:
- Go to the App Store or Google Play Store and download the Slack app.
- Select Get started.
- Type in the email address approved by your company.
- Open your email inbox and the email you’ve received from Slack and confirm your email address. If you tap Confirm email address, you’ll be taken directly to the app. If you select Sign in manually, you’ll need to type in the URL and the password.
- Find the workspace you want to join and tap Join workspace.
Note that your company may be using a single sign-on. In this case, Slack may already have your information, so you can skip some of the steps. Just authenticate your account, and you’re ready to go. You’ll get an email with a link you’ll need to click within the 72 hours from the moment you received the email. After that, you’ll be able to sign in to your Slack workspace without having to use your own address and password.
Unique IDs for Unique Teams
There are no two teams with the same ID on Slack. Ultimately, the ID and the name help your team stay unique, but it’s also how Slack makes sure everything is organized and works correctly in their virtual workspace.
You don’t need to know your team ID to join your colleagues on Slack, but you may need it for some other purposes. Whatever the reason, you won’t have any trouble finding the code. Once you’re a member of the team, it’s right there in the URL.
Did you find it challenging to find your team ID before this option was available? Let us know in the comments section below.